Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > How do YOU look for work ??

How do YOU look for work ??
Krusty
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2003, 07:37 PM

OK, I'm sick of the respond to newspaper/internet ads gig. How did you find the job you currently have? I (fortunately) was able to leave my last job and take some time off. Now I'm looking for work again and want to do something OTHER than respond to posted listings like I've always done before. How do you go about finding YOUR perfect job rather than simply responding to what others need you for ? I swear, now that I have the luxury ... I want to do it right this time. How do you find a listing of companies in your area that do what you're interested in doing?

On a side note, any of you that have been out of work for several months, what special issues did you have to deal with when you re-entered the workforce ? Did employers give you much flak when you tried to explain what the h#ll you'd been doing over the last bit?

Muchos Gracias for any repsonses ... I've never really been in this position as I usually have gone from one thing straight to antother. I'm at a loss of how to approach this whole thing now.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 8, 2003, 07:43 PM

Don't really have any tips, but I thought this was going to be a thread about how people dress for their jobs...

funkboy
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2003, 08:03 PM

I also thought this was dressing for jobs...

Having connections... getting jobs (or at least interviews) from friends, teachers, acquaintances, relatives, etc. That's the way to go.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2003, 08:10 PM

I wore jeans and a t shirt...

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2003, 08:22 PM

Krusty, I think most of people could help you if you provide some information about what kind of job you're interested into, etc.

MikeM33
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2003, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by krusty:
I swear, now that I have the luxury ... I want to do it right this time. How do you find a listing of companies in your area that do what you're interested in doing?
There's always the phone book. I'm in computer graphics and printing and I've thought about just sending out resumes randomly to local printers/graphics agencies. A friend of mine suggested this upon which I laughed.

Now that I'm out of work though, it sounds like it might be a good idea.

MikeM

alpha rays max
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2003, 11:54 PM

I've gotten all of my past jobs (and my current one) through connections as well. It really, truly is all about who you know. It's trite, but it's generally true.

Most of the jobs that exist out there are either never advertised in places like the Internet or in the paper... or they're pretty much filled internally.

My boss has always looked out for me and let me know when jobs become available. That said, it depends on your experience level and what kind of job you're looking for. Just try to make contacts in that industry... see if your friends & family know anything if they work in similar fields. Network, network, network.

The best resume and all the job sites in the world won't help if you don't know that a job that's never advertised exists in the first place!

Nicko
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2003, 12:40 AM

Originally posted by alpha rays max:
It really, truly is all about who you know. It's trite, but it's generally true.
Completely agree. Go through all your connections, friends, relatives, people who you have worked for.... Network. Call in favors.

Most important, deliver your resume in person and introduce yourself to the individual doing the hiring. You know the 30 second rule? Its real. Make a good impression and you become more than just a name on a generic resume. It works!

Oh yea, and when you drop off that resume wear a white shirt and tie!
White conveys honesty and the tie just looks good.

g'luck.

wolfen
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2003, 10:32 AM

My Rule: Never think of myself as unemployed. I am simply looking for an opportunity worthy of me.

1st Job: I was in college. I searched a database for every technology-related company in Dallas and cold called.

2nd Job: I did the newspaper thing and got a great job. It took 2 mos. for my efforts to materialize.

3rd Job: Competitor knew about me.

4th Job: Customer knew me and hired me.

5th Job: (Part time) I knew someone who knew someone.

5a: Offered job through recruiter that I turned down.

6th Job: My wife's new boss referred me to a company. I'm still there.

These were the jobs I took, but I had offers all along the way.

I think the main thing is to do SOMETHING every morning and afternoon until you get a job. Whether you introduce yourself to a Personnel agency, drop a resume off at a few companies, or scour newspaper and online databases -- keep doing it. I've yet to go longer than 2 mos without an offer.

But I've got friends who screw around numbly for weeks and wonder why nothing came up.

wolfen
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2003, 10:45 AM

My wife posted her resume on Monster, she has received a lot of calls from recruiters. Had several interviews. One job offer!

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2003, 11:23 AM

I don't look for work. People approach me. I keep on having to turn it down.

pete.z
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 9, 2003, 05:20 PM

I get asked....no kidding.

MOSTLY HARMLESS

http://www.macfreak.nl

Forum Links
Forum Rules