Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Minecraft

Minecraft (Page 94)
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 18, 2017, 07:26 PM

Fair warning sek, I'm going to make my first forays into building some exteriors this weekend. I won't impinging on your lovely facade, but it will be visible near it. If you hate, we can work something out.

Also, the tesla coil is built and ready to roll. Just need you to build the infrastructure to fry the blaze ****s and we're good to go.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 19, 2017, 12:39 AM

So, anybody got an empowerer?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2017, 08:58 AM

I was planning on setting one up eventually. I'll see if I can get to it this after noon.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 19, 2017, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
I was planning on setting one up eventually. I'll see if I can get to it this after noon.
It's not a rush. Trying to set-up a greenhouse and there's some other item I can't remember from long ago that also needs it.

Made my first custom device: A concrete hardener. Completely basic set-up but satisfying. Concrete is weird in this game though, it acts like a speed boost and slightly like ice.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 21, 2017, 09:37 AM

Visited blazes place this weekend. Undecided if it's a monument to mans igenuity or hubris.

And his empowere set up literally looks like something out of the matrix.

andi*pandi
Aug 21, 2017, 01:46 PM

I've been on vacation the last two weeks and away from my computer. You all sound like you're having fun!

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2017, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Visited blazes place this weekend. Undecided if it's a monument to mans igenuity or hubris.

And his empowere set up literally looks like something out of the matrix.
Considering I derped and blew up a nuclear reactor in the center of my base. Hubris sounds about right.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 22, 2017, 10:52 AM

And now I have fatty building one right next to mine...

cycl0pse
Senior User
Aug 22, 2017, 12:18 PM

all this talk of nuclear reactors and such... I'm just happy to have a functioning water wheel

Seriously, this is always the fun of these servers. Everyone does their own thing, with their own style, at their own pace. Always a good time to go visiting and see what goes on.

cy

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 22, 2017, 12:40 PM

Also the garden cloche is disgustingly OP.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 23, 2017, 12:26 PM

I've been out of town, and upon returning, accidentally updated the mods (via Twitch). Now I can't connect.

Anyone know how to instruct a simpleton in rolling back?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 23, 2017, 12:53 PM

Delete System 32

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 23, 2017, 12:59 PM

Thank you. BRB

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 23, 2017, 01:06 PM

My best guess is delete and reinstall the mod.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Aug 23, 2017, 02:37 PM

I'll have to check when I get home, but I'm pretty sure you can have twitch install a second instance of the modpack and pick the version then.

The better question is... should we consider upgrading the server to the latest version? Yup, that would mean everyone upgrades as well....

cy

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 23, 2017, 03:06 PM

I have no objections other than if it includes massive changes in which case it'd have to be specific

cycl0pse
Senior User
Aug 23, 2017, 04:50 PM

If you go into Twitch, click on the graphic for the game pack, not the "Play" button. On that screen is a "versions" button. Select the target as 2.91 and it should roll you back to the server version.

As for updating, it seems like the v3.0 line is just a forge update and associated modpack updates. they still seem to be working out the bugs (a new 3.01 is already out) and they still say 2.91 is the "official" release. let's give it a bit more to work itself out.

cy

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2017, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by cycl0pse View Post
If you go into Twitch, click on the graphic for the game pack, not the "Play" button. On that screen is a "versions" button. Select the target as 2.91 and it should roll you back to the server version.

Thank you very much.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 25, 2017, 11:33 AM

I made a list of projects to finish last night and Jesus I have too many. Of course it's a domino effect of not finishing a project until something else is ready or decided and just goes on endlessly. On the bright side having a list actually makes it easier to organize. The downside is I have a list for playing a game.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 30, 2017, 04:39 PM

Wishlist time: Anyone have woven silk?

There's another tower dungeon near fatty and i if we wanna schedule a group adventure.

Fatty and I are also on the lookout for a winter biome to find some blizzes to kill.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2017, 07:02 PM

I'm in extreme hills so I get Basalzes.
I haven't gone looking for Tropical bees yet.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2017, 07:27 PM

Blizz Powder is easy to make, what we need is Blitz powder, and god knows where they spawn.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 31, 2017, 01:46 AM

Alright, I'm confused. The redstone furnace is supposed to be able to accept ore dust, but i can't get it to take any.

Edit: Nevermind, figured it out. Augment was limiting its input
( Last edited by The Final Dakar; Aug 31, 2017 at 02:06 AM. )

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2017, 08:01 AM

Blitz will be desert or plains

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 31, 2017, 12:46 PM

Missing items listed in the various wikis is confusing the ever living **** out of me. Rail craft has stone lanterns according to its own wiki yet there's no recipe in game.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 31, 2017, 02:02 PM

Oh and is there a reason almost every time it rains it stops after a few seconds? It kills the novelty.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 31, 2017, 03:22 PM

I was wondering about that. I've spent so little time outside on my last several visits, I didn't realize. Then I harvested a ton of sugar cane and it did exactly what you're talking about twice.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 31, 2017, 04:25 PM

I think Blaze has a anti-rain machine running at his base.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 31, 2017, 04:26 PM

Boooo

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 31, 2017, 04:26 PM

Missing items listed in the various wikis is confusing the ever living **** out of me. Rail craft has stone lanterns according to its own wiki yet there's no recipe in game.
There seems to be omissions all over the place. Tesseracts in Thermal Expansion, drawbridges in Tinker's, etc... Not really sure what the reason behind that is.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 31, 2017, 04:47 PM

Thermal Expansion is 4 different expansions but as far as I can tell we have three of them but are still missing items listed.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 31, 2017, 04:57 PM

Another fun note, the website doesn't note it, but we have Extra Utilities 2, not extra utilities.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Sep 1, 2017, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
There seems to be omissions all over the place. Tesseracts in Thermal Expansion, drawbridges in Tinker's, etc... Not really sure what the reason behind that is.
I can explain some of this (and some of the Railcraft issues as well).

ATM Lite was created because ATM is so heavy it is almost unplayable on slower/older system and servers. The creators decided to remove certain items that are the main causes of excessive lag. So I can understand why drawbridges got left out of the mix (using them used to spike the old server CPU like mad) and I suspect Tesseracts is a similar reason.

As for Railcraft, you have to dig around their site to find it but apparently there are several items not yet ready in their latest release. Switch tracks not being there is a big one (especially for me). That's why my intersections look like a cobbled together hodgepodge of vanilla server redstone from 1.6.... instead of a nicely streamlined signal station. sigh. Stone lantern are in a similar boat.

I was originally hoping to use the full ATM but in testing I kept running into unacceptable lag issues, both server and client related. ATM Lite didn't have any, so away I went.

NOW, it is worth noting that ATM Lite has a few updates pending. That may smooth some of this out. I'm willing to update the server if folks want to give it a go. Everyone will have to update their clients, which Twitch makes relatively easy.

Alternatively, the server we have allows me to have up to 4 servers with as many as two running at the same time. All servers have to share the 4GB memory, so it's not practical to have more than 1 production server going at a time... BUT...
despite how far along we are on ATM-Lite we could put that server on hold for a bit and test other modpacks to see if we like a better one, knowing we can return to the ATM-Lite server at any time. of course, I have NO IDEA what modpack to use. We could go back to tekkit or switch to FTB (which has a much better wiki than ATM)... but then we'd have to start over from scratch...

thoughts on any or all of this rambling?

cy

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 1, 2017, 10:31 AM

I'm fairly certain my MacBook can't handle more than ATM lite

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 1, 2017, 12:39 PM

Did I just spend 15 minutes lovingly designing a cleaver using hopefully not outdated online guides? You bet.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Sep 4, 2017, 08:24 AM

NOTICE;
If anyone's online now and notices bad performance, I'm doing server maintenance. Just offloading backups and re-configuring backup frequency but I don't know how it will affect disk I/O. Should be done ... soon...

UPDATE
OK, OK, so I can't leave well enough alone. Server is up with limited memory while I test upgrading on a second server. Feel free to log in but be warned, it will be a bit slow this AM. Should be done by 9:30 EST with my testing...

UPDATE #2
Testing almost complete (traveling by rail all over the map now) but in a test environment I was able to update our map to 3.0.1 without issues. Doesn't mean all the mods are 100% perfect, but at least the map works. I HAVE NOT UPDATED THE MAIN SERVER (yet). But I think it's time we do it.

WHEN IS A GOOD EVENING TO SCHEDULE THE UPDATE? I'm out of town this coming weekend, starting Friday, but any other evening is fine. Updating the server takes about 15 minutes and everyone will need to update their Twitch clients to 3.01 to login (latest release).

cy
( Last edited by cycl0pse; Sep 4, 2017 at 09:42 AM. Reason: update)

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 4, 2017, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by cycl0pse View Post
WHEN IS A GOOD EVENING TO SCHEDULE THE UPDATE? I'm out of town this coming weekend, starting Friday, but any other evening is fine. Updating the server takes about 15 minutes and everyone will need to update their Twitch clients to 3.01 to login (latest release).

cy
From what I can tell, I get on far less than sek/Dakar, so this should definitely be left up to you guys.

I'm far more likely to get on Wednesday and Thursday nights after I get my kids in bed, so Tuesday would be better for me from a very selfish perspective, but again, definitely y'all's call.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2017, 07:32 AM

Doesn't matter to me when the update happens.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2017, 11:31 AM

Doesn't matter to me when the update happens.
Unrelated: we visited your place last night. It reminded me that I'm an idiot.

andi*pandi
Sep 5, 2017, 02:16 PM

My computer is being updated by work folks, so I won't have it til this weekend. I look forward to all the junk cobble you want to throw my way, so I can build a rundown shack by the river.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2017, 07:03 PM

Andi: I have a setup in my base that makes infinite cobble and stone. Feel free to come by and take all you can carry.

Jawbone: Your timing was excellent. I make allot of building progress on the inner city portion. There's some tweaks i need to try because of the fps drops i'm getting because of the drawers. Was it something that you were doing wrong or just the apparent complexity.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2017, 07:58 PM

Jawbone: Your timing was excellent. I make allot of building progress on the inner city portion. There's some tweaks i need to try because of the fps drops i'm getting because of the drawers. Was it something that you were doing wrong or just the apparent complexity.
Definitely the apparent complexity.

My frame-rate plummeted near the drawers as well. I tried to pull a totally non-invasive prank while I was there, but any block that I placed immediately disappeared.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Sep 6, 2017, 08:04 PM

Server upgrading now!!!!!

cycl0pse
Senior User
Sep 6, 2017, 08:11 PM

SERVER UPGRADED!!!! Now on latest release 3.01. Please update your client accordingly.

-cy

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2017, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Definitely the apparent complexity.

My frame-rate plummeted near the drawers as well. I tried to pull a totally non-invasive prank while I was there, but any block that I placed immediately disappeared.
Some of the chunks in base are protected.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2017, 10:01 AM

Some of the chunks in base are protected.
Ahhh...

It was outside the base, technically. I've had the same glitch a time or two elsewhere.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 7, 2017, 11:11 AM

Something is mysteriously draining my power since the update. What a pain in the ass.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Sep 7, 2017, 12:09 PM

Something is mysteriously draining my power since the update. What a pain in the ass.
Draining your power? What power source/type?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 7, 2017, 12:45 PM

I've narrowed it down to my machine bank in the kitchen but with nothing running it's a net negative. Not sure if something else is hooked in and I don't realize it but either way nothing was added last night to justify this change.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2017, 01:17 PM

Clouche still running somewhere? Those lamps use power too it could be them. Thermal Expansion machines don't use power unless they are doing work so it can't be them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules