Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > NOW is the time to check the refurb store

NOW is the time to check the refurb store
Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2008, 04:33 AM

Just a little heads up here about the refurb store. Some people haven't been entirely happy with the latest MB(P) updates. And due to the current economic situation others might be shopping on a tight budget. In that case you should really check out Apple's refurb store.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/
(exchange us for your country [ca, uk, de, fr, ...] to get refurbs in your country)

For the price of a high-end MB ($1499) you can get a
• 2.5 GHz MBP, 15" (glossy or matte), 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 8xSD, 8600M/512MB (previous generation high-end model)

For the price of a mid-range MB ($1299) you can get a
• 2.4 GHz MBP (4 MB L2 cache here), 15" (glossy or matte), 2 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, 8xSD, 8600M/256MB (before previous generation high-end model)
And $50 more will get you a
• 2.4 GHz MBP, 15" (glossy or matte), 2 GB RAM, 200 GB HDD, 8xSD, 8600M/256MB (previous generation low-end model)

For the price of a low-end MB ($999) you can get a
• 2.4 GHz MB (white), 13" (glossy), 1 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, 8xSD (previous generation mid-range model)
And $100 more gets you
• 2.4 GHz MB (black), 13" (glossy), 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 8xSD (previous generation high-end model)

For $50 more than the price of a mid-range MB ($1349) you can get a
• 1.6 GHz MBA, 13" (glossy), 2 GB RAM, 80 GB HDD (previous generation low-end model)
Add $150 for 1.8 GHz.
For the price of a low-end MBA ($1799) you can get a
• 1.8 GHz MBA, 13" (glossy), 2 GB RAM, 64 GB SSD (previous generation high-end model)

There are really a couple of nice deals right now. Catch 'em while you can.

audvidsvs
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2008, 03:17 PM

They have been running these same deals since the new one came out.

What I am waiting t see is how much discount the Refurbed new models will get?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2008, 05:24 PM

Note the previous generation MBP supports 6GB (maybe 8?) and 4GB DDR2 is half the price of DDR3.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2008, 05:31 PM

Supplies seem pretty good. I have seen some of the best deals around for days w/o interruption. But I wouldn't count on it to last forever.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2008, 10:03 AM

Yep. As of now my favorite deal the $1499 2.5GHz 15" MBP has sold out. We'll have to wait and see if they restock.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2008, 11:37 AM

i was sooo anxious for the notebook update this year and held off buying a computer for 3 months because i knew they were going to change the looks of these things. then they released em, i was wowed for about 10 min till the fw and screen issues came to light. went right to the refurb store to pick up the computer simon is mentioning (2.5) only to no longer see it in the store...quickly picked up the 2.4 instead (couldn't play the waiting game incase the 2.4's sold out too). i really wish i got the 2.5...best bang for your buck imho.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

molala
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 16, 2008, 04:33 PM

i got the previous generation black MacBook from the UK store. they've now sold out, i haven't seen the deal for a week.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 17, 2008, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by molala View Post
i got the previous generation black MacBook from the UK store. they've now sold out, i haven't seen the deal for a week.
Interesting. The US store still has it for $1099.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Nov 17, 2008, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Interesting. The US store still has it for $1099.
Makes sense, the US inventory either had more units, or is not selling as fast as the UK store. I suspect its the former rather then the latter but I have no idea.
~Mike

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2008, 03:33 AM

The 2.5 GHz high-end 15" ("Early 2008") MBP is back in stock. $1499 in the US, £949 in the UK.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2008, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by molala View Post
It's back again now for £699.

It's available in the US store too for $1099.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2008, 05:59 AM

I was pointing a guy from Germany to the German refurb store when I noticed huge refurb price differences. In the US refurb store you can get a 2.5 GHz MBP for $1499.
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...ac/macbook_pro

The same MBP in the German refurb store is being sold for €1829!
http://store.apple.com/de/browse/hom...ac/macbook_pro

€1829 corresponds to $2285. Now before somebody points out that the German price includes VAT (which means it's still €1524 / $1904 before tax) consider this. In the US refurb store that $1499 refurb MBP costs as much as the high-end MB. In the German Apple store the high-end MB costs €1499 (comes pretty close to $1499 + German VAT). So how the heck would that refurb 2.5 GHz MBP cost €330 more than it should?

Are such huge price discrepancies common between international refurb stores?

Forum Links
Forum Rules