Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I believe I have a BIG problem...

I believe I have a BIG problem...
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 11, 2006, 06:49 PM

Since my first NES in 1986, I've owned many games systems (at least it feels like I have). My wife is nearly sick of my "habit," which I'll detail in just a moment. I haven't lost a lot of money due to this problem, but I have come away feeling embarrassed on more than one occasion.

I have bought/traded/sold so many consoles throughout the years, and because of my limited budget, I haven't really been able to own two at a time. I always have to trade or sell one in order to get another. These are the consoles that I've owned, along with the number that I've owned to the left.

2 NES
2 SNES
2 Genesis
1 Dreamcast
2 PS1
2 N64
3 PS2
1 Game Gear
1 Game Boy
1 Gamecube
3 XBox
1 XBox 360
2 GBA
3 DS
1 PSP

I've been content with my 360, but the imminent release of the Wii has got me itching to put the 360 on eBay and give the Wii a go (if the reviews are overwhelmingly positive).

Am I sick?

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2006, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Since my first NES in 1986, I've owned many games systems (at least it feels like I have). My wife is nearly sick of my "habit," which I'll detail in just a moment. I haven't lost a lot of money due to this problem, but I have come away feeling embarrassed on more than one occasion.

I have bought/traded/sold so many consoles throughout the years, and because of my limited budget, I haven't really been able to own two at a time. I always have to trade or sell one in order to get another. These are the consoles that I've owned, along with the number that I've owned to the left.

2 NES
2 SNES
2 Genesis
1 Dreamcast
2 PS1
2 N64
3 PS2
1 Game Gear
1 Game Boy
1 Gamecube
3 XBox
1 XBox 360
2 GBA
3 DS
1 PSP

I've been content with my 360, but the imminent release of the Wii has got me itching to put the 360 on eBay and give the Wii a go (if the reviews are overwhelmingly positive).

Am I sick?
It seems like you would have discovered emulators by now. It is illegal to have a ROM of a piece of software you haven't already bought as far as I know, but it makes it alot cheaper when it comes to older/portable hardware.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 11, 2006, 07:15 PM

Oh, I've discovered emulators, but my problem isn't with older consoles. It's always the latest thing that I want; then if it disappoints at all, I want the old one back. It's a cycle I'm having trouble breaking.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 11, 2006, 08:18 PM

First of all, what systems do you have now?

Secondly, why would you have to sell your 360 to get a Wii? I would either get both or, if money is tight, just keep the 360. Even I, as a fan of Nintendo, would not choose the Wii over the 360 as my only game system.

PowerPc = Pwnage
Forum Regular
Nov 11, 2006, 08:20 PM

Well icruise, that is just your opinion.

"Oh! You smell good, what is that? Macintosh."-http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/03/03

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 11, 2006, 08:22 PM

Did I ever say that I was more than my opinion?

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2006, 08:22 PM

Betty Ford Clinic.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2006, 08:23 PM

My wife
Perfectly good "play station" right there, Jaw.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2006, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Depends on if she lets you press her buttons or not.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2006, 11:22 PM

Obsessive, yes.

Can I try to diagnose you out of DSM-IV-TR? Probably not...

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Salty
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2006, 12:37 AM

Just log it as a Church expense.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2006, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Is that what they teach at Bible College ?

-t

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2006, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by PowerPc = Pwnage View Post
Well icruise, that is just your opinion.
No he speaks for everyone!

Anywho, I think you would be nuts to sell your 360 for any other system. It is the most mature next gen system with the most and best games. The others are unproven.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2006, 02:45 AM

Okay, one at a time...

Originally Posted by Doofy

If she knew I responded well to that quip, she'd kill me (extreme dislike for my gaming habits, although they're more limited than she realizes).

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ
Depends on if she lets you press her buttons or not.
See above.

Originally Posted by Salty
If only...

Maybe I can get a Wii for the youth group, play it in the youth room on the 150 inch projection screen, and sneak it home a time or two on week nights.

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
Anywho, I think you would be nuts to sell your 360 for any other system. It is the most mature next gen system with the most and best games. The others are unproven.
As sad as it is, I've grown tired of every 360 game I've had so far (I forgot to mention that I trade/sell/buy games MUCH more than the systems themselves) within a week or so.
Tiger Woods 07 - Maxed out the stats and become very, very bored.
FIFA 07 - Not as impressed as I hoped I would be, considering that soccer/"football" is my main sport.
Call of Duty 2 - Nice, but not spectacular. Didn't even finish and I traded it.
NCAA Football 07 - Nothing that blew my socks off. Traded in.

As sad as it is, I've played Halo 2 on my 360 more than I have the others combined. I still haven't played Gears of War yet, but I'm hoping to hop on the bandwagon very quickly.

Originally Posted by icruise
First of all, what systems do you have now?

Secondly, why would you have to sell your 360 to get a Wii? I would either get both or, if money is tight, just keep the 360. Even I, as a fan of Nintendo, would not choose the Wii over the 360 as my only game system.
As you guessed, money is tight. And I do NOT put stuff on credit cards. I'm spending my early 20's trying to make sure that I don't get into the enormous debt that many people my age seem to be sucked into.

In all honesty, I might be simply buying into the hype, considering that it's so close. The Virtual Console is a big part of what's sucking me in, to be honest - in addition to Zelda, Trauma Center, Excite Truck, Madden 07 (the new controls would mean a lot more to me than the 360's graphics...I wasn't a fan of the 360 Madden), Super Mario Galaxy, and some others.

I have been mildly impressed with the 360's graphics, but I'm feeling a bit disillusioned. With each game system the graphics get better, but I'm becoming less enthusiastic about each aesthetic upgrade. I feel a little bit cheated for some reason, especially when playing games like Tiger Woods that is mostly just the same game with pretty graphics...and it's supposedly second-gen?

Then again, that could be the Wii-hype speaking. Maybe a week of thinkings things over will help.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2006, 02:48 AM

Jawbone54 do you have an HDTV?

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2006, 03:08 AM

Getting an HDTV sometime in December or early January. That's part of the reason I couldn't afford both. Also another reason I'd be so hesitant to give up the 360.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2006, 01:53 AM

Jawbone, it sounds like you've lost the ability to maintain your gaming erection. Its okay. It happens to lots of guys our age.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 14, 2006, 02:57 AM

Whew.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2006, 09:15 AM

You need to trade the wife in for a newer model that enjoys gaming.

I'm really surprised no one before me suggested this.

Y3a
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2006, 09:30 AM

Get a REAL life.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2006, 09:32 AM

Old people bitching about video games = surprise

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2006, 09:52 AM

I have been mildly impressed with the 360's graphics, but I'm feeling a bit disillusioned. With each game system the graphics get better, but I'm becoming less enthusiastic about each aesthetic upgrade. I feel a little bit cheated for some reason, especially when playing games like Tiger Woods that is mostly just the same game with pretty graphics...and it's supposedly second-gen?
It does sound like you're ready for something different and fun, which is what Nintendo is advertising the Wii as.

Personally, I would have nothing to do with anything Microsoft, so my opinion in relations to the XBox would undoubtedly be bias (though for good reasons). However, why can't you get a Wii and try it out for a while and then decide whether you want to throw out your XBox or not?

I'm actually in a similar situation, though realistic playing time is my concern. I have only a Dreamcast (perhaps I'm one of these so-called "casual gamers"?), but I mainly play only about two games on it at this point, with a dab of a handful of others when I get adventurous. So, if I get a Wii, realistically, I don't see myself dedicating enough time to my Dreamcast, so I decided to sell it (though that hasn't gone over well, considering how undervalued the system and its games are now).

Furthermore, I don't see how you'd get yourself in much more debt by getting a Wii. The Wii will cost you about $400 with an extra set of controllers (including two Classic controllers) and a $50 game. From then on, you could just divide the game spending money between your Wii and your XBox. Of course, I recommend you ditch the XBox and live a healthier, cleaner life, anyway, but that's just my view.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2006, 11:40 AM

That is because you don't have an HDTV. You can't see that big of a difference on a standard TV.
Once you put it on a widescreen HDTV you will feel like you just jumped ahead 10 years.

So far i have been very impressed with the 360. The extra horsepower isn't used for just graphics. In gears of war the AI is the best I have ever seen in a game. The baddies don't do what you expect them to do and they don't run into a steam of your bullets following a set path. They alternate from hiding behind something, to standing up to shoot, crouching around the corner and flanking you. Just about every other FPS they are no where near as intelligent.

Some games like tiger woods is just better graphics yes. That is the fault of the developer. To be honest it is Golf, what else do you do to make it new? The wii has motion control but people say it isn't terribly exciting or accurate plus the graphics are cartoonish. So you can decide which is more important to you.

As I mentioned before survival horror games almost never scare me as I know it is a game. With Condemned on the 360 it looks and sounds so real I really felt there and was totally scared 100% though the whole game. I am not going to complain about things that look and sound so real I feel like I am in the game.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 14, 2006, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Y3a View Post
Get a REAL life.
I work 60 hours a week too. I have a real life. Gaming only takes up about one or two nights a week, but that's "my time."
( Last edited by Jawbone54; Nov 14, 2006 at 12:24 PM. )

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 14, 2006, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
That is because you don't have an HDTV. You can't see that big of a difference on a standard TV.
Once you put it on a widescreen HDTV you will feel like you just jumped ahead 10 years.

So far i have been very impressed with the 360. The extra horsepower isn't used for just graphics. In gears of war the AI is the best I have ever seen in a game. The baddies don't do what you expect them to do and they don't run into a steam of your bullets following a set path. They alternate from hiding behind something, to standing up to shoot, crouching around the corner and flanking you. Just about every other FPS they are no where near as intelligent.

Some games like tiger woods is just better graphics yes. That is the fault of the developer. To be honest it is Golf, what else do you do to make it new? The wii has motion control but people say it isn't terribly exciting or accurate plus the graphics are cartoonish. So you can decide which is more important to you.

As I mentioned before survival horror games almost never scare me as I know it is a game. With Condemned on the 360 it looks and sounds so real I really felt there and was totally scared 100% though the whole game. I am not going to complain about things that look and sound so real I feel like I am in the game.
I've played about 4 games on an HDTV already. My parents have a 43" HDTV, so if we go eat at their house or have any kind of a family gathering, I bring my 360. I'm not denying that it looks FABULOUS. I'm just saying that I feel less gratified by every jump in graphical beauty.

You make a good point about the AI in Gears of War. It's a true challenge, and I enjoyed it last night. That being said, I'm still disappointed with every other game that I've played on the 360 thus far. I even hated Madden on it, and I can't figure out why.

I dunno. I'm not chunking it anytime soon, but I have mixed feelings.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2006, 12:26 PM

I'm not denying that it looks FABULOUS.
You can practically hear the lisp.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 14, 2006, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Gabriel Morales View Post
Furthermore, I don't see how you'd get yourself in much more debt by getting a Wii. The Wii will cost you about $400 with an extra set of controllers (including two Classic controllers) and a $50 game. From then on, you could just divide the game spending money between your Wii and your XBox. Of course, I recommend you ditch the XBox and live a healthier, cleaner life, anyway, but that's just my view.
I would get myself into more debt because the only debt my wife and I have right now are her student loans (not counting the house and her car). We've been very cautious with credit cards and other decisions. We only buy when we can pay in cash. As it stands, I couldn't afford to just throw out $400. That's what I mean.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 14, 2006, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar� View Post
You can practically hear the lisp.
No lisp. Southern drawl.

I've been watching too many Bruno clips, so the word has sneaked its way into my vernacular.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2006, 12:29 PM

No lisp. Southern drawl.

I've been watching too many Bruno clips, so the word has sneaked its way into my vernacular.
Never heard a southerner say FABULOUS. You'll understand my confusion.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2006, 12:39 PM

I'm still disappointed with every other game that I've played on the 360 thus far.
What games do you have?

Everyone hates madden on every system but they keep making them as they sell.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2006, 12:45 PM

I would get myself into more debt because the only debt my wife and I have right now are her student loans (not counting the house and her car). We've been very cautious with credit cards and other decisions. We only buy when we can pay in cash. As it stands, I couldn't afford to just throw out $400. That's what I mean.
Frankly, when I read your thread title, I thought it was something more serious, non-game related. I can see your dilemma, but I really wouldn't classify it as a "BIG" problem in the least. Either save up for the Wii and get it when you can and then you can have both or sell your XBox and get the Wii. There's also no reason why you need to get a Wii right away. You can hold off 'till you've got the money or wait and see before you sell your Wii.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 14, 2006, 12:55 PM

Gears of War
Call of Duty 2
Tiger Woods '07 (sold yesterday)
FIFA '07 (also sold)
NCAA Football '07

Have played
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Madden '07
Project Gotham Racing 3
NBA2K7
LEGO Star Wars II
Fight Night Round 3
Amped 3
Just Cause
Dead Rising

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 14, 2006, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Gabriel Morales View Post
Frankly, when I read your thread title, I thought it was something more serious, non-game related. I can see your dilemma, but I really wouldn't classify it as a "BIG" problem in the least. Either save up for the Wii and get it when you can and then you can have both or sell your XBox and get the Wii. There's also no reason why you need to get a Wii right away. You can hold off 'till you've got the money or wait and see before you sell your Wii.
Got you to look at the thread, didn't it? No, it's not a big problem; not by any stretch of the imagination. I do need to develop some patience though.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2006, 01:03 PM

Got you to look at the thread, didn't it?
Yep, you did. Just so happens I was actually interested in the real topic matter as well.

No, it's not a big problem; not by any stretch of the imagination. I do need to develop some patience though.
It's the key.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2006, 01:30 PM

Jawbone54 check out Condemned and Pray. Condemned is awesome and Prey is pretty fun also.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 14, 2006, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
Jawbone54 check out Condemned and Pray. Condemned is awesome and Prey is pretty fun also.
Anything besides shooters?

I have heard really good things about Condemned though - especially the sound.

Salty
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2006, 02:44 PM

I work 60 hours a week too. I have a real life. Gaming only takes up about one or two nights a week, but that's "my time."
Dude you're working 60 a week? OK I understand pastoral work is a full time and a half job but seriously. The pastoral staff at my old Church used to tell each other to go home if they were doing more than 52 hours in the week. Is your church honestly expecting you to be doing this or is it your choice? I really hope you don't burn out. Actually hmmm hey do you use any IM clients?
If you do you should IM me on AIM at ClayShaker Salty.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2006, 02:46 PM

Errr... did he say it was only pastoral work he was doing for 60 hours a week?

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 14, 2006, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Dude you're working 60 a week? OK I understand pastoral work is a full time and a half job but seriously. The pastoral staff at my old Church used to tell each other to go home if they were doing more than 52 hours in the week. Is your church honestly expecting you to be doing this or is it your choice? I really hope you don't burn out. Actually hmmm hey do you use any IM clients?
If you do you should IM me on AIM at ClayShaker Salty.
I figured someone might ask. We have a fairly large church (600+). I am the youth pastor, which takes up abou 60% of my time, but I also do a lot more. I'm one of two media guys who works with the screens, videos, and other things. I do a lot of random things, sort of as a pastor's assistant. The youth services every week take a ton of preparation time as well. We minister to about 80 6-12 grade students, which is a decent amount.

The biggest thing that people fail to realize about church work is that it does not end when we leave the church office. The pastor, for instance, is constantly visiting people in the hospitals. I've lost count of how many times our family time was interrupted because someone demanded the pastor be there for them because (fill in the blank) happened. There have been times that my dad explained to them that the situation wasn't a huge deal, but only about 50% of the time. My office hours vary, but there is ALWAYS something going on at nights. Thursday nights are pretty much the only evenings that we have free.

During the summers I do some work for the Louisiana district as well. I worked some weeks from 8 a.m. until 1:30 a.m. during the camps. We have three youth camps and one family camp. So scratch summers from the list, because they're more hectic that our regular schedule.

To make a long story short: church work isn't the lazy, carefree work that people interpret it to be, especially not in a larger church. There's one guy who comes by the office from time to time and says something like, "Well, I'd better be going. I'm one of those types that has a real job." It aggravates me so bad.

Little venting.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2006, 02:59 PM

So you get paid for this?

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 14, 2006, 03:01 PM

So you get paid for this?
Ha...yeah. Nothing spectacular, but I knew that when I chose this life.

Plus I take 9 hours of college. Have about 3 semesters left to go.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2006, 03:04 PM

Ha...yeah. Nothing spectacular, but I knew that when I chose this life.
Don't ask me why, but I was always under the impression (well, assumption) the people who did work at my Catholic church were volunteers...

Doing it for the love of God or something.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2006, 03:11 PM

Anything besides shooters?

I have heard really good things about Condemned though - especially the sound.
Condemned isn't a shooter, you hardly get a gun in it and no reloads.

Also give Kameo a shot, it was a fun ride.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2006, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
God logs your work hours and those with the highest numbers get extra brownie points when trying to get into heaven.

Duh.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 14, 2006, 03:30 PM

Don't ask me why, but I was always under the impression (well, assumption) the people who did work at my Catholic church were volunteers...

It's a full-time job. And considering how much I get paid, it's as much of a sacrifice as being a volunteer. I'll never be wealthy, and the only rewards in this current life that I'll see is the positive effect on people that our ministry has. If I was simply a volunteer, I'd be able to put maybe 1/5 of the time that I do into the church.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2006, 03:36 PM

It's a full-time job. And considering how much I get paid, it's as much of a sacrifice as being a volunteer. I'll never be wealthy, and the only rewards in this current life that I'll see is the positive effect on people that our ministry has. If I was simply a volunteer, I'd be able to put maybe 1/5 of the time that I do into the church.
Personally, you getting a wage for doing stuff around there makes it seem sane. Unfortunately, putting in 60 hours a week seems to cancel it back out.

I'd continue, but its a massive derail as it is, and no need to get too personal (we'll pretend I haven't already).

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2006, 03:57 PM

Plus I take 9 hours of college. Have about 3 semesters left to go.
Is that in addition to the 60 hrs, or included ?

I'm working 60 hrs. (private industry) and working on my masters degree (distance ed.). I'm pretty much maxed out with that.

-t

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 14, 2006, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
Personally, you getting a wage for doing stuff around there makes it seem sane. Unfortunately, putting in 60 hours a week seems to cancel it back out.

I'd continue, but its a massive derail as it is, and no need to get too personal (we'll pretend I haven't already).
It all depends on the level of priority that people assign to spirituality and God. To me, the most important things that I've done in this world are those times in which God used me to play some part, however small it might have been, in changing a student's life for the better.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2006, 04:14 PM

I have a similar problem. Except I buy all these new gadgets, play them a few times, then they sit and collect dust. I have a PS2 I may have played 15 times, and a PSP I've maybe played 5 times, a Stereo I never play, a Digital Camera I never use. I'm just addicted to technology I guess.

Truthfully all I need is a computer and an iPod (Which I fear may be left behind by my new walkman cell phone). And with emulators available for most platforms, that's all you really need

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 14, 2006, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by what_the_heck View Post
Is that in addition to the 60 hrs, or included ?

I'm working 60 hrs. (private industry) and working on my masters degree (distance ed.). I'm pretty much maxed out with that.

-t
In addition. I have no time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules