Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Where is sendmail on 10.3?

Where is sendmail on 10.3?
nemanirc
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2003, 03:20 PM

I used this article on MacDevCenter to configure sendmail on 10.2: http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/ma...il.html?page=1 . I was going to configure it in 10.3, but cannot find the sendmail files. I am a UNIX novice, but was successfully able to start up and use sendmail in 10.2.
R. C. Nemanick, Ph.D.
PBG4 12" 867MHz 640 MB RAM
PMG3 500MHz 1 GB RAM

lars-man
Nov 4, 2003, 03:38 PM

Originally posted by nemanirc:
I used this article on MacDevCenter to configure sendmail on 10.2: http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/ma...il.html?page=1 . I was going to configure it in 10.3, but cannot find the sendmail files. I am a UNIX novice, but was successfully able to start up and use sendmail in 10.2.
As far as I know Panther comes with postfix - a serious alternative for sendmail. Many people say postfix is easier to configure and even has a better performance than sendmail. But how to configure it? I don't know - search google for example...

Kind regards
Lars

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 4, 2003, 08:39 PM

Originally posted by lars-man:
Many people say postfix is easier to configure and even has a better performance than sendmail. But how to configure it?
I followed the short guide here, it's quite straightforward.

TommyLeeRoth
Forum Regular
Nov 5, 2003, 09:35 AM

/usr/sbin/sendmail

mania
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 7, 2003, 02:23 AM

w00t! i run a linux server with postfix (used to use sendmail) and let me say it is way way better. sendmail is crap - so easy to break - so unnecessarily complicated.

kidtexas
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 8, 2003, 01:57 AM

There's a bit about postfix here.
http://www.stepwise.com/Articles/Wor...art.1.3.3.html
alot you can figure out just by reading the comments in the config files, found in /etc/postfix/ main.cf is the main file and will get you most of the way there. You might consider reinstalling postfix to make sure you have the newest version - directions are found at the above link. I really haven't gotten into panther postfix, but when I had it running in 10.1 and 10.2, it was all good. In those user installs, there were alot of sample config files in the /etc/postfix directory - I don't think they are there in the 10.3 default install. Also be sure to check out http://www.postfix.org/ - the docs and faqs are quite good - there is a link to a mail list that is also quite good.

Wevah
Senior User
Nov 8, 2003, 09:36 PM

Originally posted by TommyLeeRoth:
/usr/sbin/sendmail
Is that really sendmail, or the postfix sendmail compatibilty binary?

Late edit: I'm just asking this because AFAIK postfix (and some other mail daemons) have a binary called 'sendmail' which responds to the same input normal sendmail does for other programs that interface with it.
( Last edited by Wevah; Nov 9, 2003 at 02:36 PM. )
[Wevah setPostCount:[Wevah postCount] + 1];

rkt
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 10, 2003, 12:50 PM

Originally posted by TommyLeeRoth:
/usr/sbin/sendmail
no; that's the postfix sendmail-compatibility binary...

(fyi, you'll also find "/usr/bin/newaliases" & "/usr/bin/mailq", but they're postfix too)

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Nov 10, 2003, 10:49 PM

Yes, there are frequently things called "sendmail" that are not really sendmail at all...postfix and exim both do this, afaik.
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Forum Links
Forum Rules