Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > upgrading the graphics card in my macbook (black)

upgrading the graphics card in my macbook (black)
leprechaunmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2008, 06:31 PM

i have the third gen "blackbook" that my parents bought for me in mid dec. for christmas. i just ordered ram to upgrade it to 4 gigs of ram but how can i upgrade the graphics card? whats compatible? is it even possible?

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2008, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by leprechaunmac View Post
i have the third gen "blackbook" that my parents bought for me in mid dec. for christmas. i just ordered ram to upgrade it to 4 gigs of ram but how can i upgrade the graphics card? whats compatible?is it even possible?
Nope.

leprechaunmac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2008, 06:44 PM

thats disappointing

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 1, 2008, 07:31 PM

Unfortunately, the graphics card is built into the logic board of the MacBook. There is no replacement or upgrade available.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2008, 10:32 PM

Laptops with upgradable graphics are very uncommon. Typically they are only found in big, heavy, Windows gaming laptops.

ohheyitzjon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2008, 05:39 PM

i recently went to the local apple store and asked them if it were possible to upgrade my current graphics card in my macbook (currently GMA 950) to the more current graphics cards now in newest blackbooks. they said that it was completely possible and they would do it instore for free if i ordered the card thru the store. my question is, is this for real? if so, it would be great because currently my GMA 950 prevents me from running aperture.

p.s. sorry to hijack this thread, i just felt that the admins/mods have enough threads to monitor, i didnt want to pollute the site anymore.

thanks in advance!

ChrisF
Senior User
Jan 2, 2008, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by ohheyitzjon View Post
i recently went to the local apple store and asked them if it were possible to upgrade my current graphics card in my macbook (currently GMA 950) to the more current graphics cards now in newest blackbooks. they said that it was completely possible and they would do it instore for free if i ordered the card thru the store. my question is, is this for real?
No, the Apple store staff is entirely wrong. There's no card to add.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2008, 06:11 PM

It is impossible. The guy at the Apple Store probably didn't know what he was talking about. The only way to upgrade the graphics card is to buy a new MacBook.

On second thought, you should try and take him up on the offer, maybe he'll solder a new chip on the motherboard for you himself...

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 2, 2008, 07:30 PM

That would be something to see! On all current Mac laptops the video system is part of the logic board. No separate part that could be replaced, just chips on the circuit board. This is something that disappoints a number of people, but it's the way it is.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ohheyitzjon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2008, 09:12 PM

ahhicicic, ghporter thanks for the clarification. that makes a lot of sense. man... they need to educate the people working at the apple store on their products....

thanks for the input everyone! i love this site!

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2008, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by ohheyitzjon View Post
i recently went to the local apple store and asked them if it were possible to upgrade my current graphics card in my macbook (currently GMA 950) to the more current graphics cards now in newest blackbooks. they said that it was completely possible and they would do it instore for free if i ordered the card thru the store. my question is, is this for real? if so, it would be great because currently my GMA 950 prevents me from running aperture.

p.s. sorry to hijack this thread, i just felt that the admins/mods have enough threads to monitor, i didnt want to pollute the site anymore.

thanks in advance!
Wow. That is just so wrong. What Apple store was this?

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Jan 2, 2008, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by leprechaunmac View Post
i have the third gen "blackbook" that my parents bought for me in mid dec. for christmas. i just ordered ram to upgrade it to 4 gigs of ram but how can i upgrade the graphics card? whats compatible? is it even possible?
I thought you could put 4 GB's in but only address up to 3 GB's. Anyhoo...

Believe me if there was a way to upgrade my graphics card I would in a heartbeat. That's the ONLY thing I find displeasing about my Macbook. I could be playing a couple great games, or a couple games a little better. But that's not really why I bought this Mac anyways.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 3, 2008, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by @pplejaxkz View Post
I thought you could put 4 GB's in but only address up to 3 GB's. Anyhoo...
The current MBs (the ones with a 800 MHz FSB) can use the full 4 GB. On the older C2D MBs (the ones with a 667 MHz FSB) you can install 2x2GB, but you'll only be able to actually use 3GB. On CD MBs you can only use 2GB.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 3, 2008, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Cadaver View Post
Wow. That is just so wrong. What Apple store was this?
Sounds like a newb salesman desperate for a sale.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 3, 2008, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Sounds like a newb salesman desperate for a sale.
Which raises the interesting question: What was he hoping to sell?

After all, it's not like he was going to sell him a X3100 and solder it in there.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2008, 07:50 AM

Unless he was hoping to sell a MacBook logic board...

Forum Links
Forum Rules