Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Help me, PLEASE!

Help me, PLEASE!
USNA91
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2005, 08:21 AM

My Powerbook G4 is having some SERIOUS glitch, and keeps having kernel panics. I'm shocked I haven't gotten one so far this morning.

I reinstalled the OS, but I still have the problem.

Where I need help is that while trying to get my data off the HD before it completely died, I LOST my iTunes library backup! My one and only method of copying the library (onto an external HDD) wiped the drive and then refused to copy the rest afterwards. All I have is what is ON the iPod!

PLEASE! Is there ANY way to get the music on the iPod off and back onto the HD? All the music on it is perfectly legit and legal!

PLEASE HELP! I'm talking close to 4000 songs!

mo
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 10, 2005, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by USNA91
My Powerbook G4 is having some SERIOUS glitch, and keeps having kernel panics. I'm shocked I haven't gotten one so far this morning.

I reinstalled the OS, but I still have the problem.

Where I need help is that while trying to get my data off the HD before it completely died, I LOST my iTunes library backup! My one and only method of copying the library (onto an external HDD) wiped the drive and then refused to copy the rest afterwards. All I have is what is ON the iPod!

PLEASE! Is there ANY way to get the music on the iPod off and back onto the HD? All the music on it is perfectly legit and legal!

PLEASE HELP! I'm talking close to 4000 songs!
There are various utilities for accomplishing this. One of them is Xpod. If it doesn't suit you, you might do a search of "iPod transfer" on versiontracker.

USNA91  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2005, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by mo
There are various utilities for accomplishing this. One of them is Xpod. If it doesn't suit you, you might do a search of "iPod transfer" on versiontracker.
I tried downloading that, but all I got was a file with a ".sit" extention, which my Mac couldn't read.

Doesn't matter right now, anyway. The PB has to go into the shop. Repeated kernel panics, et al.

Damn!

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 10, 2005, 06:37 PM

".sit" files are files compressed by Stuffit; your Mac should be able to read any .sit file because it's the default Mac compression utility. You should have a copy of Stuffit on your Mac that was provided with the OS (it's not as complete as the commercial version, but it will do the job). Look in your Applications folder.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Aug 10, 2005, 08:05 PM

Wait, you did a clean install on your Hard Drive before backing up your files?

When did you buy the computer? Online? Other Store? *Apple? *(go down one line)
Where did you buy it? Under warranty? Take it in.

Yes, you can get the music off of your iPod and you can put it back onto your computer as suggested, and you should be able to unstuff the 'sit' file as it is the standard used for Macs.

USNA91  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2005, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by budster101
Wait, you did a clean install on your Hard Drive before backing up your files?
Just so people won't think I'm entirely stupid...

What happened is that I had a beautiful backup of about 85% of my music collection. Due to circumstances I won't bore you with here, I had not been able to update the backup in some time.

Well, lo and behold, the damned thing begins acting up, so I immediately do a backup while I still can. I manage to get everything bu the music, mostly in spurts between kernel panics.

So, (and perhaps like an idiot), I try to copy off the music. I don't realize that when Finder asks you if you want to replace repeated files and you say yes, it WIPES everything first. Oops.

Now by this time, I getting a KP every few minutes, so backing up is pointless. I figure I can try a recovery of the HDD IF the iPod recover fails. By this time I wasn't thinking entirely straight.

So I try an Archive and Install. CRASH! I try again. CRASH. It starts itself and I try an update. CRASH. I then try to do an A&I again, but the only option allowable is wipe and install. CRASH. It finally finishes the second time.

Little good it did me. Damn thing is acting like a windoze machine. CRASH! CRASH! CRASH!

OY!

When did you buy the computer? Online? Other Store? *Apple? *(go down one line)
Where did you buy it? Under warranty? Take it in.
I bought it in November with the Apple Care extension. I must admit that aside from the waiting on the phone (10 minutes max) the three or four guys I spoke to (three different calls) were extremely polite and very helpful. One guy even called me right back when my cell phone dropped the call (cell coverage in Mexico isn't great).

So in it goes for free. I asked them to replace the sticking keyboard while they're at it...

Yes, you can get the music off of your iPod and you can put it back onto your computer as suggested, and you should be able to unstuff the 'sit' file as it is the standard used for Macs.
Thank God for the first. Are there any recommendations for a good program to do this with? I don't want any chances of corruption of the iPod or I'll freak.

As for the .sit file, the computer kept saying it couldn't recognize the file type. But hey, it promptly paniced again, so it wouldn't have mattered. :/

Thanks!

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Aug 10, 2005, 08:55 PM

Go to an Apple store, explain what happened. Also do what I PM'ed you. They'll likely comply if you are convincing.

Later.

mo
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 10, 2005, 09:18 PM

I'm terribly sorry to hear of your continued problem. I'm sure, though, regardless of whatever else, that .sit file for xpod can be opened with stuffit expander. If for some reason you don't have stuffit on your powerbook, whenever you get it back, go to this site, download stuffit, and decompress the xpod application.

In the meantime, don't casually link your iPod to another computer and unintentionally overwrite the song files! And most of all, don't panic! (Let your kernel do the panicking for you.)

USNA91  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2005, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by mo
In the meantime, don't casually link your iPod to another computer and unintentionally overwrite the song files! And most of all, don't panic! (Let your kernel do the panicking for you.)

Oh, HECK NO! My iPod is officially isolated from the remainder of the universe until further notice. Heck, I may remove iTunes from my computer altogether before I try to recover the iPod, just to be sure!

Funny you should say DON'T PANIC! My handle on almost every other board I frequent is Zaphod!

Forum Links
Forum Rules