Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Using a MDD as an airport base, or not?

Using a MDD as an airport base, or not?
SSharon
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2004, 05:47 PM

I have a dual 1.0 MDD and I am planning on buying an ibook (with an airport extreme card). Should I (Can I?) buy an airport card for my MDD and use it as an access point? Is it even worth it since there are 802.11g routers for less than the price of an old airport card? What do you guys suggest I do, what products work well with panther, etc.?

Thanks in advance.

iCol
Senior User
Feb 26, 2004, 08:51 PM

you can use the PM as a base station, yes. It shares the internet connection just as if it were a wired eyhernet network. Easy to setup.
F is for Fooyork.

SSharon  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2004, 08:59 PM

thanks for the reply.

so I can share internet with either an airport card or a pci based one. well I guess that means I'm getting a faster and cheaper pci card even though airport would be nice.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 28, 2004, 01:12 PM

Just get a router. Then you don't have to worry about things like your other computers' wireless network connection going down just because you need to restart the MDD.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules