Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Apple & XFX to sell Nvidia Video Cards for Powermac G4s?

Apple & XFX to sell Nvidia Video Cards for Powermac G4s?
Coddies
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2006, 09:49 PM

I saw this over at IMG.

It says Apple & XFX are going to start selling the Nvidia 6600 and other Nvidia cards for Powermac G4s through the Apple store.

If this is true, this would be awesome news!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2006, 10:26 PM

Neat; what will the markup be, 50%? 100%?

reader50
Administrator
Mar 11, 2006, 01:45 AM

Interesting. Even if they are marked up, having retail nVidia cards will provide the first retail Mac competition for ATi in a long time.

Originally Posted by HEXUS.net
Apparently XFX and Apple have been engaged in negotiation for some 18 months and the first fruits of their agreement are set to be available around June of this year.
Ok, this is a little worrisome. What did they talk about for 18 months? Hopefully not MSRPs.

new newton
Banned
Mar 11, 2006, 01:51 AM

Yeah, it'll be the first since the quasi-Mac support from 3dfx, and those low-performance options from Villagetronic. It's been almost 10 years since there was real competition in 3rd party video cards.

kick52
Baninated
Mar 11, 2006, 04:16 AM

oohh...

why not G5s?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 11, 2006, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by kick52
oohh...

why not G5s?
That's what I was wondering. . .

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

new newton
Banned
Mar 11, 2006, 04:39 AM

There's little technical reason why they would be G4 only. What I wonder is if they'll have ADC.

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2006, 05:02 AM

G4's use AGP and the G5's use PCI Express, so that would mean developing 2 different versions of the cards (higher production costs for XFX), but apple already sells nVidia cards for the G5's.

If the cards have ADC, they WILL be more expensive than if they just have DVI &/or VGA.....

Hopefully they will price these cards lower than ATI cards, in order to steal some market share. Give us G4 owners some bargains for a change
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

Coddies  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2006, 05:36 AM

I'm hardly an expert on this stuff, I usually just read what all the experts here and elsewhere say, but if I had to guess, I'd think 4X/8X Nvidia cards could be both G5 AND G4 compatible. Then Apple would still offer build to order options for current G5 sales. Only the current G5's have PCI-express. And I think ADC is officially history. Stevie Jobs just decided against dragging out the coffin for it (ala MacOS 9) because it would have been way too embarrassing.

new newton
Banned
Mar 11, 2006, 06:04 AM

The reason I wonder about ADC is because it stands to reason that if the target market is the G4s, a large number of potential upgraders may have ADC displays. And yes, most G5s are in fact AGP.

P
Mar 11, 2006, 01:30 PM

Boards that are compatible with G4 Powermacs should be compatible with G5s unless they are 5V versions, and that would exclude a bunch of G4s as well. No, I think the point about saying G4 Powermacs is to stress that they are compatible with G4s. Aren't some of the Radeons G5 even though they're AGP?

This is an intresteing development. That Apple had to be in the deal is likely because the drivers - if nVidia has developed the drivers at Apple's expense, as seems likely, Apple has some rights to them. That Apple would abandon its usual stance of "Buy a new box" is a very good sign for the future.

lars-man
Mar 11, 2006, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Coddies
through the Apple store.
I doubt that Apple is going to sell graphic cards for these old machines. They want you to buy a brand new Power Mac G5 and nothing else. Did Apple ever sell graphic cards separately? Can't remember...

But I guess that retailer are going to sell these cards, if they do really exist. Anyway, that's good news.

Kind regards, Lars

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2006, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by bowwowman
G4's use AGP and the G5's use PCI Express, so that would mean developing 2 different versions of the cards (higher production costs for XFX), but apple already sells nVidia cards for the G5's.
The first 3 revisions of G5s have an AGP slot and no PCIe slots. Only the most recent revision added PCIe.

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2006, 05:23 PM

They are obviously targeting the "aftermarket upgrader" market.

And yes, the latest G5s use PCI Express but the previous generation of G5
used 8x AGP Pro slots including the G5 2.5 and 2.7 dual processor models.

You can get ATI X800XT cards as well as the X850XT thru Apple but these
are hard to find and expensive at times.

I look forward to these developments.

Forum Links
Forum Rules