Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Sherlock outside US [:(]

Sherlock outside US [:(]
ixus_123
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 23, 2002, 04:50 PM

I know you Apple guys must read the forums so come on and get your act together. Sherlock looks great but it is of little use to me in the UK.

Ebay searches only the US site, the english dictionary is not english in the international sense but rather american english.

Oh and as a side note where can I find extra channels? (like the one for looking up whats on at the cinema with a preview as I saw at the expo)

Rant done - others please add your views
iBook G3 366mhz as a web server:
http://kieren.demon.co.uk/wordpress/

Nexus5
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 23, 2002, 06:07 PM

Its nothing new that Apple is very lazy in "porting" stuff for europe.
How long do we have iPhoto? There is still no way to order prints online direct from iPhoto in europe. This is so lame.
Apple is doing everything to reduce their marketshare in europe to nearly zero - read my lips: ZERO!

nexus5.

TC
Senior User
Dec 23, 2002, 06:34 PM

Yep, Jobs promised us the ability to print from iPhoto ages ago and told us they where working on European channels but nothing so far.

Thing is that almost everyone in Europe just ises colorplaza in Switzerland to do their processing, including companies like Sony. Why can't Apple just sign up with them?
Nothing to see, move along.

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 23, 2002, 08:34 PM

If you get bored over christmas it doesn't look to hard to create a sherlock plugin that you could use to search a localised ebay.

Have a look at macosxhints for one they created.

If you can find out how the official ebay channel is written it would be well easy to alter it. Maybe there are not many people hacking the mac platform outside of the US.

Also might be worth reading the developer site

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Dec 24, 2002, 02:22 AM

Not only that, all the measurement units in the new improved(?) 10.2 version of the calculator are spelled in US English (Meters, Liters...)

To make the matter worse, they stuff up two measurement units:

1. Metric Ton (should be Tonnes)
2. Kilograms/Square Meter (should be Pascals)

I thought that Apple engineers would have learnt science in Metric units during their university degree (oh, I mean college degree)...

jimsmac
Dec 24, 2002, 03:31 AM

Originally posted by ixus_123:

Oh and as a side note where can I find extra channels? (like the one for looking up whats on at the cinema with a preview as I saw at the expo)
In Sherlock preferences go to the 'Countries' tab and make sure you have USA ticked. If it's not available then you may need to tick 'show all countries' first, wait for all the countries to download and then turn on the USA. This will give you movies, stocks, and yellow pages.
James
eMac 1.25, iBook 600, Airport Extreme, iPod G4 20gb

Sven G
Professional Poster
Dec 24, 2002, 02:05 PM

Originally posted by veryniceguy2002:
I thought that Apple engineers would have learnt science in Metric units during their university degree (oh, I mean college degree)...
... Especially, also, when the name of their (and our) system is Mac OS X ("Ten") - more metric than so!

The real problem, sadly, is that the whole US (not only Apple) haven't completely gone metric, yet - and it will probably take some time before they do...

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 24, 2002, 04:32 PM

Originally posted by ixus_123:
I know you Apple guys must read the forums so come on and get your act together. Sherlock looks great but it is of little use to me in the UK.

Ebay searches only the US site, the english dictionary is not english in the international sense but rather american english.

Rant done - others please add your views
If you live in the UK try to get hold of MacFormat (issue January 2003) look on page 19, there is an interview with Mark Rogers (Apple UK Chief) The magazine asks him ...
One of the problems with Apple being so geared towards the US marketplace is the situation with iPhoto and Sherlock. Its nearly a year on from those products being released and still we dont have UK content. You've promised that the situation would change by the end of the year. We're still waiting.
Note...its a long answer so I'll highlight all the relevant points
The difficulty is thw way the UK marketplace is structured with regard to some providers such as, yellow pages...But we are working hard to get some of the services avaliable...We could have come to the table with a product, with a set of services that didn't meet those needs and had similar criticisms for bringing the wrong solution to the market. We felt that it was better to hold off until we had the right products for the UK marketplace
Another question
So are we able to talk in terms of a date for these features arriving?
I cant give you a date at present. We're not that far down in terms of those negotiations but we are absolutley working on those things
So basically us UK users will not be getting it anytime soon...
we don't have time to stop for gas

jimsmac
Dec 24, 2002, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by PeterClark2002:

So basically us UK users will not be getting it anytime soon...
With regards to books in iPhoto, i wouldn't mind paying the shipping from the US but the option for that is not there.

Surely that would be easy for apple to do?
James

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 24, 2002, 04:57 PM

no becuase aple belive that you should use the correct store ie. UK - English Apple Store ...
we don't have time to stop for gas

jimsmac
Dec 24, 2002, 05:09 PM

Originally posted by PeterClark2002:
no becuase aple belive that you should use the correct store ie. UK - English Apple Store ...
If this is so important to them what's to stop the order going through the UK site? It must be easier / a stop gap than doing a deal to actually print the books in the UK.
James

ixus_123  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 25, 2002, 05:23 PM

Wow, the feedback was great. Ass for the iPhoto part is that just concerning geting digital print or ordering online?
I have found that Kodak shops near me will print photos from CD or compact flash for the same price as film.

Oh and Peter, thanks- I'll try and get hold of that magazine - I could do with something to read rather than watching all the TV repeats.

ism, cheeers for the links -i'll checkk them out once I'm done in the forums.
iBook G3 366mhz as a web server:
http://kieren.demon.co.uk/wordpress/

atomised
Forum Regular
Dec 27, 2002, 12:24 AM

well australia has a centralised (and on-line) white and yellow pages but sherlock is as usless as you would imagine. same also for iphoto (ie: no printing).

the americanised miss-spellings of words like metre are a bit of an afront and to have to put up with this cultural imperialism of an american dictonary is past annoying.

that was the funny thing when 10.2 was on its way, as the rest of the world went 'so what if sherlock tells us when american movies, addresses, ebay etc..' in fact i think i've used it once and that was simply to see what it looked like now...

undotwa
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2002, 06:47 AM

Originally posted by atomised:
well australia has a centralised (and on-line) white and yellow pages but sherlock is as usless as you would imagine. same also for iphoto (ie: no printing).

the americanised miss-spellings of words like metre are a bit of an afront and to have to put up with this cultural imperialism of an american dictonary is past annoying.

that was the funny thing when 10.2 was on its way, as the rest of the world went 'so what if sherlock tells us when american movies, addresses, ebay etc..' in fact i think i've used it once and that was simply to see what it looked like now...
Just submit to americanisms. SUBMIT!!! Come on we already have American movies, we are practicly americans anyway. Our kids are speaking american, we might as well give up and speak it ourselves?

I'm such a true blue aussie aren't I?
In vino veritas.

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Dec 28, 2002, 05:37 AM

Originally posted by undotwa:
Just submit to americanisms. SUBMIT!!! Come on we already have American movies, we are practicly americans anyway. Our kids are speaking american, we might as well give up and speak it ourselves?

I'm such a true blue aussie aren't I?
Come on, you are not trying to start a flame, right?

I don't know what you are talking about? We are still watching cricket, not baseball, and the football you follow might be different from my football, but I'm sure neither one plays with a helmet, right?

The thing is, if Apple offers different language options in Mac OS X, with different options for "Australian English", "U.S. English", "British English" and "English", plus different time setting for those different location and so on, I would expect their localisation would go a bit further than what they have at the moment...

Forum Links
Forum Rules