Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Powermac G3 B&W wont install OSX

Powermac G3 B&W wont install OSX
PB2K
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2006, 01:42 PM

Hi, I have this G3 400Mhz B&W that I want to convert into a server (with 4x250Gb ATA drives in it, with added pci ata card) but before I get to the harddiskquestion I want to know why it won't install OSX.3

G3 400 Mhz 2nd rev
196 mb ram
10 gb seagate standard harddisk

I installed OS9.2.2, then inserted OSX.3 disk 1, tried to restart from that cd but I get an error about it being unable to select it as a startupdisk -2

Is this a firmware issue?
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2006, 01:50 PM

Is the error you're getting in OS 9's Startup Disk control panel? Have you tried restarting with the CD in the drive while holding the 'c' key? You might want to look at XPostFacto and see if that will let you restart from the CD.
You mentioned the firmware, and that would be a good place to start, making sure it's up to date. Let us know how it goes.

PB2K  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2006, 03:03 PM

I cant select the osx installer disk in os9's controlpanel..starting up with "c" pressed has the effect that i get the OSX "grey screen" with the rotating circle. It stays there forever, it won't get into the startup bar screen.

the xfacto is recognized as a pc-file (icon with "pc" on it)

but big thanks for your help so far

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2006, 04:46 PM

It could be a Firmware issue as both of you say… check this link out, maybe you need to update it. You will find some firmware updates in the Firmware Updates folder in the Utilities folder on the Mac OS X Install Disc 1 CD.You may also find them on the Apple Software Updates site:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86117-en

If you can finally get it to install, and your Power Mac G3 came with an Apple SCSI hard disk, do not choose UNIX File System (UFS) as the format for the destination disk.

To install Mac OS X on the same disk or disk partition as Mac OS 9, the disk must be in
Mac OS Extended format. If it isn't, you would need to quit the Installer and back up your files, then reformat the disk.

You have to be sure to use Startup Disk control panel version 9.2.2 or later. You will find it on the Mac OS X Install Disc 1 CD.

BTW, those additional hard disk drives and PCI card are not yet installed, right?

Any other added hardware there?, maybe an upgraded video card?

PB2K  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2006, 09:06 AM

It's a standard G3, i didn't add any extra hardware yet, it's difficult enough already to get OSX onto it

I installed a spare (ATA 40Gb) disk on my G4 with X.3. It installed without problems, so the installationdisk and harddisk should be ok. then I put this hd into the G3 and booted, weird thing is that it still stays in the grey startup screen, then played the installationsong
after this curiosity I zapped PRAM thrice and since then it just displays a circle with a diagonal line (no parking)

the firmware seems to be the latet verzion, I tried that too

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 16, 2006, 09:25 AM

B/W G3s are very very picky about RAM when you run OSX on them. The machine could have run for years on OS9 with the same RAM and then fail to work when you try to use that memory with OSX. Even if the specs of that RAM meets the specs required of the B/W

I had that problem with a B/W and had to use trial and error to figure out which sticks of memory worked and which would lock up OSX.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2006, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Langdon
B/W G3s are very very picky about RAM when you run OSX on them. The machine could have run for years on OS9 with the same RAM and then fail to work when you try to use that memory with OSX. Even if the specs of that RAM meets the specs required of the B/W

I had that problem with a B/W and had to use trial and error to figure out which sticks of memory worked and which would lock up OSX.
That's interesting info.

When you download XPostFacto, be sure to get the .sit version, OS 9 doesn't like the dmg format. But it does sound like you have some sort of weird hardware problem. I've installed OS X.2, 3, and 4 on countless B&Ws without this problem. It sounds like you have 128 and 64MB chips in there, right? If you want it to be useful, you'll need new RAM anyway, so you might as well pick up 2 or 3 256MB chips and try those. They can usually be found for $20 each or so.

PB2K  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2006, 03:35 PM

coincidentally, I just tried that, I put the 256 mb pc133 modules from my G4 into the B&W and still it wont boot osx.

also, and this is me benefitting from my "introducing imacs" project, I got another G3 B&W 400Mhz and inserted the same harddisk and RAM previously used in the first G3,

guess what : the 2nd G3 400 wont boot from the harddisk either, but will boot from the X.3 cdrom, I am installing Panther at this moment..

-
My aim is to create OSX G3's, make them as powerful as possible , and send them to the 3rd world and let them do their thing. (www.introducingimacs.org)

I don't mind a single computer running OS9, but for the purpose of making as many OSX macs as possible I want to know how I solve this problem with this G3 B&W

reader50
Administrator
Jul 16, 2006, 06:40 PM

Check your OSX CD, see if it is actually a DVD. Also, see if it is a retail version, and not an install disk that came with a particular Mac model. Either problem can make it unbootable on a specific B&W.

note that the CD drives in B&W Macs are around a decade old now.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2006, 09:08 PM

4 250 gig hds, wow!

PB2K  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2006, 02:30 AM

yeah its a bargain, 4 drives / 1 terabyte for 250 euro's

update : osx.3 installed fine, it runs on the 2nd g3. this cancels the faulty installdisk option.

so it's not the harddisk, not the install disk and not the memory

PB2K  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2006, 02:46 PM

** new issue **

Ok, so now I have a running G3 b&w, lets get to the harddisks

I have a "Sonnet Tempo ATA 100 Mac PCI Host adapter card"
The box says it is OSX compatible, and compatible with my G4 and B&W. I had it second hand.

I inserted it into my G4 466Mhz but it's not recognized.
In my G3 B&W it is recognized in OS9, but it asks to format the unknown disk to a UNIX filesystem..after that I can see the drive.
Now i am running Panther but the harddisk cannot be read

The harddiskjumper is set to SLAVE. Also jumpersetting CS won't show the drive. It;s not even visible in Disk utility

--

ok, sonnet released a firmware update but i cannot open it, my stuffit says its of unknown fileformat (but my stuffit is latest version) here is the link : http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/7297

---update ---

i found an alternate firmware updater, ran it in os9 and it said that my firmware was now up to date

so

back to Panther
I booted with panther. but still can not see the 250Gb harddisk thats connected to the sonnet ata card
( Last edited by PB2K; Jul 17, 2006 at 03:52 PM. )

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2006, 10:19 AM

HD's connected to Sonnet's ATA cards must be reformatted before the system will recognize them in a B&W been there done that !
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

PB2K  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2006, 09:28 AM

interesting, i'll check

Forum Links
Forum Rules