Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > A solution for USB users for importing

A solution for USB users for importing
jcraddock
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2008, 04:53 PM

I have just spent hours trying to figure out why my MAC could read the still photos from my camera (they are jpeg) but not the video clips which are mod. I was told I needed to buy a new camera, or download tons of conversion software.
Alas, I called apple and they walked me through a few steps and voila! I now have video clips in Imovie.

Here is what you should try.
First you need to go to www.squared5.com and download the mac version, it will be saved under your Finder.

Then I had to go to apple and buy the MPEG2 converter, it will save to your Finder and then you must install it, your computer will restart.

Then when you have your camera connected to your computer you should have a file on your desktop with your videos (SD-video or files with extension mod).

You go to Streamline - go to file, open the file, then it will bring up the streamline screen again with the video clip, then click on file again and click on MAKE MP4 (making sure the compression is always H.264), then save your video as whatever name you want to call it and save in on the Desktop for easy conversion to IMovie!

BTW I have a Panasonic SDR-S7 and actually bought another camera because nobody seemed to know what they were doing.

Calling Applesupport really saved me, as I love the camera and I was going to have to sacrifice quality just to use IMovie!

Hope this helps!
Joyce

ibook_steve
Dec 28, 2008, 03:30 AM

This had nothing to do with the thread it was in in notebooks, so I've created a new thread here.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Forum Links
Forum Rules