Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Curious ... personal websites?

Curious ... personal websites?
zipperzap
Forum Regular
Dec 23, 2007, 12:39 PM

I'm wondering if anyone here has any pointers about putting a personal website together - not a business site - a family site. Any fairly painless way to do it without spending an arm and a leg?

Thanks.
Scott

Warren Pease
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 23, 2007, 12:49 PM

There are tons of ways to go about doing this. I think you need to clarify what you want to have on your site, or what you want it to convey to a visitor.

If, for instance, you just want photos, a Flickr site may be what you want, and it's free. If you want more, there may be another (pre-built) option or you may want to code your own.

If you need hosting, you could buy some space on a server, but depending on how you connect to the internet, you may already have some webspace with your provider that you wouldn't have to pay extra for.

tripletaker
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 23, 2007, 01:30 PM

If you have iWeb, it's not too hard. Or you can try learning HTML, it's not too hard. Google HTML tutorial.

dustrho
Forum Regular
Dec 23, 2007, 02:05 PM

First thing you need to figure out is if you want to host your site for free somewhere (e.g. Tripod, .Mac, etc) or if you want to pay for hosting services. I would suggest the latter of the two. Then you just have to find the software to use for building the pages. Since I'm so new to the Mac OS world, I'm not sure what to suggest for you.

Chris Rhoads / Forum Admin & Webmaster of Sandtroopers.com

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2007, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by dustrho View Post
host your site for free somewhere (e.g. Tripod, .Mac, etc)
.Mac is certainly not free, but imho, it's an excellent value for the money.

iWeb/.Mac is the way to go for a simple family website.

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2007, 03:11 AM

its gonna cost you about 5-10 dollars a month. You dont need to know html just get a composer or whatever they're called. I'm sure theres free ones out there. If its a family site you probably wont have much traffic so it wont matter how good of service your hosting company provides; you can just go with any hosting company. I use serverpoint....but not sure how good they are yet.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 24, 2007, 03:13 AM

iWeb is pretty cool, I would suggest trying it.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2007, 06:02 PM

Also look into a blog. Blogger isn't too bad. Lots of people use it. I'm pretty sure it supports multiple authors, and lets you post photos on there too.

alligator
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2007, 03:53 PM

I use iWeb an set up a domain name through Dreamhost. It works very well and is entertaining to create. I'm getting more hits because of links from this forum than I expected.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2007, 05:23 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules