Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > can Panther VPN substitute for Cisco client?

can Panther VPN substitute for Cisco client?
OmniX
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2003, 02:30 PM

I used the Cisco VPN client (3.6.x) under 10.2 to VPN into my office network, but now that Panther has expanded, built-in VPN support (L2TP and PPTP), I'd like to use that instead.

My question (since my Office network admin is Windows person and doesn't know Mac too well): can Panther's built-in VPN client be used to connect to a Cisco VPN concentrator?

I tried just putting in my VPN server IP, and user name/pass into the L2TP part of Panther's Internet Connect, but I am never able to establish a succcessful connection.

Anyone have any ideas? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. (are there some hidden preferences/options somewhere where one could input more of the Cisco profile data stored in their .pcf files???)

tx,
ox

alien
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 10, 2003, 02:49 PM

No, I don't think this is possible. Cisco, along with other VPN equipment vendors, use proprietary protocols in addition to the standards. Only the Cisco client can handle those.

I use the 4.0.2C client with Panther. Works fine it seems.

oranjdisc
Senior User
Dec 10, 2003, 05:29 PM

Ditto. You'll have to use the Cisco VPN. I'm forced into using it as well.

laxthxdude
Forum Regular
Dec 11, 2003, 01:50 AM

Yes it can, however the catch is that the Cisco PIX end at your office needs to be setup to accept incoming L2TP traffic. To do this, the admin will need to configure the VPN device with a certificate. If its a PIX, then it requires version 6.1 or higher (If I remember correctly). The certificate can be from most of the major providers (VeriSign, MS, etc). Cisco has instuctions out on its site on how to set it up. Once done, users on W2K SP2 or higher machines can use the built in VPN connection in Windows via L2TP and it shoudl work fine with Panther.

Hope this helps...

Forum Links
Forum Rules