Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New PB 15inch Display lines?

New PB 15inch Display lines? (Page 7)
iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 12, 2005, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by mduell
If you want Apple to do something about this, start returning your 15" with lines (use your credit card company if you need to). After they eat a few thousand returns they'll get the message and switch to a better screen.
Good idea, for those who've bought one of these.

Since I've been awaiting resolution of this snafu, all I can do is to periodically check to see when it's "safe" to buy ......

iBorg

PeterKG
Senior User
Dec 15, 2005, 01:09 AM

For those who would like to sign a petition, here is the link. Apple deleted my posting of this link on their site. Shame on them for ignoing the issue, and then trying to cover it up. They are very sleazy in regards to design flaws and defective, poorly made products that some of us have bought from them.

http://new.petitiononline.com/mod_pe...ed.cgi?applepb
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

Fusion
Senior User
Dec 15, 2005, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by PeterKG
For those who would like to sign a petition, here is the link. Apple deleted my posting of this link on their site. Shame on them for ignoing the issue, and then trying to cover it up. They are very sleazy in regards to design flaws and defective, poorly made products that some of us have bought from them.

http://new.petitiononline.com/mod_pe...ed.cgi?applepb
ahhh, forums at their best!

PeterKG
Senior User
Dec 15, 2005, 08:57 PM

Check out this link to an Apple discussion on lessening the horizontal lines on the 15" display...

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....71106&tstart=0
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

lars-man
Dec 16, 2005, 03:07 PM

ATI released a new version of their display software today. With this new release support for the latest PowerBook models (5,8) was included. I don't know if anyone is brave enough to play around with this application in order to check if it is possible to eliminate these annoying lines.

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/...asp?deptID=894

Regards, Lars

rem
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2005, 05:47 PM

It does not seem as though a software/firmware solution to resolve this issue would be technically all that complex for Apple / ATI engineers...my wishful thinking is there's one already being tested.

PeterKG
Senior User
Dec 19, 2005, 06:15 PM

Cnet has posted an article about this issue..............

http://news.cnet.co.uk/laptops/0,390...9195133,00.htm

rem
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2005, 07:20 PM

Per this statement in the article:

Debate has raged for some time on Apple's online forums, with differing opinions as to how severe the issue is and whether Apple should be responsible for replacing the displays.
I have the horizontal lines problem . It SHOULD be dealt with but I fail to see how it could possibly be a matter of replacing displays...

Taking an image with scanlines (like the one on crankycat), if I align the image so its darker scanlines cover my display's lighter scanlines (+the inverse is true), then the image looks perfect.

So it seems there must be a software/firmware way (that Apple should make available asap) to resolve the issue rather than replacing displays, unless someone has info that indicates otherwise?

Nestor5
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 24, 2005, 02:14 AM

Hi,

This is my first post in MacNN and I hate it to be something negative. Don't get me wrong- I LOVE my Mac and this is my 2nd Powerbook.

But this is just not right.. I am referring to the screen flickering issue, which for some users- are concentrated on the upper left region of their LCD whilst for others such as me, is discernible just about over the entire upper region at various sections.

At the end of the day, those of us who ARE affected and who ARE unhappy about it.. make your voice & anguish heard! Go to this online petition and put your signature! : http://www.PetitionOnline.com/applepb/
[FONT="Garamond"]Nestor5[/FONT]

Rob van dam
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 24, 2005, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by Nestor5
Hi,

This is my first post in MacNN and I hate it to be something negative. Don't get me wrong- I LOVE my Mac and this is my 2nd Powerbook.

But this is just not right.. I am referring to the screen flickering issue, which for some users- are concentrated on the upper left region of their LCD whilst for others such as me, is discernible just about over the entire upper region at various sections.

At the end of the day, those of us who ARE affected and who ARE unhappy about it.. make your voice & anguish heard! Go to this online petition and put your signature! : http://www.PetitionOnline.com/applepb/

I doubt a petition will do.You guys should do what this guy was about to do when apple were screwing people over with rev A G5 imac's.Affected powerbook owners should do the same and find a place with media for maximum exposure.

http://img186.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tiger4vb.jpg
Apple an innovator in a world of Immitators.
And thats the bottom line!!!!!!!!!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 24, 2005, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Nestor5
*Whine whine wank wank* That will get you nowhere. Over the course of the year or so that the second release single 1.8 G5s were faulty, how many petitions and blogs were there?

If you'd actually like to see something done, start calling Apple about returning your PowerBook (and if they say no, call your credit card company about a chargeback, followed by the Better Business Bureau and your state's Attorney General).

BENJMNS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2005, 12:28 AM

i'm typing from the apple store on the 30" display. i checked out the 17" with that cranky cat pic.... and it showed the same issues as on the 15". on the 30", no moving scan lines, no weird black lines, nothing.

i feel better about my 15.

BENJMNS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2005, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by BENJMNS
i'm typing from the apple store on the 30" display. i checked out the 17" with that cranky cat pic.... and it showed the same issues as on the 15". on the 30", no moving scan lines, no weird black lines, nothing.

i feel better about my 15.
also, what i've noticed is that the banding and the scan lines are at its "worst" when you place the pics on the upper left hand part of the LCD screen. try it and move it around. the lower This was true for me on my 15" and the two 17" models i practiced on at the apple store today. on the 30", no such artifacts were apparent to my naked eye.

so it looks like the right hand side of the new LCDs is not the same as the left hand side of the LCD screen.

Odd, eh?

i apologize if this has already been covered in the many many pages. i don't want to bother reading it all.

I'm not worried about it though but if apple provides a fix....

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 28, 2005, 03:29 AM

Benjmns, try moving the picture up or down a pixel when its on the left hand side of the screen.

BENJMNS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2005, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by mduell
Benjmns, try moving the picture up or down a pixel when its on the left hand side of the screen.
same deal. right or left, it's just a bit more apparent on the left side than the right side for some odd reason.

and the funny thing is, i saw the same "issues" on the 17" units i checked out.

i think it's just a characteristic of the new higher resolution supposedly better panels.

honestly, i never would've taken issue with it had i not run across this very informative thread. i'm still within the 14 day return policy and i don't think i'm going to return the laptop cuz of this.

Forum Links
Forum Rules