Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > MacNN Nike+ iPod Challenges

MacNN Nike+ iPod Challenges
alligator
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2006, 08:37 AM

After just a few weeks of running, we already have 7 people trying to finish 100 miles of running or walking in our MacNN Century Club Challenge using our Nike+ iPods.

It actually looks like one of the challengers will be completing his 100 miles very soon. It's too bad we don't have any awards for those people who actually complete 100 miles. Like $5 iTunes gift certificates. Anyone work at a business that would be willing to donate to motivate us runners/walkers?

Once we complete this challenge, what should our next challenge be? I'm training for a 5k, hoping to set a new PR, but after that I'll need more motivation to keep running. I really enjoy my Nike+ iPod and I think it works very, very well. It's fun to check to see where I am in my running goals, and how close I am to the top.

Where should we go from here once we complete 100 miles?

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2006, 03:39 AM

I'd be willing to pony up $5 to send someone an iTunes gift card via the Apple store.
Linkinus is king.

alligator  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2006, 08:01 PM

It would make sense if we had $35 so everyone who completed the 100 miles (whenever and however long that takes each person) could receive a gift card. In other words, $5 for each person, and there are currently 7 of us.

If you are suggesting we start a pool and then reward each other, that's a good idea too!

Lets find out what others want to do.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2006, 09:04 PM

Well, I'll give up to $10, so if anyone wants to contribute the other $25, please feel free.
Linkinus is king.

alligator  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2006, 11:26 AM

Nobody has responded. We already have one person who completed 100 miles! Pretty soon there will be others. I'm about 1/2 way.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2006, 04:36 AM

PM me his\her Address and I will buy him\her a $5 iTunes gift card.
Linkinus is king.

alligator  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2006, 09:14 AM

Once I added the person to the challenge it won't let me see their e-mail address anymore. The first person to reach 100 miles was "adamwc". Is he here? Step up and claim your prize!

awcopus
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2006, 12:14 AM

Hello folks. alligator, you're going to have to step on it to come in second! :-)

brokenjago, I am adamwc. Thank you for the offer. I'm not inclined to take you up on it, but know that I believe your offer was genuine and I really appreciate the spirit of it. I heart your esprit de corps.

alligator, I'm a bit of a 5k fiend these days. According to Nike+, my best time puts me at 34th in the U.S. in my age group (30-39) and gender (m), but I'm about to slow down significantly because my work schedule is getting extremely hectic. That said, I'd love to "train" with you and others who run 5Ks frequently. Just ran this weekend in Central Park for the Susan Komen Find the Cure to Cancer 5k run.

In general, if we're going to get into running for money, how about we find a way to run for a charity we all believe in? THAT would be pretty great. We'd have a winner amongst us, but all of us would be contributing to something we believe in. Thoughts?

The Nike+ experience has been awesome for me. My wife loves it, too. We're working out more often than ever and having a hell of a lot of fun. Honestly, I didn't see this coming at all and I'm usually pretty thrilled when Apple delivers something I'm expecting.

Just awesome.
Liberty lover since birth. Mac devotee since 1986.

badsey
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2006, 01:53 AM

the Nike+ Sports Kit ($30) is truely a bargain, but it only works with a Nano. If you have an iPod Nano and are a walker or runner, get this Nike+ kit. Well worth it, runners especially.

With the new redesigned iPod Shuffle that is 1/2 the length of the old one, expect more people to goto the Nano (and try this Nike+ kit). Nice to see the Nano getting more memory, my 1GB Nano is cutting the memory rather thin, 2GB is much better, 4Gb or 8Gb and purchasing the full size iPod becomes questionable. I have an iPod video and feel it's too big and the batteries just don't last long enough. I guess I'm just not an iPod power-user.

awcopus
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2006, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by badsey
the Nike+ Sports Kit ($30) is truely a bargain, but it only works with a Nano. If you have an iPod Nano and are a walker or runner, get this Nike+ kit. Well worth it, runners especially.

With the new redesigned iPod Shuffle that is 1/2 the length of the old one, expect more people to goto the Nano (and try this Nike+ kit). Nice to see the Nano getting more memory, my 1GB Nano is cutting the memory rather thin, 2GB is much better, 4Gb or 8Gb and purchasing the full size iPod becomes questionable. I have an iPod video and feel it's too big and the batteries just don't last long enough. I guess I'm just not an iPod power-user.
Sell your iPod Video and get the 8GB nano. Seems logical for you. Come back and get an iPod Video if you really miss it. Meanwhile, run with more playlists.

Karpfish
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2006, 02:34 PM

im going to sell my 60gig video and buy an 8gb nano, i want this kit. is it worth it before i buy it?

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2006, 02:44 PM

Instead of looking for charity, why don't you have everyone pay $5 to join the challenge. Split the pot into a first, second, and third prize, and then buy some cool prizes.

ImpulseResponse

awcopus
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2006, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Karpfish
im going to sell my 60gig video and buy an 8gb nano, i want this kit. is it worth it before i buy it?
I'm closing in on 200 miles logged with my 4GB nano and Nike+ kit.

Understatement of the year: the kit is worth it.

As to whether the 8GB Nano is worth it? Black is awesome and 8GB is a no-brainer (twice as much storage for another $100). Go for it.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2006, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by awcopus
Understatement of the year: the kit is worth it.
Awesome. I just ordered my Nike+ shoes (nowhere around here had them in stock) and they should be here tomorrow. If I like them, I'll pick up a Nano and see about joining in on this stuff.

Karpfish
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2006, 03:07 PM

ya i think i will make a trip to the city this weekend, niketown for the shoes, then 5th ave store for the nano and sport kit/armband! i love this! someone buy my video!

awcopus
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2006, 04:07 PM

ya i think i will make a trip to the city this weekend, niketown for the shoes, then 5th ave store for the nano and sport kit/armband! i love this! someone buy my video!
That's exactly how I got on board. Great 1-2 retail punch since the stores are within 100 yards of each other. If the weather complies, go for a run in Central Park to test it out.

Karpfish
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2006, 05:56 PM

what do you guys reccomend shoe-wise. I only have one pair of sneakers now and i need another one anyway, so im gonna get the shoes instead of getting a pouch of w/e. a store nea me has th shox ones in my size, but if they arent great i will order online.what do you guys reccomend

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 14, 2006, 02:49 AM

Black Nano and Nike+ kit ordered! It should be here next week and I'll be joining in the group.

You remind me my wife… why you laugh? She dead. | sasper at gmail dot com

nbnz
Senior User
Sep 14, 2006, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by awcopus
That's exactly how I got on board. Great 1-2 retail punch since the stores are within 100 yards of each other. If the weather complies, go for a run in Central Park to test it out.
I'm doing the same in London on Monday. Niketown and the Apple Store within 100 meters.
iMac, Intel Core-Duo 2GHz, 2GB, 250GB, OS X 10.4
PowerBook 12", 867MHz, 640MB, 60GB, OS X 10.4
iMac G3, 333MHz, 288MB, 6GB, OS X 10.3
iPods: 3G iPod, 1G mini, 1G shuffle, 2G nano

dazzla
Senior User
Sep 14, 2006, 08:01 AM

I was gonna head into London next week to pick this combo up. I'm not a runner at all but I'm bored of my current regime and this could get me going. nbnz, report back if you managed to get hold of both just fine.

awcopus
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 08:36 AM

what do you guys reccomend shoe-wise. I only have one pair of sneakers now and i need another one anyway, so im gonna get the shoes instead of getting a pouch of w/e. a store nea me has th shox ones in my size, but if they arent great i will order online.what do you guys reccomend
If your feet are on the wide side and you want to stick with Nike, you're best option is the Air Zoom Plus. Nikes, I have found, run about a 1/2 size smaller, so try on your usual size and then the next size up.

You can use any sneakers, though. I alternate between Nikes Air Zoom Plus and New Balance 991s.

booah
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2006, 04:02 PM

Hi awcopus,

What do you mean you can use any shoe? Nike+ shoes have the little indentation in the sole that allows you to insert the sensor. How do you use them with your New Balance 991s?

nbnz
Senior User
Sep 15, 2006, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by booah
Hi awcopus,

What do you mean you can use any shoe? Nike+ shoes have the little indentation in the sole that allows you to insert the sensor. How do you use them with your New Balance 991s?
Get something like this from Marware.
A few people are doing similar things.

awcopus
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2006, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by nbnz
When I'm not using my Nikes, that's what I'm doing.

Initially, I actually just placed the transmitter in the arch of my 991s under the pad and I really didn't mind it for short runs (3-5 miles). In general I like switching between shoes about every two-three runs. Keeps my feet strong.

I'm closing in on 200 miles, guys. Probably pass it in one more week. Today I went for a run in the rain in NYC and it was refreshingly cool, a real blast. I'm sort of like a G5 in that I run hot and like liquid cooling.

nbnz
Senior User
Sep 16, 2006, 04:05 AM

Cool, my iPod is on it's way...from here it should be delivered Monday (when I'll also pickup the Nike+ unit and maybe some shows).

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2006, 09:10 AM

Bought the whole package iPod nano (rev A, 4 GB, refurnished $160) + dock $30 + Nike kit.

But I'm living in Utrecht (NL) now, I'll visit the States in early October and I'll get the whole thing.

These days I run 5 times/week, an estimate average of 25-30 miles/week.

I'm anxious to check out how it works. Also, to join the Nike/iPod community. I can see myself pushing harder just to get close to the top guys.

On the meanwhile I gave my rev. B iPod (10 GB) to my sister.
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24¨, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

Karpfish
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2006, 09:20 AM

i have my nano and nike+ kit, now im waiting on the shoes! tuesday! then i need to get the arm band and im set to go.

Karpfish
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2006, 11:36 AM

now that this one is complete, is it time to start a nw one? im gonna start a new one, pm me your email address if you want an invite

booah
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2006, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by nbnz
Wow, I had no idea that this was available! I love Nike and can be particular about which style I buy and wear. I am also not a runner, but hope to be and wanted to use the Nike+ to start with walking first. are there any other accessories such as this for the Nike+ sensor?

booah

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 18, 2006, 05:27 PM

I'm in for a century challenge PM'd you Karpfish.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2006, 09:32 PM

Just did the calibration and my first run today, and it worked great! I compared it with the distance/speed on the treadmill and it seemed pretty accurate. Being able to log my runs on the Nike+ website is nice too. All in all, I'm very happy with it, and I think I'll really get my money's worth out of it.

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 25, 2006, 02:19 PM

Where is everyone in the new Century Challenge? I was the only one with some stats, until Kitch showed up and dominated my distances.

I ran a triathalon on Saturday, so I had a couple days of no running and wasn't able to track my run during the triathalon. I should be back onto running distances and start training for a half marathon in the Spring.

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 25, 2006, 03:14 PM

i run a 100 miles a week lol.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2006, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Steve
Where is everyone in the new Century Challenge?
Dude, I'm still working on completing the first Macnn Century Challenge.
I'm about half way there.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 26, 2006, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Stogieman
Dude, I'm still working on completing the first Macnn Century Challenge.
I'm about half way there.
Haha, I didn't realize the original challenge was still going on. Keep it up Stogie!

Who is Kitch? It looks like you're running about 15 miles a day, and pulling way out in the lead... nice work!

nbnz
Senior User
Sep 26, 2006, 06:36 PM

Karpfish, have just PM'd you.

Got everything except the Marware sensor pouch, couldn't find it or similar in the UK so have ordered from US today and it's already been dispatched, so hopefully will be here by early next week. Lately I've been doing 15-22 miles a week over 3-4 runs. Slowly building up the mileage for a 1/2 marathon on 19 November.

Irun
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 4, 2006, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by booah
Wow, I had no idea that this was available! I love Nike and can be particular about which style I buy and wear. I am also not a runner, but hope to be and wanted to use the Nike+ to start with walking first. are there any other accessories such as this for the Nike+ sensor?

booah
Search on Ebay for "ipod pouch tested" for another that works AWESOME!!

Here it is (I've got it - it works awesome and saved me tons of $$$$ on Nike shoes): eBay: Pouch for iPod Nano Nike + Sport Kit Sensor Tested!! (item 130031606902 end time Oct-06-06 17:09:27 PDT)

nbnz
Senior User
Oct 5, 2006, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Irun
Search on Ebay for "ipod pouch tested" for another that works AWESOME!!

Here it is (I've got it - it works awesome and saved me tons of $$$$ on Nike shoes): eBay: Pouch for iPod Nano Nike + Sport Kit Sensor Tested!! (item 130031606902 end time Oct-06-06 17:09:27 PDT)

And you have no vested interest in selling these things - which all 3 of your posts link to?
I've got the Marware one which does a great job, better quality, costs $1.45 more, and you can move it between shoes without re-threading your laces.

njrunnerFred
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2006, 06:43 PM

Hey everyone,

I am starting a challenge called race your pace. There is a race for all runner levels. If you want to read more about it you can go to

Run+ - Race Your Pace

Let me know if anyone else want to participate.

njrunnerfred AT gmail DOT com

Fred

David2213
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2006, 03:33 PM

what do you guys reccomend shoe-wise. I only have one pair of sneakers now and i need another one anyway, so im gonna get the shoes instead of getting a pouch of w/e. a store nea me has th shox ones in my size, but if they arent great i will order online.what do you guys reccomend?

I dont know if you have already bought shoes, but I have wider feet and got the shox turb ohhs. I absolutly love them. Took a few runs to break them in but they are great.

peterauch21
Oct 30, 2006, 11:27 AM

Is it a bad idea to run with a 30gb iPod? Since it has a HD and what not will the constant bouncing around and what not cause it to have a shorter life? Also what would be a good case to get for it to run with? Sorry about being off topic.. It stinks that the nike+ only works with nanos.

Forum Links
Forum Rules