Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Battlestar Galactica [SPOILERS]

Battlestar Galactica [SPOILERS] (Page 71)
analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2008, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Last night's episode was necessary connective tissue. There has been a *ton* of plot revolving around religion in this show, obviously it is going somewhere.

Patience people.
Ya even though this episode was slow I like what they are setting up.

Did anyone notice that necklace that the lady gave baltar was the medical symbol we use here on earth?

I also found it really interesting that this was the first time that Baltar was obviously being moved around like a puppet by head six. She has smashed his head into a mirror before but this is the first time she actually made it look like she was carrying him in-front of a lot of people.

The writing when Tai and 6 were having their moment was brilliantly written so when she was talking about her and baltar it also fit in perfectly with Tai and Ellen.

Next weeks episode looks wicked though with Leoben helping Starbuck find earth.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 26, 2008, 04:14 PM

I've never seen an episode of Battlestar Galactica. I got several Best Buy cards for my birthday, and almost picked up Season 1 on DVD today.

Worth the cash?

Obviously I'm going to get plenty of affirmative responses, due to the fact that this thread is full of fans, but what about for someone who's going into it cold like myself?

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 26, 2008, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I've never seen an episode of Battlestar Galactica. I got several Best Buy cards for my birthday, and almost picked up Season 1 on DVD today.

Worth the cash?

Obviously I'm going to get plenty of affirmative responses, due to the fact that this thread is full of fans, but what about for someone who's going into it cold like myself?
If you like CSI more than Sledge Hammer, this may be something for you. If you like it when TV becomes self-important instead of self-aware, then this is for you.

If you like to get your philosophy off the back of a cereal box instead of thinking for yourself, then you've found the holy-grail of entertainment.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 26, 2008, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post

Worth the cash?

I'm pretty sure most people who watched from the beginning had seen just as little at that point as you have. As for whether you'll like it: Hard to say. I didn't like it very much at first. I watched the first couple of episodes, stopped, and then checked it out again towards the end of the first season and found that it had gotten good. I know lots of other people here liked it from the beginning, though.

(Also, for the record, I don't like CSI and have no idea what Sledge Hammer is.)
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2008, 05:14 PM

Yeah the first two seasons were top notch television. Definitely worth viewing. And parts of season three had some genius moments as well (the battle at New Caprica still rates as one of my all-time favorite TV moments). I would say check it out, you won't be disappointed.

/also don't like CSI nor do I know what Sledge Hammer is.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 26, 2008, 05:24 PM

Sledge Hammer! is a TV anomaly that was on ABC (I think) before many of you were born, in 1986 and 1987.

"Sledge Hammer!" (1986)

Very much recommended.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 26, 2008, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Did anyone notice that necklace that the lady gave baltar was the medical symbol we use here on earth?
It's called a caduceus.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2008, 07:00 PM

I can't stand CSI or any of that 24, House, Grey's crap. And I graduated from college in 87 and never heard of Sledge Hammer either. Battlestar is unlike anything I've seen on TV before and I loved it from the first episode on. Get it!

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 26, 2008, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by mrtew View Post
I can't stand CSI or any of that 24, House, Grey's crap. And I graduated from college in 87 and never heard of Sledge Hammer either. Battlestar is unlike anything I've seen on TV before and I loved it from the first episode on. Get it!
It was just a comparison to make a point. I would have chosen a more mainstream comparison, so here goes.

If you like the OC, but not Arrested Development then BSG may be something for you etc..

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2008, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
It was just a comparison to make a point. I would have chosen a more mainstream comparison, so here goes.

If you like the OC, but not Arrested Development then BSG may be something for you etc..
You couldn't be more wrong.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 26, 2008, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
You couldn't be more wrong.
Oh.. why is that? You need a punch-line here: You couldn't be more wrong because [insert reason]

Else my rebuttal is 'I am rubber you are glue..'

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 26, 2008, 07:36 PM

If you like CSI more than Sledge Hammer
I really can't be bothered with CSI, loved Sledge Hammer, love BSG, and really think you desperately need to stop thinking you've really got people pegged.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 26, 2008, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
I really can't be bothered with CSI, loved Sledge Hammer, love BSG, and really think you desperately need to stop thinking you've really got people pegged.
It's so adorable when you act all Pr... I mean ah concerned

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 26, 2008, 07:42 PM

^ Case in point.

Reacting "concerned" or "annoyed" is the difference between "sad case" and "arrogant asshole" - whichever you'd prefer to be.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 26, 2008, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
^ Case in point.

Reacting "concerned" or "annoyed" is the difference between "sad case" and "arrogant asshole" - whichever you'd prefer to be.
How does it feel having an arrogant asshole (I prefer that) making you jump hoops at his command?

Jawbone asked for a recommendation, I gave him mine. You don't like it? Tough cookie.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 26, 2008, 07:59 PM

Ummmm.... BSG? Six (WOW!!!)? The colonies? What's happening now? What's next? Hello?

On topic or elsewhere-you all know that rule.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2008, 07:09 PM

So what happened to the rebelling Cylons that were lead into the ambush. Please tell me they were destroyed and they didn't even show it!?

scottiB
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2008, 07:56 PM

Next ep you'll see some of the aftermath, I believe.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2008, 08:21 PM

It's weird how gullible those cylons are considering how sneaky and devious they are.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 27, 2008, 08:39 PM

I think it's more hubris than lack of smarts that made them let down their guard.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

reader50
Administrator
Apr 27, 2008, 08:49 PM

They're used to trusting each other.

Their civil war has most likely spread from that squadron to their entire fleet. Nothing like a little betrayal to get everyone worked up. The next time they visit, they might be asking the Colonies for help tipping the balance between the two sides.

A thought on the final cylon possibilities. Notably, the consequences that would result if each one were the Final Cylon:
• Dualla - early candidate of mine, but little change if it were her. She & Apollo have broken up already. No obvious emotional ties remaining to be cut.
• Starbuck - bunch of fights with Andurs, and with the Admiral. Oh wait, we've already seen that.
• Dr Cottle - no real consequences here. No obvious betrayals, or feuds with anyone. Very little fireworks if it were him.
• Kendra Shaw - distinct possibility. A bunch of civilians inducted into the Pegasus have bones to chew with her if she no longer wore the uniform, and became fair game. Not to mention fights with Starbuck.
• Laura Roslyn - big political fallout, and she would be removed from office. Result: Thomas Zarek sworn in. Most likely appointment as new VP: Lee Adama. If the Admiral dislikes Zarek enough to force him out, the Admiral will find himself taking orders from his own son. Lots of untenable positions here, very BSG-like.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 27, 2008, 08:53 PM

Isn't Starbuck colonel Tigh's daughter? She's like half-cylon or something.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2008, 10:08 PM

Umm...

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 27, 2008, 10:19 PM

Umm...
Should I have written 'spoiler'?

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 27, 2008, 10:23 PM

What the frak led you to believe that?
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

mrtew
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2008, 10:57 PM

So you've had an epiphany that BSG is stupid and it ruined the show for you and you've decided to ruin this thread for everyone else eh. Luckily threads are REALLY easy to ruin so you've got a simple job. Have fun.

reader50
Administrator
Apr 27, 2008, 11:28 PM

Not much of a spoiler. It is established in Valley Of Darkness (Season 2, Ep 2) that her father is a pianist. Col. Tigh doesn't strike me as the type. He plays the bottles rather than the ivories.

Starbuck is half-related to Admiral Adama. If she had married Zak before he died, she would have become a daughter-in-law to Adama. Zak died first, and Adama has sometimes treated her as a step daughter, but he's not legally obligated to do so.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2008, 12:35 AM

Was anyone else completely baffled by how Racetrack and what's-his-face survived that crash without a scratch on them? It looked like the cockpit was completely obliterated on impact even before the rest of the Raptor hit the wall and exploded.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2008, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
Was anyone else completely baffled by how Racetrack and what's-his-face survived that crash without a scratch on them? It looked like the cockpit was completely obliterated on impact even before the rest of the Raptor hit the wall and exploded.
Ya same. I thought they would both be dead for sure. And what the hell was that truck driving across the landing bay last second, it appeared out of nowhere.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2008, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by mrtew View Post
So you've had an epiphany that BSG is stupid and it ruined the show for you and you've decided to ruin this thread for everyone else eh. Luckily threads are REALLY easy to ruin so you've got a simple job. Have fun.
BSG has never been anything but stupid, it's a 2nd rate sci-fi TV series. I happen to like a lot of stupid TV series. This one isn't even the stupidest around, but it is the most stupid one I watch.

We waited more than a year for these episodes yet it seems each of them was written in a coffee break. I guess special effects just take so darn long to make. But hey, it's not like they were writing 4th season for a year, if they had then they would have finished writing before the strike.

Just check out the similarities of Starbuck and Tigh and how they hate each other. Oh yes. Father and daughter.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2008, 09:05 AM

BSG has never been anything but stupid, it's a 2nd rate sci-fi TV series. I happen to like a lot of stupid TV series. This one isn't even the stupidest around, but it is the most stupid one I watch.

We waited more than a year for these episodes yet it seems each of them was written in a coffee break. I guess special effects just take so darn long to make. But hey, it's not like they were writing 4th season for a year, if they had then they would have finished writing before the strike.

Just check out the similarities of Starbuck and Tigh and how they hate each other. Oh yes. Father and daughter.
And they even have the same last name: Thrace! No wait, Tigh! Hmm...

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2008, 09:08 AM

And they even have the same last name: Thrace! No wait, Tigh! Hmm...
Name schmame, the writers have a solution for that, don't you worry. That she is a half-cylon explains her visions you see, but she's not the final cylon model.

That's Gaius Baltar... (spoiler?)

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2008, 09:51 AM

Name schmame, the writers have a solution for that, don't you worry. That she is a half-cylon explains her visions you see, but she's not the final cylon model.

They've already revealed that the final Cylon was not in that promo picture (I think it's on the last page). So it's not Baltar and it's not Starbuck.

design219
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2008, 09:51 AM

Oh crap, they better come up with something better. That would be very disappointing.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2008, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
Oh crap, they better come up with something better. That would be very disappointing.
Look one post above yours.

synthfiend
Apr 28, 2008, 11:10 AM

Actually, It's spelled TGH, cos the Cylons took the "I".

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2008, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by synthfiend View Post
Actually, It's spelled TGH, cos the Cylons took the "I".
hahaha

@jokell

where is this promo picture you speak of.. I remember seeing many promo pics for BSG. Are you talking about the last supper one?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2008, 11:25 AM

hahaha

@jokell

where is this promo picture you speak of.. I remember seeing many promo pics for BSG. Are you talking about the last supper one?
Yes, sorry. This one:

Moore stated no one in that photo was the final cylon. I'll see if I can find that quote.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2008, 12:29 PM

Go here and click on 10.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2008, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by scottiB View Post
Go here and click on 10.
Cool I vote for Dwalla then

I just hope it isn't something weird like Zak Adama.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2008, 03:40 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if it was Gaeta.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2008, 03:44 PM

Seems judging by that link you posted Helo, and Athena will have some sort of conflict with the 6 on the left.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2008, 06:52 PM

What is that exactly? Well it is something from the old series that never aired called "The ship of lights".

Ship of Lights - Battlestar Wiki
Note "The Ship of Lights is the spacecraft used by the Beings of Light.
The Ship of Lights is an immensely large and fast spacecraft of unknown but highly advanced technology. Viper pilots hear a strange piercing sound as it approaches. The craft has the ability to render people unconscious, as well as make them disappear (War of the Gods, Part I). The "vanished" pilots and spacecraft are transported to a different dimension. When returned to their own dimension the warriors' memories have been erased regarding their abduction experience. (War of the Gods, Part II)."

That pretty sums up what happened to starbuck no?
Since you posted this I went and watched the episodes of the original series, and there's another undeniable parallel: when Starbuck and Apollo were returned from the ship of lights, they inexplicably knew the coordinates for finding Earth.

As to who these beings are I have a wild guess.
They MAY be the 12 beings who the humans worship as gods. This could be purley by accedent and they don't want this role.
Anyway, that's the rough idea I think. Thoughts?
Here's another wild guess: the beings of light are only going to be one being this time, the final cylon. First there was one cylon, which eventually "evolved" into the all-powerful "being of light," along the way producing the other 4 final-five cylons as well as the monotheistic mythology about him/her self. Later those 5 cylons created the other 7 as well as the 12-gods mythology about themselves. Now we'll be witnessing the creation of another wave of cylons (somehow), and they'll spawn their own religious overtones and conflicts. All this has happened before, yadda yadda yadda.

The reason I think the "visions" people will all turn out to be the beings of light: in the original series, the beings of light were real, but only visible to people they chose to be visible to (this was represented by touching them and turning their clothes/ships white). Kind of like what Six-in-the-head did to Baltar this week. This makes them, collectively, a character that has been active all along, but not someone you'd expect as the final cylon; a perfect end-of-the-series makes-you-groan-out-loud twist.

andi*pandi
Apr 29, 2008, 09:43 AM

Regarding tigh as a cylon: he and adama go way back, so people have seen him age. Do other cylons age? Brother Cavil is born from the goo as an old geezer, I had always presumed that he would stay an old geezer, in permanent state.

Now of course the little half-breeds have to age and grow.

Also like where they're going with Chief. Explains how he could find the eye. Made me stop feeling sorry for Cally. For a while I didn't want to watch BSG because it was so dark.

What was interesting in the first 2 seasons was finding humanity in the cylons, while at first finding cylonity in the humans (tory cold-bloodedly killing Cally) was kind of a downer. I had thought that the remaining final five would represent some kind of hope for humanity, some kind of link... the cold-bloodedness seemed to veer away from that possibility, but as Roslin says, sometimes the end justifies the means...

I cannot wait for 6 to realize Tigh is a cylon. Why hasn't she?

scottiB
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2008, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I cannot wait for 6 to realize Tigh is a cylon. Why hasn't she?
I know. I was hoping for Tigh's one eye to blink red when 6 was beating the tar out of him on the floor.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 29, 2008, 10:56 AM

Ya even though this episode was slow I like what they are setting up.

http://www.freefever.com/freeclipart...calsymbol2.gif
Yes the caduceus is a medical symbol used on earth, but in mythology it was the staff carried by the god Hermes, so that might not be significant in and of itself.

As an aside, the caduceus is used as a medical symbol, but it's a mistake. The actual staff symbol for medicine was the rod of Asclepius (son of Apollo, a healer) , which is a single staff entwined by a single serpent. Look at the side of an ambulance sometime, that's the version of the staff used in the EMS "star of life".

In the Last Supper picture, isn't the empty spot the same spot occupied by Judas Iscariot in the Leonardo painting?
Nemo me impune lacesset

Mithras
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2008, 11:57 AM

I thought Tigh and Six's conversation was under the assumption that Six knew what Tigh was? Maybe I'll have to listen again.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2008, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mithras View Post
I thought Tigh and Six's conversation was under the assumption that Six knew what Tigh was? Maybe I'll have to listen again.
Yeah I thought she had figured it out as well.

design219
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2008, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mithras View Post
I didn't get it that way. I thought it was Tigh being worried that she could sense him.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2008, 12:20 PM

Turn your head left and the people form an 'E'. What could it possibly mean???!?!?!?

Forum Links
Forum Rules