Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Best compatibility: HP or Epson?

Best compatibility: HP or Epson?
pregalla
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2005, 04:19 PM

Hi!

I have an "old" HP DeskJet 940c. For text and general things it works ok with the iMac.
But if I want to print photos at the top quality, I always get better results on the PC.
The driver on my Mac does not have all the options the driver on the PC has.
And the pictures have better quality when printed on the PC.

My father wants to buy an all-in-one HP PhotoSmart 3210.
On the HP site I could find XP drivers, but couldn't find a driver for OS X!

So, here's some questions:
1. Should he expect lower quality on photo printing?
2. How will the scanner work? Has OS X any software for it? How to do it?
3. Will he be better with an Epson?

He may be on the edge to switch.
I've been telling about OS X superiority, bla, bla, bla...
But if he can't have top quality printing...

Thanks for the advices and for your time!

Pedro
iMac G5 20" rev.b, 250GB, 2GB, apple wireless mouse and keyboard

CatOne
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2005, 04:31 PM

Epson's printers are BY far better with Macs. BY FAR. HPs drivers absolutely suck. SUCK SUCK SUCK!

OreoCookie
Nov 13, 2005, 04:31 PM

There is no problem with newer printers. Only printer which were built when OS X was `still young' (and that DJ 940 certainly qualifies for that), all newer printers have drivers which have -- in terms of printing quality -- equivalent drivers for OS X.

If you do a search, you can see that Canons are preferred to both, HP and Epson.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

volcano
Senior User
Nov 13, 2005, 05:38 PM

I have an HP PSC1610 All-In-One that I purchased along with my iBook in August. I've always hated HP printers - on my old Windows machine I was using a 932C model that would continually jam, and it loved to cycle sheets of paper when I didn't even have a printing job ready for it. Half the time it would print out chinese lettering, too. Granted - we're talking about a Windows machine here, but let's just say I would have steered clear of an HP printer had it not cost me $29 after the $100 rebate I received for it.

The PSC1610 is much improved in my book. It prints accurately, steadily, and speed-wise this thing is like a lightning bolt compared to the 932c it replaced (even in color). The scanner works great, and I love using the copy features on it. Even so, this SOB of a printer will STILL jam more so than I'd like - and it brings me back to the days when I used the 932c. Granted, all it takes is turning around the printer and opening up the back of it to release the sheet of paper - but regardless, this things jams on the most erratic premises. In fact, it will often feed itself a sheet of paper (without any abnormal activity or paper disturbance) and jam itself for no reason! But I can live with it. Why? Because it was 30 bucks.

The picture quality is awesome on it, by the way. I printed a few test photos with the photo-paper they included and I was blown away by the quality. Like the above poster stated, as long as its a newer printer, drivers are available that don't discriminate between XP & OS X.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2005, 05:55 PM

I prefer HP over Epson due to print head clogging, but HP charges a good whack for ink. Look at Canon, ConsumerReports rates them highly.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2005, 09:06 PM

HP's more reliable hardware. Epson, more reliable Drivers.

Get a Canon.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

pregalla  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2005, 10:52 PM

Wow!
I'm away for a moment, and when I look again I got lots of answers.
Thanks for your input, it has been helpful.
Please keep posting your opinions.

However, I'd like someone to answer the question n.2:
2. How will the scanner work? Has OS X any software for it? How to do it?

Is there any kind of software in OS X to make scannings and to change the scanning options, etc?
Is it included with the machine?

Thanks a lot again!

Pedro
iMac G5 20" rev.b, 250GB, 2GB, apple wireless mouse and keyboard

iMacfan
Senior User
Nov 14, 2005, 05:51 AM

The one problem with Canon: BAD fading.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 14, 2005, 03:12 PM

I have had no trouble with fading, even with a test print I deliberately set in a sunny window, unprotected, for many many months.

tooki

chefpastry
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2005, 12:50 AM

In the past, I've only used Epsons with my Macs. However, after having four Epsons die from clogged print heads, I decided to purchase an HP PSC 2610. It's been about two weeks and I haven't had any problems yet. It has a built-in ethernet port and all of my Macs can print to it or scan from it through the network. I haven't printed any pictures, but I have used it to copy a few pictures with very satisfactory results. Printing has been very quick and I haven't experienced any paper jams even though I have the optional duplex printing attachment installed. So far, I've been very happy.

To answer your questions:

1. Personally, I think that my previous Epson CX6400 printed pictures a bit better. However, I did not use the recommended photo ink with my HP.
2. The scanner works fine. Mac OS 9, OS X, and Windows drivers are included in the CD or can be downloaded from HP's website.
3. No, in my opinion, Epsons are not a good option for anyone due to the constantly clogged heads. I like knowing that when I need to print something I won't be confronted with a printer who can not print due to clogs. Even if you live next door to a place that sells printers and money is not an issue, the chore of having to install drivers and plug/unplug hardware is time wasted.

By the way, HP has recently started using fixed print heads on their newer printers just like Epson. It remains to be seen if clogged heads will become a problem for them, too. I'd recommend checking with a sales person before buying and sticking with a model that uses ink carts with heads built-in.

itguy05
Forum Regular
Nov 15, 2005, 12:47 PM

HP's have one of the highest cost per pages to print and AFAIK their drivers on Macs are not that great.

Not sure how the Canon AIO's drivers are - they are a new entry to the Mac AIO market. Previous Canons have had issues with fading (check over at Dpreview.com), but the new ChromaLife 100 inks supposedly have that fixed.

Epson's drivers are good as well and their printers are top notch photo printers. They seem to have the clogging issue addressed now. Clogging is heavily dependent on your environment and how often you print.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 15, 2005, 02:31 PM

I think the "Canon fades" thing is from old information. I seem to recall reading something that debunked it too-the fading was with third-party ink that didn't meet Canon standards, or something like that.

Anyway, everybody's inks are better today than they were last year; when it's time to get a new inkjet (when my DJ 830C gives up the ghost), I'm going with Canon.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

chefpastry
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2005, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by itguy05
HP's have one of the highest cost per pages to print and AFAIK their drivers on Macs are not that great.

Not sure how the Canon AIO's drivers are - they are a new entry to the Mac AIO market. Previous Canons have had issues with fading (check over at Dpreview.com), but the new ChromaLife 100 inks supposedly have that fixed.

Epson's drivers are good as well and their printers are top notch photo printers. They seem to have the clogging issue addressed now. Clogging is heavily dependent on your environment and how often you print.
I have not had any problems with the HP drivers. They work as advertised for me. However, I have heard of many horror stories regarding their Windows drivers.

My Epson CX5400 and CX6400 were fairly current models. Both still clogged.
Mac Pro 3.2x8 - 48GB - EVGA GTX 680 - Apple Remote - Dell 3007WFP-HC
MacBook 2GHz - C2D - 8GB - GF 9400M
Mac mini 2.33GHz C2D - 4GB - GMA950 - 2 Drobos - SS4200 (unRAID)
iPhone 5 + iPhone 4 S⃣

itguy05
Forum Regular
Nov 15, 2005, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
I think the "Canon fades" thing is from old information. I seem to recall reading something that debunked it too-the fading was with third-party ink that didn't meet Canon standards, or something like that.
Nope. Only genuine inks ever in my i960. Prints have faded after 6 months exposure in my office. Nothing old about it. Head over to www.wilhelm-research.com to read up on the subject.

jmgriff
Nov 16, 2005, 08:27 AM

I think the Epson drivers are better ... but I'd NEVER buy another Epson after the problems I've had with my C82. The printer clogs after a day of non-use and I've wasted the greatest part my latest cartridge set on cleaning. The inks are also quite overpriced. My next buy is an HP mono laser FWIW.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 16, 2005, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by itguy05
Nope. Only genuine inks ever in my i960. Prints have faded after 6 months exposure in my office. Nothing old about it. Head over to www.wilhelm-research.com to read up on the subject.
Interesting. What kind of paper have you been using? Paper makes a big difference, particularly with well-saturated colors. Inexpensive and lightweight papers tend to do poorly with any inks, while higher quality papers sometimes have chemical issues. I only use paper that is supposed to be used with inkjet printers, for any inkjet jobs that I want to keep. YMMV depending on the environment, too.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

triskele
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2005, 09:57 AM

All of the new AIO machines that have come out in tha past few months claim OSX compatability on the box, but as to actual performance I really have no idea. If you were looking at the HP 3210, check out also the Canon MP450 and the Epson X620. The print system for Canon AIO's has gone down to a two cartridge system but I haven't taken a look at price tag yet. And as has been noted you're only guaranteed to get fade resistant long lasting prints if you use the respective paper for your printer. Not the cheap stuff either.
20" iMac G5 2.1 GHz 250 GB 512MB

itguy05
Forum Regular
Nov 16, 2005, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Interesting. What kind of paper have you been using? Paper makes a big difference, particularly with well-saturated colors. Inexpensive and lightweight papers tend to do poorly with any inks, while higher quality papers sometimes have chemical issues. I only use paper that is supposed to be used with inkjet printers, for any inkjet jobs that I want to keep. YMMV depending on the environment, too.
Canon's Photo paper, Red River, Kirkland. All for inkjets, and all have begun to show signs of fading.

Head over to www.dpreview.com and go to the printers forum and search Canon Fade. You'll get a lot of info. Like Epson clogs, it mainly boils down to the environment the pics are used in.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Nov 17, 2005, 02:09 AM

I used to work for HP. Best printers in the world. I feel I can say this. I did tech Support for them, and often I'd talk to Customers who were happy with their printers, just had something happen. They last a while. I had people call in with 10 year old printers. (the old Deskwriter 550c...)

I think the largest benefit of an HP is that your print heads are replaced every time you swap your cartridge.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

OreoCookie
Nov 17, 2005, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by SirCastor
I think the largest benefit of an HP is that your print heads are replaced every time you swap your cartridge.
Not really. It makes cartridges more expensive and a well-constructed head lasts for as long as the printer. The larger HP inkjets have long-lasting print heads, too.

Larger HP printers are pretty good and also older inkjets (the HP DeskJet 510 lasted something like 5 years). Newer inkjets are not so great (my parents had a G85 all-in-one which failed after two and a half years and was replaced by HP 6110, I think): very expensive ink and the ink tanks seem to be shrinking (The G85 had more ink in its ink tanks.) Their larger laser printers are great, the consumables are not cheap, but very robust (we had to replace a LaserJet 4050 DTN after 411,000 pages, although it needed lots of repairs in the end, lasted seven years).

The Canon inkjet printers I worked with worked very reliably. My venerable S630 printed roughly 35,000 pages before dying on me. With one print head.

Maybe the newer Business Inkjet printers are better, but I don't think too highly of consumer-level HP inkjets.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules