Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > is .mac down?

is .mac down?
restbeckett
Jan 24, 2003, 11:15 PM

I've not been able to retrieve or send out email for the last 10 hours now via POP3/SMTP. Apple's site, .mac site is also down. What the heck? Is it just me?

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2003, 11:36 PM

I can both access .Mac and my iDisk.

Good luck figuring things out

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2003, 01:46 AM

I hadn't been having any trouble, but I've just started to. This is from multiple machines on multiple platforms either, so it's got to be the server.

My guess: people who didn't get it through their heads that the iLife apps were delayed for a week are trying to all download at once, effectivly dDOS'ing the whole system of servers.

What is this fascination with having the latest and greatest right the second it comes out anyway? Is this some remnant of the l33t 0-day warez syndrome?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Nep2ne
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2003, 02:02 AM

Again, I doubt it that this is caused by any DOS to Apple.

.Mac would not be down due to DOS caused by folks wanting to download the iLife apps anyway. It would be elsewhere, like the software section.

www.mac.com is down for some other reason. Could be an update, could be maintenance. We'll just have to wait and see, but I seriously doubt it's due to any DOS caused by hopeful iLife downloaders...
------
Friend of All Cats.

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2003, 02:17 AM

OK, .Mac is down for me now too.

I guess everyone is looking to see if iLife is available or not

macmad
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2003, 02:26 AM

And software Update can't find server either. Is 10.2.4 coming today?

Nep2ne
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2003, 02:28 AM

If anything, I think that .mac addressbook sync capabilities are on their way... let's cross our fingers!

Would make sense, at any rate...
------
Friend of All Cats.

mousie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2003, 04:37 AM

Not only is .Mac down, I cannot access my mac.com email through Mail or the web, I can't reach the paid members support site, and to top it off: I can't post on Apple's free forums either. Sigh.

The message on the .Mac System Status page says:

.Mac
January 19th, 2003
.Mac email is currently unavailable for a small number of .Mac customers. iDisk and web-based services (like HomePage, Backup and iCards) are unaffected.

Hello? It's the 25th?

Jonesy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2003, 04:54 AM

8.54 GMT on 25th Jan. I can't check mail, check software update or look at my homepage. iChat won't connect. iDisk not happening. The .mac website is down also.

Everything which requires acccess to .mac is down.

I wonder what they are up to?

Nep2ne
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2003, 04:56 AM

This may not have anything to do with Apple's servers. There is DDoS going on against the heavy internet backbone providers right now.

Many folks can access Apple's site, and can get email, many can't. It depends on where they live and who their provider is.

For more info, see the "Stop Clogging Apple's Server Already" Topic in this forum.
------
Friend of All Cats.

Ganesha
Senior User
Jan 25, 2003, 04:59 AM

It's not just .mac that is down. I suspect .mac is actually up but just not very accessible.

I'm also logging an distributed network attack on my machines on UDP 1434, don't know if that is related or not.

Nep2ne
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2003, 05:14 AM

Re: DDoS:

http://www.internetpulse.net/

An hour ago, only two providers were red, or "critical". Could be pretty bad for everyone...
------
Friend of All Cats.

Parky
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2003, 05:49 AM

Well I can reach any site except .Mac
no problems at all with anything else.

No mail, no .Mac, nothing. The Apple site is fine though, if they have a real problem with .Mac, they could have put a mesage on the Apple page saying something.

This is typical of the .Mac service, it goes down and there is no way to get information about when it will be back up. You can't call an information number, or customer service desk.

Better still you don't even get an apology when they eventually fix it.
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

Tiauguinho
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2003, 09:49 AM

Most of the internet was down today. i couldnt acess many sites this morning. something was up today. I heard that it as a new worm that was bringing down almost all networks and specially the root servers. Seems to be fine now.

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2003, 09:57 AM

Do people read posts or just post? Read before posting. The answer is already out there.

Parky
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2003, 10:15 AM

The answer is not already out there !!!

.Mac as down, not caused by a general internet problem, otherwise why can we access Apple.com but not Mac.com ?
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

Ganesha
Senior User
Jan 25, 2003, 02:19 PM

Originally posted by Parky:

.Mac as down, not caused by a general internet problem, otherwise why can we access Apple.com but not Mac.com ?
My guess .Mac and Apple are on different networks.

OR .Mac is running 2000 Server and got turned into a zombie, this would also explain the constant downtime.

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2003, 03:46 PM

Originally posted by Parky:

Because Mac.com is on a different backbone? Apple doesn't have one small closet full of servers hooked up to one router it runs everything out of. Duh.

Tiauguinho
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2003, 05:05 PM

My cable net service provider is currently on the ups and downs. They are facing extreme dificulties getting the servers to run. CNN already posted a news on this. I dont have the link for the news ( since im posting on the office computer) but you guys can go there and search for yourselfes. I wonder how much damage this new worm really did. And this is not Apple's fault for .Mac, this is worldwide.

DasDaSein+
Jan 25, 2003, 06:13 PM

The answer is here and already posted on german news sites:

https://gtoc.iss.net/issEn/delivery/gtoc/index.jsp

Forum Links
Forum Rules