Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Nasa scientist: Bush wore device during first debate

Nasa scientist: Bush wore device during first debate
GSixZero
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2004, 12:00 AM

NASA photo analyst: Bush wore a device during debate

Physicist says imaging techniques prove the president's bulge was not caused by wrinkled clothing.
- - - - - - - - - - - -
By Kevin Berger

Oct. 29, 2004 _|_ George W. Bush tried to laugh off the bulge. "I don't know what that is," he said on "Good Morning America" on Wednesday, referring to the infamous protrusion beneath his jacket during the presidential debates. "I'm embarrassed to say it's a poorly tailored shirt."

Dr. Robert M. Nelson, however, was not laughing. He knew the president was not telling the truth. And Nelson is neither conspiracy theorist nor midnight blogger. He's a senior research scientist for NASA and for Caltech's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, and an international authority on image analysis. Currently he's engrossed in analyzing digital photos of Saturn's moon Titan, determining its shape, whether it contains craters or canyons.

For the past week, while at home, using his own computers, and off the clock at Caltech and NASA, Nelson has been analyzing images of the president's back during the debates. A professional physicist and photo analyst for more than 30 years, he speaks earnestly and thoughtfully about his subject. "I am willing to stake my scientific reputation to the statement that Bush was wearing something under his jacket during the debate," he says. "This is not about a bad suit. And there's no way the bulge can be described as a wrinkled shirt."

Nelson and a scientific colleague produced the photos from a videotape, recorded by the colleague, who has chosen to remain anonymous, of the first debate. The images provide the most vivid details yet of the bulge beneath the president's suit. Amateurs have certainly had their turn at examining the bulge, but no professional with a r�sum� as impressive as Nelson's has ventured into public with an informed opinion. In fact, no one to date has enhanced photos of Bush's jacket to this degree of precision, and revealed what appears to be some kind of mechanical device with a wire snaking up the president's shoulder toward his neck and down his back to his waist.

Nelson stresses that he's not certain what lies beneath the president's jacket. He offers, though, "that it could be some type of electronic device -- it's consistent with the appearance of an electronic device worn in that manner." The image of lines coursing up and down the president's back, Nelson adds, is "consistent with a wire or a tube."

Nelson used the computer software program Photoshop to enhance the texture in Bush's jacket. The process in no way alters the image but sharpens its edges and accents the creases and wrinkles. You've seen the process performed a hundred times on "CSI": pixelated images are magnified to reveal a clear definition of their shape.

Bruce Hapke, professor emeritus of planetary science in the department of geology and planetary science at the University of Pittsburgh, reviewed the Bush images employed by Nelson, whom he calls "a very highly respected scientist in his field." Hapke says Nelson's process of analyzing the images are the "exact same methods we use to analyze images taken by spacecraft of planetary surfaces. It does not introduce any artifacts into the picture in any way."

How can Nelson be certain there's some kind of mechanical device beneath Bush's jacket? It's all about light and shadows, he says. The angles at which the light in the studio hit Bush's jacket expose contours that fit no one's picture of human anatomy and wrinkled shirts. And Nelson compared the images to anatomy texts. He also experimented with wrinkling shirts in various configurations, wore them under his jacket under his bathroom light, and couldn't produce anything close to the Bush bulge.

In the enhanced photo of the first debate, Nelson says, look at the horizontal white line in middle of the president's back. You'll see a shadow. "That's telling me there's definitely a bulge," he says. "In fact, it's how we measure the depths of the craters on the moon or on Mars. We look at the angle of the light and the length of shadow they leave. In this case, that's clearly a crater that's under the horizontal line -- it's clearly a rim of a bulge protruding upward, one due to forces pushing it up from beneath."

Hapke, too, agrees that the bulge is neither anatomy nor a wrinkled shirt. "I would think it's very hard to avoid the conclusion that there's something underneath his jacket," he says. "It would certainly be consistent with some kind of radio receiver and a wire."

Nelson admits that he's a Democrat and plans to vote for John Kerry. But he takes umbrage at being accused of partisanship. "Everyone wants to think my colleague and I are just a bunch of dope-crazed ravaged Democrats who are looking to insult the president at the last minute," he says. "And that's not what this is about. This is scientific analysis. If the bulge were on Bill Clinton's back and he was lying about it, I'd have to say the same thing."

"Look, he says, "I'm putting myself at risk for exposing this. But this is too important. It's not about my reputation. If they force me into an early retirement, it'll be worth it if the public knows about this. It's outrageous statements that I read that the president is wearing nothing under there. There's clearly something there."

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/20.../index_np.html

ImpulseResponse

sideus
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2004, 12:38 AM

Is there an ear peice?

Who knows what it was for. Could be a Secret Service thing incase they needed to inform the President of something.

Of course, there will be people on this forum that think they know for damn sure it WAS a radio device so someone could talk the President through the debate. Because certain people here know way more and are more intelligent than everyone else and think they can run the U.S. and world using the Politcal lounge on MacNN.com much better than the current administration.

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2004, 12:46 AM

I'm really just as puzzled as the rest of you.
<some witty quote that identifies my originality as a person except for the fact everyone else does the same thing>

andi*pandi
Oct 29, 2004, 01:32 AM

from those pix, it looks like he wears a truss?

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2004, 01:42 AM

Originally posted by sideus:
Of course, there will be people on this forum that think they know for damn sure it WAS a radio device so someone could talk the President through the debate. Because certain people here know way more and are more intelligent than everyone else and think they can run the U.S. and world using the Politcal lounge on MacNN.com much better than the current administration.
Well, we'd be hard-pressed to do any worse, that's for sure.

As for the thing on his back ... who knows? He did skip his physical, though. Maybe that has something to do with it? Perhaps it's a sort of "brian catheter"? You know, to prevent brain juice drippage.

Really, no onw probably cares.

But here is my analysis:

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 29, 2004, 02:44 AM

I think it's kind of funny that every police department in the country can wire up a crackhead with a device that you would about need a microscope to see, yet the POTUS can't do better than a device that looks like someone slipped a tack hammer under his jacket. Maybe it was a tack hammer, just in case Kerry got a little too uppity. Any of you guys ever think of that???

It would have made the debate a lot more interesting. Actually, I had to work and didn't get to see the debate, instead relying on MacNN's resident spin meisters. But I can't imagine watching these two assholes bicker was all that exciting. At least not as exciting as it would be if they were armed.
Nemo me impune lacesset

JohnnyAppleseed
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2004, 03:50 AM

Originally posted by andi*pandi:
from those pix, it looks like he wears a truss?
Maybe he was wearing a bra and panties. I heard he was kinda kinky in college.

sideus
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2004, 04:04 AM

Originally posted by ThinkInsane:
I think it's kind of funny that every police department in the country can wire up a crackhead with a device that you would about need a microscope to see, yet the POTUS can't do better than a device that looks like someone slipped a tack hammer under his jacket.

TubaMuffins
Senior User
Oct 29, 2004, 04:11 AM

I dont get it

Originally posted by CD Hanks:

I'm really just as puzzled as the rest of you.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2004, 04:58 AM

Actually, it looks an awful lot like an infusion pack.

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2004, 05:17 AM

Originally posted by TubaMuffins:
I dont get it
<some witty quote that identifies my originality as a person except for the fact everyone else does the same thing>

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2004, 08:09 AM

Originally posted by TubaMuffins:
I dont get it
He's showing that Bush has a scapula.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2004, 08:19 AM

I don't remember it being against the rules or anything. What difference does it make?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2004, 09:47 AM

!!!!^!!OMG!!^!!!!

F0RG3T TEH T4X CU7S!!1!

I D0N'7 WAN7 2 K33P MY M0N3Y!!1!

SCR3W TEH H34L7H C4R3^!!

SCR3W TEH M0R4L I$$U3Z!!1!!

Are the libbies back to taking pot-shots again?

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2004, 09:51 AM

"Device"

Is a bulletproof vest a "device" - I know he's had to wear them in the past?

I still like the theory that it's a spine. At least we know that John Kerry didn't/doesn't have the same device.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

andi*pandi
Oct 29, 2004, 10:23 AM

if it were a bulletproof vest or a TV microphone battery pack, or any of the plausible possibilities, why the hell wouldn't he say so.

Still, not the biggest fish to fry.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2004, 10:36 AM

Who cares at this point.

It's NOT news, folks.

Move on. Let's talk about how Teresa Heinz Kerry advised her husband to run his campaign:

"Be yourself, be warm, be vulnerable--I think vulnerability makes you better able to lead."
I'm sure Al Quaeda would LOVE a "vulnerable" leader.

Actually, having her as a "first 'lady'" for four years would be very amusing. She continues to say and do the wrong things.

Maybe Teresa Heinz Kerry should wear a device so that people can tell her, "SHUT UP! For God's sake, shut up!"

Anyway, have a great Friday!

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2004, 10:47 AM

Originally posted by Cody Dawg:
Who cares at this point.

snip

Anyway, have a great Friday!
I agree, this is a waste of time. However, I don't see your suggested topic as being an improvement though.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 29, 2004, 10:50 AM

Originally posted by RAILhead:
!!!!^!!OMG!!^!!!!

F0RG3T TEH T4X CU7S!!1!

SCR3W TEH H34L7H C4R3^!!

Maury
Damn, you really seem like a bitter man.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2004, 11:04 AM

Originally posted by Icruise:
Damn, you really seem like a bitter man.
I'm bitter because someone brought-up this ridiculous story again and I made fun of it? If I was bitter, I don't think I'd be poking fun at things, would I mein freund? Wouldn't I descend into a tirade of personal attacks and name calling like my little nephews did when they were 8 years old?

Bitter! No sir! I'm so pleased and happy with life it's DISGUSTING -- just ask me ol' wifey.

Cheerio!

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2004, 11:09 AM

Another Democratic bait and switch.

We start arguing over the "secret communication device" until we make the original poster look foolish, then they pull out the "AREN'T THERE MORE IMPORTANT THINGS THEN THIS TO TALK ABOUT LIKE IRAQ AND THE ECONOMY!!!"

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2004, 11:12 AM

I'm bitter because someone brought-up this ridiculous story again and I made fun of it? If I was bitter, I don't think I'd be poking fun at things, would I mein freund? Wouldn't I descend into a tirade of personal attacks and name calling like my little nephews did when they were 8 years old?

Bitter! No sir! I'm so pleased and happy with life it's DISGUSTING -- just ask me ol' wifey.

Cheerio!

Maury
I think your generous use of ALL CAPS gives everyone the impression that you are yelling a lot. That's typically what caps are used for in forums.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2004, 11:18 AM

Originally posted by xi_hyperon:
I think your generous use of ALL CAPS gives everyone the impression that you are yelling a lot. That's typically what caps are used for in forums.
Heh, thanks -- but I pretty much have teh internet down pat. Where was I yelling? You mean wehn i poked fun with the haxx0r speak? Some of you got offended -- yes OFFENDED -- at that?!?

Heh.

Sorry.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2004, 11:22 AM

Heh, thanks -- but I pretty much have teh internet down pat. Where was I yelling? You mean wehn i poked fun with the haxx0r speak? Some of you got offended -- yes OFFENDED -- at that?!?

Heh.

Sorry.
Offended. No. I couldn't care less actually.

I only offered insight to why someone might think you are bitter. And yes, all caps is frequently interpreted as yelling. And you don't just use caps for haxxor speak (see your post above).

Look at your username. Part of it is RAIL. I'm just ribbing you now, but my original post was just pointing out why someone may have thought that. It's all cool.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2004, 11:24 AM

Originally posted by andi*pandi:
if it were a bulletproof vest or a TV microphone battery pack, or any of the plausible possibilities, why the hell wouldn't he say so.
Or a brace to prevent his injured shouder from his bike fall from sagging while healing... why the heck should the President take time away from his job and campaign to address every damn conspiracy theory?

I can hear Kerry now: "This President can't even stand up straight without the help of a posture brace. Not only can i stand straigh unassisted - I can do it better."

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 29, 2004, 11:28 AM

Heh.

Sorry.
Offended? Not really. But I've been reading your posts for weeks now and your main contribution to most threads seems to be eye-rolling condencension toward anything posted by the left leaning members. I guess I kind of feel sorry for you, if your point of view is so polarized.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2004, 11:32 AM

Offended? Not really. But I've been reading your posts for weeks now and your main contribution to most threads seems to be eye-rolling condencension toward anything posted by the left leaning members. I guess I kind of feel sorry for you, if your point of view is so polarized.

I think it's the paradox that you take these messages and boards FAR (oops -- I mean "far") more seriously than you do.

Lighten up, mien kapitan!

Maury

mydog8mymac
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 29, 2004, 11:39 AM

Originally posted by JohnnyAppleseed:
Maybe he was wearing a bra and panties. I heard he was kinda kinky in college.
This is truely the more interesting topic here!

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 29, 2004, 11:44 AM

I think it's the paradox that you take these messages and boards FAR (oops -- I mean "far") more seriously than you do.

Yeah, that's a paradox all right... How can I possibly take these messages more seriously than I do?

But seriously, part of my original message was perhaps an attempt to point out how you are being perceived by some people (well, one person, anyway). You really think this:

!!!!^!!OMG!!^!!!!

F0RG3T TEH T4X CU7S!!1!

SCR3W TEH H34L7H C4R3^!!

Maury
is a lighthearted post?

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2004, 11:48 AM

!!!!^!!OMG!!^!!!!

F0RG3T TEH T4X CU7S!!1!

SCR3W TEH H34L7H C4R3^!!

Maury
Tell me: are you conservative because you believe in certain values or are you conservative because you want to unconditionally hate a large group of people ("libbies") while finding acceptance in another group?

If the former, do you unconditionally agree with everything you think your party stands for?

Maybe you should realize that liberals and conservatives aren't polemically opposed. They also aren't homogeneous groups.

War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength. And hate is love, I guess.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2004, 11:49 AM

Yeah, that's a paradox all right... How can I possibly take these messages more seriously than I do?

But seriously, part of my original message was perhaps an attempt to point out how you are being perceived by some people (well, one person, anyway). You really think this:

is a lighthearted post? [/B]
Well yes! It's a general rule that anyone that t4lkz lik th!s is an idiot and an attention whore. So, in my poke of fun (heh), I typed like that to be an annoying arse.

Let's move on now, shall we?

Maury

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 29, 2004, 11:51 AM

Well yes! It's a general rule that anyone that t4lkz lik th!s is an idiot and an attention whore. So, in my poke of fun (heh), I typed like that to be an annoying arse.

I understand, and by extension you are calling the people discussing this issue idiots and attention whores, yes? That's what I'm saying.

Let's move on now, shall we?
Fine with me. I'm sick of the "Bush Buldge" anyway.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2004, 11:52 AM

Everyone seems to be getting a little irritableas Election Day closes in. Please. Step away from the keyboard.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2004, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by Stradlater:
Tell me: are you conservative because you believe in certain values or are you conservative because you want to unconditionally hate a large group of people ("libbies") while finding acceptance in another group?

If the former, do you unconditionally agree with everything you think your party stands for?

Maybe you should realize that liberals and conservatives aren't polemically opposed. They also aren't homogeneous groups.

War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength. And hate is love, I guess.
Man, you people -- whomever "you" are -- need to lighten up. Has this election made everyone's butt work buttonholes so much that no one can have fun and levity? But to answer your question, I'm a "conservative" because of my values. I have as many libbie friends as I do repubs, and we're all able to get along with one another like people that are all grown up should. And no, blah blah blah, I don't agree with everything "my party" stands for, so you don't get to use your "lemming" stamp on me.

Maury

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2004, 11:55 AM

I understand, and by extension you are calling the people discussing this issue idiots and attention whores, yes? That's what I'm saying.[/B]
Man, you read too much between the lines if you glean that from my statements. I AM calling people that are making a BIG issue of this an idiot, though.

Maury

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2004, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by Dakar:
Everyone seems to be getting a little irritableas Election Day closes in. Please. Step away from the keyboard.
Yeah... yesterday was my day of irritability. Today I'm good.

It's Friday, and I'm about to go eat sushi and have a beer or two.

PacHead
Baninated
Oct 29, 2004, 12:04 PM

Nasa scientist, hmmmm.....

Probably the same dude who was behind the challenger. . . . . . .

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2004, 12:18 PM

Originally posted by PacHead:
Nasa scientist, hmmmm.....

Probably the same dude who was behind the challenger. . . . . . .
Tasteful.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2004, 12:23 PM

Man, you people -- whomever "you" are -- need to lighten up. Has this election made everyone's butt work buttonholes so much that no one can have fun and levity? But to answer your question, I'm a "conservative" because of my values. I have as many libbie friends as I do repubs, and we're all able to get along with one another like people that are all grown up should. And no, blah blah blah, I don't agree with everything "my party" stands for, so you don't get to use your "lemming" stamp on me.

Maury
Sorry, but your posting habits--those that I've witnessed--you seem to make everything into a black&white partisan argument, attacking the party label instead of dissecting the argument.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2004, 01:06 PM

Sorry, but your posting habits--those that I've witnessed--you seem to make everything into a black&white partisan argument, attacking the party label instead of dissecting the argument.
Read more of my posts then, if you bored, and you'll learn otherwise. Of course, as of late -- and like I've already stated -- people are taking the "discussions" here WAAAAY too seriously and getting all bunched-up. So yeah, I have spent a lot of time making silly comments that some people my think are silly or funny. Why? because so many people here need to lighten up.

Oh well.

Put me on your ignore list if I bother you that much -- that's what it's there for.

Maury

boots
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2004, 01:39 PM

Man, you read too much between the lines if you glean that from my statements. I AM calling people that are making a BIG issue of this an idiot, though.

Maury
Ok, Maury, now you've gone too far. You've made a statement I agree with. Next thing you know, the four horsemen will come prancing down mainstreet....

If Heaven has a dress code, I'm walkin to Hell in my Tony Lamas.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2004, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by boots:
Ok, Maury, now you've gone too far. You've made a statement I agree with. Next thing you know, the four horsemen will come prancing down mainstreet....
D'oh!

boots
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2004, 01:53 PM

D'oh!

I need to start a "Partisan's Stay Out Thread: For those who hate both parties!"

I expect it would be a pretty quiet thread.

If Heaven has a dress code, I'm walkin to Hell in my Tony Lamas.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2004, 01:54 PM

Read more of my posts then, if you bored, and you'll learn otherwise. Of course, as of late -- and like I've already stated -- people are taking the "discussions" here WAAAAY too seriously and getting all bunched-up. So yeah, I have spent a lot of time making silly comments that some people my think are silly or funny. Why? because so many people here need to lighten up.

Oh well.

Put me on your ignore list if I bother you that much -- that's what it's there for.

Maury
"some people my think are silly"? I haven't seen one post of yours in the past that isn't as I previously described--of course, other than your lovely occasional picture-post--and I've seen a lot of your posts.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2004, 01:55 PM

I need to start a "Partisan's Stay Out Thread: For those who hate both parties!"

I'd consider joining.

deedar
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2004, 01:55 PM

...I typed like that to be an annoying arse.
Maury
You are no matter how you type...

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2004, 01:57 PM

"some people my think are silly"? I haven't seen one post of yours in the past that isn't as I previously described--of course, other than your lovely occasional picture-post--and I've seen a lot of your posts.
Oh well. Put me on your ignore list and your days will be filled with butterflies and cotton candy.

Maury

deedar
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2004, 02:00 PM

Oh well. Put me on your ignore list and your days will be filled with butterflies and cotton candy.

Maury
See what I mean?

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 29, 2004, 02:07 PM

I'll be there
Nemo me impune lacesset

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2004, 02:25 PM

Originally posted by deedar:
See what I mean?
How's that rude? I think it's quite polite, myself, but I'm not as touchy as most people. If I'm such a bother, such a thorn in his side, if he puts me on his ignore list, all that is horrible about me will be removed form his time at the MacNN forums. If he does that, his days will no longer be clouded by my insipid posts, rather, they will be full of goodness and light. Or butterflies and cotton candy -- whatever it is that makes him happy.

It's a feel good message.

Maury

Forum Links
Forum Rules