Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 10.3.2 and iBook fan

10.3.2 and iBook fan
Nerozwei
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2003, 01:37 AM

Just installed 10.3.2 on my 700MHz. Otherwise fine but my fan is now continuously on... Anyone else experiencing this?

bimmerphile
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 18, 2003, 01:41 AM

not on my iBook G4 800.
-Kris Olson | 12" PBG4 1.5GHz

toledo79
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2003, 02:01 AM

not on mine, but it seems to take a little longer to start up, does that seem normal?

by the way, mine is a g4 800 too

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2003, 02:38 AM

On the first restart after applying the update. Might be because its doing some optimizations before startup? Try rebooting again and see if its any better.

kayam1977
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2003, 02:40 AM

check macrumors.com's forum. There is few fan related issues tehre but not with ibooks only. Other then that, i think 10.3.2 is fine, i have a g4 800 as well. Noticed a bit of speed improvement in launching itunes, with one bounce now.

Nerozwei  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2003, 02:44 AM

Originally posted by ginoledesma:
On the first restart after applying the update. Might be because its doing some optimizations before startup? Try rebooting again and see if its any better.
I second that .. the first reboot after the update always takes long. Prebinding?

bimmerphile
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 18, 2003, 03:42 AM

reoptomization of the system prior to boot.

fsck's on the boot drive, etc.
-Kris Olson | 12" PBG4 1.5GHz

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2003, 09:29 AM

I definately don't install this update prior to be sure, my fan would not come up more often...

imactheknife
Dec 18, 2003, 10:38 AM

my fan is fine, but my startup times blows chunks now..takes forever once it gets to the desktop picture...the dock comes up after a bit, then the finder bar at the top....then finally the harddrive shows up....all with the spinning beach ball going...and I mean this is slow...

I have done several reboots to no avail either

I have a ibook g3 800 with 640 Ram and I am not at all happy with the startup time..

original panther was was way better...even 10.3.1..

mjarski15
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2003, 06:00 PM

Originally posted by imactheknife:
my fan is fine, but my startup times blows chunks now..takes forever once it gets to the desktop picture...the dock comes up after a bit, then the finder bar at the top....then finally the harddrive shows up....all with the spinning beach ball going...and I mean this is slow...

I have done several reboots to no avail either

I have a ibook g3 800 with 640 Ram and I am not at all happy with the startup time..

original panther was was way better...even 10.3.1..
Have you tried to repair your permissions? Some people have stated that this helps along with running the daily, weekly, and monthly cron files. If you don't know how to do these via the terminal, get Cocktail. It is a great program for UNIX commands with a nice interface.
20", 2gigs ram, 500gig HD, 2.16ghz core 2 duo iMac
iBook 700 Combo/14.1
OS X

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2003, 06:31 PM

fine on my iBook 700
we don't have time to stop for gas

dracoleb
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 18, 2003, 06:44 PM

Startup time is not much of an issue for me, as I usually put my iBook to sleep. Haven't noticed much of a change in startup time either even with these updates coming out every hour
"To create a new standard takes something that's not just a little bit different. It takes something that's really new and captures people's imaginations. Macintosh meets that standard"- Bill Gates

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2003, 09:42 PM

14" iBook 933 MHz and no problems here. No fan issues and boot times seem same as before. I love this frickin' computer. My wife is pissed I am neglecting my 17" iMac she bought last year since we got this thing. LOL

mishap
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2003, 01:47 PM

No problem on an iBook 800 g3

erniesthings
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2003, 06:20 PM

I have a 14" 1gz and I haven't done any of the recent updates. Has the audio CD problem been fixed. I usually don't do many system updates until I've heard from others that there isn't any problems.

Thanks

Ernie

imactheknife
Dec 20, 2003, 01:27 AM

well I tried cocktail and onyx..still sucked so I backed up and did a fresh install...it was way way faster at just 10.3.1..then I upgraded again to 10.3.2 and the boot time slows down like 5-7 seconds..what gives with that?? the finder still feels slower too! so I might just go back to 10.3.1 for now...oh well first update I never liked!! cheers, Mark

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2003, 07:07 AM

Fan on my iBook G4/800 seems fine -- nothing out of the regular. Battery life (after the battery update) is still questionable, though -- I'm not sure if it worsened or improved my battey life.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2003, 12:30 AM

Originally posted by Nerozwei:
Just installed 10.3.2 on my 700MHz. Otherwise fine but my fan is now continuously on... Anyone else experiencing this?
Yeah me too. I installed 10.3 (Panther) then upgraded to 10.3.2 on a 900MHz iBook. The fan came on and it stayed on. I then fixed the permissions and (hopefully) everything is fine now.

joostein
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2004, 11:33 AM

I got my first mac (12" iBook G4) on new years eve.

After I installed 10.3.2 my fan is continuously on. Could I "downgrade" my os to 10.3.1? How do I do this?

I'm not to worried about the noise, but if the fan is continuously on it probably decreases the batterylife of my iBook.. ?
12" iBook G4 [ 800MHz, 256MB, 60GB,
BT ]

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2004, 05:02 PM

For those suffering from obnoxiously slow startup times after applying the 10.3.2 update, download and run this software and restart 2 times. It WILL fix the problem - I've done it to two iBooks and a tower and it worked for me (although I did it manually in the terminal, rather than using this applescript, which wasn't available yet).

Quadra
Jan 7, 2004, 05:33 PM

While the fan may be anoying, my suggestion is leave it alone. One of the problems noted on ibook logic board failures is excessive heat. Possibly this was a "silent" fix by Apple. However that would still be a problem I know with the fan being on all the time. Kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't.

MRTrauffer
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 14, 2004, 10:31 AM

i just installed the 3.2 update last night on my 1ghz ibook G4. So far no fan problems or startup issues. The only thing that I'm trying to figure out is that i'm having trouble opening quite a few websites from google.

Still glad I made the switch!!
I gotta have more cowbell.

Forum Links
Forum Rules