Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Panther Mail not recognizing Junk?

Panther Mail not recognizing Junk?
krove
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2003, 01:46 AM

After upgrading to Panther (10.3), Mail no longer recognizes ANY junk mail.

I have an account that gets a good deal of junk mail, so when I went to check my mail for the first time in Panther, it downloaded all this junk mail to my inbox which normally would go to the Junk mail folder.

Junk mail filtering is turned on in Mail preferences, yet I get zero filtering. Any ideas?

I have tried toggling it on and off, and I have since received junk messages that still go to my inbox. WHY?!?

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

DAlex
Oct 25, 2003, 06:58 PM

Originally posted by krove:
After upgrading to Panther (10.3), Mail no longer recognizes ANY junk mail.

I have an account that gets a good deal of junk mail, so when I went to check my mail for the first time in Panther, it downloaded all this junk mail to my inbox which normally would go to the Junk mail folder.

Junk mail filtering is turned on in Mail preferences, yet I get zero filtering. Any ideas?

I have tried toggling it on and off, and I have since received junk messages that still go to my inbox. WHY?!?
I've had the same problem, but it is ok now. Not sure which of these made the difference but firstly I had it in training mode for a while, then I suspected that a rule I had implemented manually was intercepting emails before the junk rule go look-in, so I manually implemented a junk rule aboove it in the rules list, set junk filtering to automatic and it seems fine now.......

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2003, 07:01 PM

I found that my Junk "Rule" I manually made no longer worked in Panther; however, once I turned that off....the built-in Junk filtering took over and has been working great...

NeXTLoop
Senior User
Oct 25, 2003, 07:56 PM

There's also the option to reset the junk mail filtering system. I think that's what I'm going to have to do. It's driving me nuts right now.

krove  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2003, 02:48 AM

I just reset it, hopefully it will work fine now. We'll see...

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

m4rtin
Oct 27, 2003, 11:40 PM

Originally posted by krove:
I just reset it, hopefully it will work fine now. We'll see...
I tried the reset and it still doesn't work.

Anyone know the solution?

(sorry for my posted new topic - my earlier search didn't pick this thread up, I'll go delete it now)

xMetal
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2003, 01:06 PM

i also noticed this problem.

I originally tried putting it in training mode for a bit, and then switched it back and that helped a little but it was missing a lot of junk.

I also had a rule for junk, and I redid that to only include the criteria "if message is junk mail"

we'll see if this gets it back to normal.

wvx
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2003, 01:54 PM

I've had the same problem

NeXTLoop
Senior User
Oct 28, 2003, 02:01 PM

Well, I think I found a solution, although its a pain in the butt.

1. Move your Mail folder in your Home Library folder to your Desktop.

2. Move ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist to your Desktop as well.

3. Log out to clear out X's application cache settings. (You may not need to do this step, but it doesn't hurt and might help)

4. Start Mail and go thru the process of setting up your normal email accounts.

5. Once your accounts are setup, quite Mail and navigate to the old Mail folder on your Desktop.

6. Copy (be sure COPY, not move, these files so you still have a backup in case this doesn't work) all the folders that begin with "POP", as well as your "Mailboxes" folder (if you have one) to ~/Library/Mail. DO NOT copy any of the other files, as some of these are quite likely the cause of the problem. If you have any IMAP accounts, you probably don't need to restore those, as you can simply synchronize with your server.

7. If you want to preserve your signatures, you might also copy the Signatures.plist file from your old Mail folder into ~/Library/Mail.

8. DO NOT restore the com.apple.mail.plist file, as this could also be part of the problem. You simply backed it up in case this whole process goes haywire.

You will have to setup all your filters again, but your Junk mail filtering will once again work.

It's possible that there might be a simpler solution as well. You'll notice that in this new Mail folder that was created there's a file called "LSMMap2". In your old folder you probably had "LSMMap" and "LSMMap2". It's possible that simply deleting the "LSMMap" file might do the trick. In my case, Mail had started missing as much junk as it was catching in the last couple weeks of Jag. So since I wanted a "fresh" Mail preference setup anyways, I didn't mind the extra legwork of the above steps. But if you're not up to the above steps, you might try removing that "LSMMap" file.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2003, 04:15 PM

Advanced settings really seem to negate Junkmail's settings and basically allow no filtering. I had this issue with the beta not stopping any junk, but it was also because it was a fresh install, so mail had no training. So if anyone here did a clean install, you'll have to start over and train junk mail filtering. Also, I'd make sure there aren't any advanced settings made to the filters as they don't seem to gel well.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

Forum Links
Forum Rules