Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > CC Usage and Your Job

CC Usage and Your Job
mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Dec 11, 2006, 04:02 PM

Our company doesn't have a "corporate card" and asks that we use our own CCs and submit for repayment.

At what $$$ is too much?

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2006, 04:07 PM

$1 is too much. If there is a need for you to purchase anything work related, then the company should make sure they provide you the means to do so.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2006, 04:11 PM

Yeah, if they don't want to get a company credit card, they should be able to supply you with cash or a company check or something like that before you have to buy something.

"I start fires!"

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 11, 2006, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by KarlG View Post
$1 is too much. If there is a need for you to purchase anything work related, then the company should make sure they provide you the means to do so.
Yup, absolutely. We’ve got about 30 company CCs, and they’re quite frequently used. No one would ever even consider asking people to use their own CCs.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2006, 04:19 PM

I don't mind using my own card so I can get frequent flyer miles, but... I'd probably draw the line at $500.

nbnz
Senior User
Dec 11, 2006, 04:21 PM

It's very different in the UK in my experience. Over here companies expect employees to pay up front and claim back expenses, unless you are a senior manager. I got a seperate personal card just for that purpose.
iMac, Intel Core-Duo 2GHz, 2GB, 250GB, OS X 10.4
PowerBook 12", 867MHz, 640MB, 60GB, OS X 10.4
iMac G3, 333MHz, 288MB, 6GB, OS X 10.3
iPods: 3G iPod, 1G mini, 1G shuffle, 2G nano

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 11, 2006, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by nbnz View Post
It's very different in the UK in my experience. Over here companies expect employees to pay up front and claim back expenses, unless you are a senior manager. I got a seperate personal card just for that purpose.
Depends on what you’re buying, though, doesn’t it? If you’re going to a business lunch over here, you’ll generally pay your own food and drinks, and then be reimbursed later on, as well. But if your job requires that you buy or pay for things with credit cards (as part of the job), you’d never be asked to use your own.

In my case, the credit card usage is mostly for paying hospital, hotel, or garage bills in cases when GOPs aren’t accepted and immediate payment is required.

andi*pandi
Dec 11, 2006, 04:47 PM

you have to be a manager or a high-muckymuck to have a company card. If I get to travel for work, I pay my way and expense it later. Airline tickets are the exception, those are booked and paid for by the company. I think $500 is about right for the max.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2006, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
you have to be a manager or a high-muckymuck to have a company card.
That's not true.

Some companies are quite generous. In my company, everyone who travels frequently (a couple of times a year) gets a company travel CC. The bills are only paid once you submit your travel reconiliation. If you don't do that, you card will cut off after 60 days overdue. After 90 days overdue, they might mess with your personal credit rating, so you have an incentive to keep it current.

IMO, that's a good system.

-t

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2006, 05:02 PM

In my last job in the UK I was expected to have my own American Express card. All expenses had to go through that AMEX card whenever possible. We got reimbursed monthly, and always before the bill had to be paid.

I was spending a lot of money on that AMEX - flights, hotels, dinners, taxis etc - and within a couple of months I was holding a Platinum card and earning serious points, all of which were mine to keep. The Platinum card was good to have for insurance purposes and little luxuries like the AMEX concierge service. It was also great for the credit rating.

When I left the job I cancelled the card because I couldn't justify the cost, but while I used it it got me some nice benefits.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2006, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by itai195 View Post
I don't mind using my own card so I can get frequent flyer miles, but... I'd probably draw the line at $500.
Well, I have a company CC, but I would prefer to take my personal credit card (which is NOT an option in the company I work for). Gosh, all the extra miles I'd earn. It'll probably be at least one free flight each year.

-t

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2006, 05:06 PM

That's one of the benefits of working for yourself. I now have a company CC, but as I own the company the points are still mine.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 11, 2006, 05:28 PM

No good on using your own CC. Sometimes they take too long to repay, which is what always irritated me at my old job. I would get a check two weeks later. Luckily at my current job, we are always given access to the office CC anytime we have a legitimate work-related need.

mitchell_pgh  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 11, 2006, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
No good on using your own CC. Sometimes they take too long to repay, which is what always irritated me at my old job. I would get a check two weeks later. Luckily at my current job, we are always given access to the office CC anytime we have a legitimate work-related need.
My company will pay you back the next Mon/Wed/Fri.

It's not an awful deal, but it gets annoying.

Ham Sandwich
Dec 12, 2006, 08:29 AM

I was actually threatened with termination if I didn't have a credit card.

****-tards.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2006, 09:09 AM

I work for a lab at my university and while I've been in labs where they did have a lab/departmental CC, here at BU that isn't done at all. So, if we need something from Amazon or another vendor that doesn't take POs, or only takes them under duress, we'll use personal CCs. Not really a big problem for me - admittedly, I'll beat on the office if they slack off, but they'll do the same to me.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2006, 01:22 PM

I'd use my card as much as I could, since I get rewards.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2006, 02:21 PM

We expense most everything, up to whatever amount needed. I get my check cut when i go turn in the receipt. Of course, we own the company, so no one gives us any guff. Other employees get expense checks the Friday of the week they turned-in the expense report.

Gas and such is all paid via a company card, but not other items like the hardware I buy, etc.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Forum Links
Forum Rules