Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Test Results: GigaDesigns dual 1.4 GHz upgrade

Test Results: GigaDesigns dual 1.4 GHz upgrade
Macola
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2004, 08:59 PM

I upgraded my GigE single 450 MHz with a GigaDesigns dual 1.4 GHz CPU upgrade. Pretty smooth upgrade, although fitting the fan to the heatsink took longer than I would have liked, due to the extremely tiny screws involved.

Xbench scores:

Code:
Single 450: Dual 1.4 GHz Overall: 65 148 CPU: 52 172 Thread 40 178 Memory: 76 105 Quartz: 77 166 OpenGL: 55 132 UI: 105 233 Disk: 112 119
Not a dual G5 by any means, but definitely snappier�!
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 23, 2004, 09:07 PM

Congrats and welcome to the 'GigaClub'.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

desertfox
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2004, 10:49 PM

jes curious, but how much did you pay for that bad boy? Damn i wish i had one of those. But then again, i did notice quite an increase going from my g4 533 to an 867 with 2mb of cache.

cheers!

Macola  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2004, 09:51 AM

Originally posted by desertfox:
jes curious, but how much did you pay for that bad boy? Damn i wish i had one of those. But then again, i did notice quite an increase going from my g4 533 to an 867 with 2mb of cache.

cheers!
I got it for $649 from Smalldog ($50 cheaper than OWC). So far, it's been great, although my case has been heating up a bit. I initially thought it was the processor upgrade, but most of it seems to be generated by my Pioneer DVR-107.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2004, 11:43 AM

I recently upgraded a GigE dual 500MHz with an OWC single 1.4GHz module and a Pioneer DVR-107. Really is like a new machine. 'Cept Word 2004 is still dog-slow.

lars-man
Aug 8, 2004, 03:30 PM

What about the fan? Does this upgrade still have one big fan (that is said to be noisy) or is it already the newer revision with two smaller fans?

Kind regards,
Lars

Macola  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2004, 05:04 PM

No, it's two smaller fans that are pretty quiet. The PSU and case fans are much louder.

Chinasaur
Senior User
Aug 8, 2004, 05:32 PM

Macola,

What made you decide to go with the 1.4 vs the 1.2?

Congrats on a successful upgrade Got any pics?
( Last edited by Chinasaur; Aug 8, 2004 at 05:47 PM. )
iMac - Late 2015 iMac, 32GB RAM
MacBook - 2010 MacBook, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM

sideus
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2004, 05:47 PM

Congrats on the upgrade. But at $650, I'd probably use that towards a whole new system.

Macola  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2004, 10:53 AM

No pics, sorry. I chose the 1.4 instead of the 1.2 because the price wasn't a huge difference, and I need every Mhz I can get

Yeah, $650 isn't cheap, but I don't have the cash for a new system. Besides, I got the PowerMac case, logic board and PS very cheap at a local auction, so it was a pretty good deal for me.

SafariX
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2004, 11:23 AM

Looks like a nice upgrade...hopefully you got the rest of the G4 for cheap.

iamnotmad
Senior User
Aug 9, 2004, 12:38 PM

I've got one of these on order (well, 1.33ghz for 133bus QSdp800) looking forward to it. For me, it was a matter of just sort of maxing out the machine, and extending it's life. I've got 1.5GB (max, cl2(2-2-2) ram in there, and it's a great reliable machine. I've had it since it's introduction.

I'll be getting a g5 someday, but when I do my qsdp800(soon to be dual 1.33) will still be fast and useful, and upgraded out as far as speed and ram. $650 is a small fraction of a G5 powermac price, and will give me AT LEAST another year out of this as my main machine.

I'm glad to hear of the reliability and ease of upgrading with the giga upgrades. That made my decision vs. powerlogix.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2004, 12:50 PM

Dual processors are always nice.

Welcome to the dual-land.

faragbre967
Senior User
Aug 11, 2004, 08:34 PM

Originally posted by iamnotmad:
I've got one of these on order (well, 1.33ghz for 133bus QSdp800) looking forward to it. For me, it was a matter of just sort of maxing out the machine, and extending it's life. I've got 1.5GB (max, cl2(2-2-2) ram in there, and it's a great reliable machine. I've had it since it's introduction.

I'll be getting a g5 someday, but when I do my qsdp800(soon to be dual 1.33) will still be fast and useful, and upgraded out as far as speed and ram. $650 is a small fraction of a G5 powermac price, and will give me AT LEAST another year out of this as my main machine.

I'm glad to hear of the reliability and ease of upgrading with the giga upgrades. That made my decision vs. powerlogix.
If you're looking to get rid of that dual 800 cheap drop me PM. Hoping...

Forum Links
Forum Rules