Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Quark / Server

Quark / Server
Richard Clark
Senior User
Jan 10, 2005, 03:09 PM

G4 867 DP
Mac OS X 10.3.5

Quark 6.5
EM Software Xcatalog 6.2b6

Ok, gotta weird one. We are using Xcatalog in Quark 6.5. There is a Xcatalog menu in the menu bar. When selecting Get Data Descriptor I have to go out to one of the servers to get the file. I can go to any of the volumes except one - the one that I need to connect to. It crashes Quark everytime.

I have checked permissions and repaired them. Also booted from OS X and ran Disk Utility. Did not need to be repaired. The servers automatically mount when the workstation starts so I turned that off but it did not help. In other programs I can access the server that is in question.

I have re-installed Quark two times. I have also re-installed Xcatalog as well. This has not helped. If I try to open a file in the server that it is ok. But when I try again through the Xcatalog menu it crashes. I have also deleted and created new preference files for both Quark and Xcatalog.

Do I need to delete a system preference???

We have other workstations (about 20) that are set up the same and do not have this problem. Since I've re-installed Quark and Xcatalog a couple times I'm pointing towards a System problem.

Any ideas?

Any tips, tricks or suggestions would be great! Thanks in advance!!!!

: )
"Tough Little Ship" - Riker
"LITTLE?" - Worf after having the Defiant salvaged by the Enterprise (First Contact)

Richard Clark  (op)
Senior User
Jan 11, 2005, 06:10 PM

Here's an update on the problem. I downloaded the most current version of Xcatalog, deleted the preference and set it up clean. Did not fix it.

It seems really weird that if I have three volumes of a server hooked up two of them I can look through in Quark but the third one will crash (when trying to select the data descriptor).

Just opening files within Quark on all three volumes is fine. And the other workstations don't have this problem. So I contacted Apple thinking there might be a networking preference or something along that line to take care of. To put it in a nutshell he was not helpful at all.

I talked with a local person that repairs Macs and mentioned about re-installing the OS on top. So I did that but the problem is still there. I'm wondering if a clean install is needed.

Does anyone have any networking tip (deleting preferences, configurations) that might be helpful on this?

Thanks in advance!

Richard
"Tough Little Ship" - Riker
"LITTLE?" - Worf after having the Defiant salvaged by the Enterprise (First Contact)

Forum Links
Forum Rules