Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > how f**kin annoying is that?!!!

View Poll Results: most irritatingly bad design in mac OSX
Poll Options:
finder icons jumping to the side [column view] 8 votes (4.26%)
background apps shoving themselves in yer face 66 votes (35.11%)
bloody brushed metal finish 40 votes (21.28%)
finder preview not being in a drawer 6 votes (3.19%)
aaagh! - don't mention drawers! 20 votes (10.64%)
OSX is perfect and steve is the messiah 48 votes (25.53%)
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll
how f**kin annoying is that?!!!
m a d r a
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2003, 10:48 AM

ok. i'm sat here cutting up a graphic layout in photoshop to build a website. this involves dragging guides in photoshop to line up with natural 'cutting points' [the edges of lines, boxes, images etc] and then cutting up the image along these guidelines...

i'm zoomed in to 300% magnification for extra precision and j-u-s-t about to drop a guide into place when *bang!* safari throws wan of it's windows in front of what i'm doing, to inform me that some webpage it was trying to load in the background has timed out.

as the title says "how f**kin' annoying is that?!!!"

what has happened to apple's understanding of HIG with the advent of mac OSX? what genius thought to himself one day "i know!- if a background app needs your attention, we'll let it just throw itself in front of whatever you happen to be doing at the minute!" [presumably the same one who when designing finder 'column view' thought "i know- what if we make icons jump out of your way when you click on them!"]

</rant>

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2003, 11:24 AM

I really hate that. Not quite as much as I hate brushed metal being used more and more, but it's one of my top two dislikes of OS X.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Oct 14, 2003, 11:31 AM

Originally posted by m a d r a:
</rant>
i'm calling you a liar, Sir. like you ever stop ranting!?

(don't you dare)
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2003, 11:47 AM

Use Tabs when connecting to slow sites.

But yeah, that's pretty annoying.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2003, 12:05 PM

mail.app does it do, when e.g., my hotmaill plug-in has issues. wham! up to the front. irritating.

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2003, 12:12 PM

I'm getting pretty sick of Stuffit Expander always flying in front when I'm downloading in Safari. But as for your poll, I voted drawers ... they's ugly.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2003, 01:03 PM

That's why apple made that lovely bouncing icon thing... isn't it.

Better yet, make a badge that pops up when the application needs your attention.

Nothing should just pop up unless it's a kernel panic or you request it to do so in the preferences (I could see the importance on some long rendering project or something or a security application)!

SSharon
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2003, 01:22 PM

mail.app wins for annoyingness. My school's servers must restart at 4:15 every morning because every time I get at least one message saying mail couldn't connect to the server and of course it comes to the front and of course it turns the monitor on and of course I hate it. They need that option "don't show me this again" for more dialog boxes. and why can't safari just flash once or bounce once and say it timed out in text on the web page it can't open instead of that dropdown thing I have to click on?

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2003, 01:25 PM

I only selected the last option because I have no problems regarding the other items.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 14, 2003, 02:32 PM

How's about "The most annoying problem isn't listed here"?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

ambush
Banned
Oct 14, 2003, 02:40 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
How's about "The most annoying problem isn't listed here"?
Yeah, that would be "no support for 3dfx cards!"

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 14, 2003, 05:08 PM

ahh when i was on a pc i couldnt get win2k drivers for 3DFX so had to keep a copy of 98 on to run anything needing 3d stuff

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2003, 07:47 PM

The Safari thing I agree with, applications should bounce their butt in the dock or something when there's a problem. Mail, however doesn't come to the foreground on my machine, and just bounces the dock icon once. What version of OSX are you using Madra? I suggest notifying Apple about this.
weird wabbit

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2003, 08:29 PM

Originally posted by Nonsuch:
[B]I'm getting pretty sick of Stuffit Expander always flying in front when I'm downloading in Safari./B]
Just leave it open.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2003, 08:41 PM

Ya, that stuffit stuff stinks.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

digital_dreamer
Oct 14, 2003, 10:18 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
<snip>
Nothing should just pop up unless it's a kernel panic...
<snip>
Word.

Actually, I don't even want a kernel panic popping in my way. There should be a gentle, non-blocking reminder that a kernel panic has occurred, so one can continue working at their pace!

regards,
MAJ

m a d r a  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2003, 09:00 AM

here's another [albeit very minor thing] that always irks me....

y'know when you're installing software [using apple's installer] and you go through all those stages with 'next' buttons... so, you get to the licence agreement part and click 'next' and that sheet comes down that says "you must agree to the licence .. before proceeding" ? well, that really bugs me. it always seems like the installer is throwing a "you idiot!" alert at me for not remembering to agree to the licence terms before i click 'next'... and yet there isn't any way to signal my agreement until that feckin sheet comes down! i've even tried scrolling down to the bottom of the agreement to see if [carracho style] there is an 'agree' buttton there, but there isn't.

am i just getting grouchy in my old age, or does that irk anyone else as well?

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2003, 09:13 AM

So...
How about some good news?
Are any of these fixed/modified/given as options...
in PANTHER?

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2003, 09:18 AM

I'm not much for the Finder unexpectedly quitting when trying to copy large amounts of files onto a CD or DVD image. This has always been a sore spot for me since OS X came out, and has happened regardless of what version, or what Mac I am using.

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 15, 2003, 09:44 AM

Yeah the "background app popping to the front" thing is my pet peeve in Jaguar. The others on the list don't bother me.

Column view is designed that way to make it easy to drill down multiple levels. I find that behaviour useful and see it as a feature, rather than a flaw.

m a d r a  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2003, 10:04 AM

Originally posted by wulf:
... Column view is designed that way to make it easy to drill down multiple levels. I find that behaviour useful and see it as a feature, rather than a flaw.
i know that. it's seriously flawed tho'. the preview should be in a drawer and not be the last column. there are certain circumstances* where when you're trying to manipulate files in column view [copy from one folder to another - delete items etc] where column view leaps about like what my oul granny would have called "a hen on a hot griddle" and is *extremely* unfriendly

[*unfortunately i cannae rem what the circumstances are, as nothing i try doing here will reproduce the <whatever it is> annoyance. while on first inspection this might seem to demolish my argument, bear in mind that i've just updated to 10,2,8, so it might have been fixed. however, i shall report back next time <whatever it is> happens and pisses me off]

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2003, 10:26 AM

You missed off an option:

* F***ing whingeing Mac OS 9 users like Madra f***ing whingeing about everylittle f***ing thing.

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 15, 2003, 10:30 AM

Originally posted by m a d r a:
i know that. it's seriously flawed tho'. the preview should be in a drawer and not be the last column. there are certain circumstances* where when you're trying to manipulate files in column view [copy from one folder to another - delete items etc] where column view leaps about like what my oul granny would have called "a hen on a hot griddle" and is *extremely* unfriendly
Absolutely fair points. Probably why I only use column view to find things. Then if I need to do any file-wrangling, it's always apple-2, back to List view...

So on reflection, you're right, it sucks

Misanthrope
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2003, 12:32 AM

The fact that the second highest ranking option in the poll is the "os x is perfect and steve is jesus" terrifies me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules