Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Borderlands, brought to you by: The Final Dakar

Borderlands, brought to you by: The Final Dakar
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 28, 2009, 01:44 PM

We might as well start a thread for this seeing as we're derailing the news and discussion thread.

I'll start: Where's Bogues?

klb5090
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2009, 02:32 PM

Oh herro preeze

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 28, 2009, 02:33 PM

So, when are you buying?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 28, 2009, 02:53 PM

I spent my allowance on Return to Dark Castle. It's awesome.

I'm still at 0% and I'm on beginner level. It's hard. Should keep me occupied for years.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 28, 2009, 04:10 PM

Dammit, that bastard is playing right now.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2009, 04:12 PM

I picked this game up last night, but have yet to play it. I hope to play it tonight.

Giggity.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2009, 04:20 PM

Sold-out at the gamestop near work. Might check walmart if I'm in that area later.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 28, 2009, 06:16 PM

Seriously? This is sold out everywhere? Wow. I've never seen a game sold out (well, aside from Nintendo's choking of its Wii titles).

Am I the only person who didn't know what this game was until like a couple of days ago?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 28, 2009, 06:23 PM

I feel pretty confident this had a pretty low first run. They weren't banking on its this kind of popularity.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2009, 09:05 PM

I had no idea about it until Sunday night at 12:30 AM

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2009, 11:38 PM

There are an absurd amount of weapon variations in this game.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 28, 2009, 11:44 PM

You know, if its not amazon ****ing me, its UPS. I ordered the game last night with 1 day shipping, amazon shipped it at noon, and according to UPS they haven't even picked it up yet.

Also: $5 says Bogues doesn't post in this thread until after he downloads GTA tomorrow.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2009, 12:20 AM

5$ please

truthfully i want this game, I just know with MW2 and Assassins coming so soon i won't be able to put the time in like i did with fallout, its terrible timing. I must say that i'll be jealous when fatty and you are both on frolicking in the wastes without me

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 29, 2009, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by klb5090 View Post
5$ please
...why are you putting the dollar sign after the 5?

Originally Posted by klb5090 View Post
truthfully i want this game, I just know with MW2 and Assassins coming so soon i won't be able to put the time in like i did with fallout, its terrible timing. I must say that i'll be jealous when fatty and you are both on frolicking in the wastes without me
DOn't forget ::maroma::

klb5090
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2009, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
...why are you putting the dollar sign after the 5?
Four words...

Penn State Graduate

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 29, 2009, 11:00 AM

Hahaha, now I have you trained to rip yourself.

Well done, go reward yourself with a pop.

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2009, 12:11 PM

Played this game for a few hours last night. Damn fun. Damn damn fun. I chose the sniper character. And I can see me playing through this game at least a couple times just to try out other characters.

Can't wait to try out co-op.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 29, 2009, 12:12 PM

With a little luck we'll be on tonight. If you can get on at 10.30 fun things will happen.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2009, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
Played this game for a few hours last night. Damn fun. Damn damn fun. I chose the sniper character. And I can see me playing through this game at least a couple times just to try out other characters.

Can't wait to try out co-op.
Same here, single player can be a hoot but I can tell the game will be exponentially more awesome with Dakar, you and I. From what I've read, whoever hosts the game sets the skill level and available missions. I'm already breaching level 16, so I'd imagine we'll let whoever is the lowest skill host, which will be Dakar.

I'm still unsure how the weapons will work, because as it stands right now I have a sick compliment of weapons (my sniper does 145 damage), but I'll have to be mindful of letting others get XP because you guys will be a little less lethal.

Also, it should be noted, that I'm getting quite proficient at popping heads off from great distances...something that is oh-so-satisfying in this game.

I'll shoot to sign on at quarter past ten, so we can get the ball rolling. I don't have work tomorrow so I can stay up till whenever, but I imagine you guys will need sleep.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 29, 2009, 02:24 PM

Well, its sitting on my steps right now, so as long as it doesn't get stolen before I get home, its on tonight.

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2009, 02:31 PM

My gaming availability has changed since the last time I got together with you guys. I can game Tuesday nights (usually) and the weekends. Other weeknights are tentative at best. I will try to get on tonight, but I can't guarantee anything. Plus, being on the West Coast, trying to sync up game times narrows my options as well.

Anyhow, don't wait for me if you guys are all ready to go tonight.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 29, 2009, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
don't wait for me if you guys are all ready to go tonight.
Done.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2009, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Seriously? This is sold out everywhere? Wow. I've never seen a game sold out (well, aside from Nintendo's choking of its Wii titles).

Am I the only person who didn't know what this game was until like a couple of days ago?
No. I haven't got a clue what this game is about? Like you, I didn't see much about it, until a few days ago.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2009, 09:27 PM

ehh, is this good? I picked it up on PC, played it for about 15 minutes and wasn't blown away.

love the graphics though...
we don't have time to stop for gas

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2009, 09:30 PM

Edit: Nevermind.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 30, 2009, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Edit: Nevermind.
Don't worry I still saw it.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 30, 2009, 10:29 AM

So Fatty and I had a blast last night. This game was really designed for the multi. Its also practically impossible to die. I think another game this remidns me of is the next gen Gauntlets.

---

Some useful info:

You can have multiple players using the same class in co-op.
You will need to do multiple run-throughs to get to 50.
Borderlands Wiki - Walkthrough, Weapons, Classes, Enemies, Vehicles and more!

Edit: The only complaint is the vehicle is basically too willing to what you ask.
( Last edited by The Final Dakar; Oct 30, 2009 at 10:38 AM. )

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 30, 2009, 11:57 AM

Borderlands console patches go live, Lilith gets some loving

Thank God. I already dealt with on glitch last night, and possibly a glitched achieve, too.

Edit: It doesn't fix glitched achieves...

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2009, 01:57 PM

The game really shines with a partner, and Dakar wasn't able to die maybe thanks to my assortment of brutal weaponry... If you are playing with someone ranked lower than you don't expect to earn XP nearly as fast as you normally would, however, I was still able to find swag (weapons, armor, etc) that out-classed what I already had. I'm glad the designers realized that the higher skilled player would dominate, but he'd still want at least some goodies to show for his troubles.

Next meet-up is tentatively set for Sunday night, I hope ::maroma:: will be able to join in. My g/f's brother has this game too, he's around level 13 and maybe we'll be able to get him as the 4th.

Gaming single player can be very challenging and rewarding, gaming with a friend is a friggin hoot.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 30, 2009, 02:12 PM

Yeah, it should be noted I went from 6 or 7 to 13-almost 14 while sek went from 15 to 16. I'm not exactly smooth in the game, so many times I' be swapping out weapons and managing inventory while sek was forging on ahead wiping out wide swaths of enemies. I was glad the game coughed up some good loot for his troubles though.

sek, you need to clarify what time you're thinking for Sunday Night. I go off the grid roughly 10 pm, and I have a feeling that won't jibe with you.

---

One nice little thing is, in retrospect my thread title (which was made before having played the game or known its tone) seems very apropos.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 30, 2009, 05:34 PM

I just logged on to find chuckit playing and is already Level 7.

Congratulations chuckit!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 30, 2009, 06:33 PM

Heh, thanks. All the comments on the game intrigued me, so I figured I'd try it out. Leveling seems to go pretty fast, at least early on.

BTW, I just noticed that the soldier is the healing class. I figured there wasn't one because I didn't even think to look for it there.
Chuck
___

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2009, 02:49 PM

I'm actually free all day, signing on in a few hours after I've had a nap.
( Last edited by sek929; Nov 1, 2009 at 03:09 PM. )

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 1, 2009, 04:53 PM

Anytime, sek.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2009, 11:23 PM

That nap turned into a long sleep, guess I was pretty exhausted from this weekend...

Two of my good buddies have this game, one is a level 30, one is a level 7. I think we'll be getting together on Tuesday night if you want to be the fourth.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 1, 2009, 11:46 PM

Dakar the Fourth?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2009, 08:39 AM

Nah, screw that guy.

In other news I consider yestreday to be a lost opportunity to play Borderlands, I'll be on as much as I can today/tonight.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 2, 2009, 11:45 AM

I forgot about leveling and my addictive personality.

Related: I'm somewhere in the high 20s.

Also related: Saturday night I logged off around 22, saw ::maroma:: log on as 19. Went to Halloween party for a few hours, I log back on ::maroma:: is already up to 23. Wowzers.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2009, 02:09 PM

Dammit, I'm going to fall way behind if I don't play soon, maybe I'll stay up late tonight since yesterday I got about 20 hours of sleep.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 2, 2009, 02:21 PM

How about a little payback? I bet you'll level way quicker if I give you a hand. I wouldn't mind doing some pwning, anyway.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2009, 02:24 PM

What's your availability tonight?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 2, 2009, 02:28 PM

Um, after 7 probably. I'm on OT but I make up my own hours, so all I need to do is eat when I get home.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2009, 02:43 PM

Hmmm, I'm not sure what the g/f has planned for us tonight, perhaps I can convince her to do extra studying or something. Either way I most certainly will be on by quarter-past ten, and I'm planning on playing till at least 1am.

I'm going to talk to her before I get out of work and I'll post here to let you know.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 2, 2009, 02:47 PM

Here, let's plan for a 10 (tentatively) and you fine tune it. I like to eat late, and I have (want) to finish Season 3 of BSG tonight.

downinflames68
Baninated
Nov 2, 2009, 02:50 PM

I don't get the appeal of the game. The graphics and style look great... but the whole +5 here and +7 here just seems kinda ... strange.

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2009, 03:08 PM

I forgot about leveling and my addictive personality.

Related: I'm somewhere in the high 20s.

Also related: Saturday night I logged off around 22, saw ::maroma:: log on as 19. Went to Halloween party for a few hours, I log back on ::maroma:: is already up to 23. Wowzers.
Oh hey Dakar, sorry I missed your message. I was most likely away from the console when you sent it, and seeing that xbox doesn't have a nagging reminder when you get a message and don't read it, I didn't know until I logged on again the next day.

And I believe I'm up to 27 now. I am kinda the same way about having an addictive personality and wanting to continue to level and get more gear. Its a sickness. I actually had to work hard to not play last night. This game is not good for my productivity.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 2, 2009, 03:36 PM

No worries, I walk away from my console all the time.

---

So, is anyone up for some Weapons Trading? Just list your weapon of choice and what you're looking for and we'll keep an eye out.

I say this because I've been using a kick-ass shotgun for the past 10 or so levels because nothing even comes close. (Roughly 40 x 11 Damage, 50%+ accuracy, 1.6 Fire Rate. Its lethal up close and surgical from a distance)

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2009, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
I don't get the appeal of the game. The graphics and style look great... but the whole +5 here and +7 here just seems kinda ... strange.
That's the RPG aspect of it.
Chuck
___

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2009, 03:48 PM

No worries, I walk away from my console all the time.

---

So, is anyone up for some Weapons Trading? Just list your weapon of choice and what you're looking for and we'll keep an eye out.

I say this because I've been using a kick-ass shotgun for the past 10 or so levels because nothing even comes close. (Roughly 40 x 11 Damage, 50%+ accuracy, 1.6 Fire Rate. Its lethal up close and surgical from a distance)
I'd love to trade, but I'll have to log back on and check my inventory for the specifics of what I have. I'm really into sniper rifles and repeaters right now. Got a real nice repeater but I'd like a pimpin' sniper rifle.

I've been wishing that this game had a locker type system like in Fallout, where I can just throw all of my extra crap I don't want to carry on me (or can't fit), instead of having to sell them or drop them. But I will say, micromanagement of my inventory is oddly satisfying at times.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 2, 2009, 03:57 PM

Yeah, there really should be a home where you can dump some weapons in a safe.

Personally, I can't find a good Support Machine Gun (no zoom) to save my life. I finally had to ditch mine because my SMG dealt as much damage per far faster. Snipers are also tricky little bastards, but I have one thats functional in controlled situations.

It's interesting, I didn't try the shotgun til I played with sek, and its almost to level 10 now. By far my greatest weapon (which is probably dumb with my class).

Forum Links
Forum Rules