Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Swapping iBook harddrives..questions

Swapping iBook harddrives..questions
jptl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2005, 04:09 PM

My G3 clamshell has a power-up problem that came about from spilling coffee on the keyboard and the power button.
Looks like sine -''-..- and I have to learn to keep hot liquids - or any liquids for that matter away from our iBooks.
I then heard some high pitched buzzing, so I immediately unplugged it, & pulled the battery. I then took it apart to dry it out as much as I could. After an hour or so, I tried to fire it up, and I heard the buzzing again. Needless to say, I believe that something is fried out. I know nothing about the guts of these, or how to test a power board(?) It won't power up, and the buzzing has stopped.
I've tried to reset it to no avail. The charge light does come on when I plug in the AC. The battery is good. I don't think I'm going to have sine -''-..- 's luck with this coming back from the dead....maybe I'll start drinking tea from now on.
Since the cost of sending this in for repairs would outweigh the value of the iBook, I decided to get a donor iBook....or use this as a donor, figuring that the hard drives could be swapped.
My zapped clamshell is an M6411. I don't know the processor speed, however.
The replacement clamshell is an M2453 366MHz. By all indications, the replacement unit likely has a slower processor...but I've got to deal with that.
Can I simply swap hard drives from my zapped book to the replacement book, or is it not that simple.
Can processors be swapped as well?

Thanks,
JP
( Last edited by jptl; Dec 15, 2005 at 04:16 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules