Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > For B&W G3: Keep G3/450 or go with G4/400

For B&W G3: Keep G3/450 or go with G4/400
lothar56
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 17, 2005, 09:37 PM

I've got a B&W G3 and I'm trying to decided what processor to use. I've got the stock G3/450 that it came with, but I also have a Sonnet Encore G4/400 processor I could use. I've tried them both in there and benchmarking tests have come back mixed. It's my understanding that the only advantage the G4 has is the velocity engine which only helps with graphics stuff etc. This computer will be used mostly for internet, the most taxing thing will be iPhoto 5. Looking at the XBench scores, the G3/450 got a 12.4 and the G4/400 got a 13.93. The main difference I can see is the G3's L2 cache is 1MB @ 225 MHz while the G4's in only 200 MHz. This might explain Haxial's Benchmark results: the G3 scored a 101 and the G4 got a 93.9. The G4 won in all of the processors tests but the G3's memory tests were MUCH faster.
So which processor do I go with. And also, is there a way to overclock the G4 upgrade? I still have the jumpers at the 450MHz position and it somehow internally switched to 400MHz. If I could OC the upgrade to 450 I'd do that in a flash, because the G3 isn't stable when bumped up to 500. What do you think?

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2005, 02:43 PM

IIRC correctly, the Sonnet upgrades are NOT o/c able, but OWC's are.
I have an OWC G4/550 running in my B&W @650mhz for almost 3 years now notta problemo, although ymmv

But as you said, if you're NOT running Altivec-aware apps like Photoshop or such, then a higher speed G3 will do just as well clock for clock as a G4, and most of the G3 upgrades have bigger L2 caches, but some G4 cards also have L3 cache too, which makes them even faster.....
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

DrBoar
Senior User
Dec 18, 2005, 03:02 PM

Is that one of the Sonnet G4s that force the bus to run at 66 MHz?

lothar56  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 18, 2005, 03:11 PM

Here's a link to the card.
I think I will stick with the G3 and use the G4 card for one of my (5) Beige G3's. If anyone else thinks the G4 would be better for the B&W, speak now or forever hold your peace...

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 18, 2005, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by DrBoar
Is that one of the Sonnet G4s that force the bus to run at 66 MHz?
Nope.

Only the 745x G4 upgrades throttle the bus.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Hash
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2005, 05:01 PM

Powerlogix 1.1 Ghz G3 seems to be nice

lothar56  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 18, 2005, 06:23 PM

Sorry, but I'm not going to spend any more money on this computer. I bought it for my GF to replace her PII/450. It literally blows that thing away. I just upgraded it to 640MB of RAM and I put Tiger on it, she absolutely loved it before, and it's even better now. I'm just trying to decide what to do with what I have now.

Classa30
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2005, 10:48 PM

I'd stick with the G3. I am running a G4 800 from them, it's noticeably faster, but all of the upgrades they make for the B&W's slow the bus speed down to 66mhz. Not only are you losing your processor speed, but the bus is slowed down ~30%. Only for altivec would it be worth it to any degree.

Forum Links
Forum Rules