Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Printing to a non Postscript laser printer

Printing to a non Postscript laser printer
imdipped
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2008, 05:53 PM

I don’t have System X yet, but I just found out that you can save a document in Postscript. Can you send a document to be printed to a non Postscript laser printer (one that has PCL6) and it will print in Postscript glory?

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2008, 11:05 PM

You need to give more details.

Which computer, which OS, and which printer (make, model, connectors, apple talk?).

imdipped  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2008, 01:57 PM

I have a PowerMac G4 400 with OS 9.2.2 installed. Though it does everything I need it to do for my (I’m 72) modest home document and basic graphics use ( I only use Apple’s True Type fonts that came with my OS). I don’t do photos. Actually, I probably don’t print more than two or three pages a day.

The fact that OS 9 won’t support a modern browser is causing increased frustration when I browse the web. It can’t handle Flash well at all. I don’t want a large relatively noisy computer tying me down anymore and my wife wants a notebook computer so she can give presentations so I will decide what notebook to buy after the Macworld Keynote.

I’m really a novice at all this and I’m probably letting my imagination run wild, but I like quality equipment. My concern is over the new notebook with hopefully OS 10.5.2 and what kind of laser printer to get. Do I need a Postscript printer or will a non Postscript printer suffice? I’ve never had a laser printer before. The only printer I have is an Epson stylus color 740 inkjet printer that I bought in 1999. I don’t like the way the paper gets wet and wrinkles when I print large patches, and it is getting old, so I determined to replace it with a Laser if affordable. I don’t know if modern inkjets exhibit that problem. I looked at a HP Color Laserjet 2605DN and a Brother Color Laser HL-4040CN and have been trying to research them. I haven’t received knowledgeable answers to my questions from the salespeople at the local stores.

I was leaning towards the HP even though it and the toner was more expensive because it comes with ImageREt 2400, PCL 6, 80 TT PCL 6 fonts and Postscript level 3 emulation. The Brother has PCL 6 and what they call BR-Script 3.

What I read about the HP disturbs me. The claim is that the drum should be replaced when you replace the toner. Planned obsolescence I guess. I don’t know if all lasers are like that. It seems that by the time I need to buy toner, it would be more practical to buy a new printer.

I need advice.

Thanks for your reply.

Macola
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2008, 06:11 PM

If you are not doing professional graphic design work, you don't need a Postscript printer. In OS X, just save the file as a PDF and it will print fine.

As for printers, there are many choices out there. Check for reviews on sites like MacWorld, CNET, or Newegg.com. All lasers will have drums that wear out eventually (some sooner than others) and will need to be replaced. However, the printing costs (toner) per page generally work out much cheaper than inkjets.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Forum Links
Forum Rules