Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Big Feature For iTunes 5

Big Feature For iTunes 5 (Page 2)
Link700
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2005, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by ambush
Skins
VBR AAC
Lyrics
Better performance

and most importantly

ABILITY TO GROUP PLAYLISTS!!!!
Skins ? You have to be a Windows User, Apple would never stoop to something so tacky. Thank God. But I do agree with Lyrics and Better Performance

Link700
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2005, 04:09 PM

I would like to be able to Click on a song, and have it light up what playlists its located in.

mikeylebeau
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2005, 05:26 PM

Am I the only one that would find it really useful to be able to choose crossfade settings by track or album? With most of my music I like crossfade, but when I'm listening to a mix of electronic music that spans across multiple tracks, it's kind of a pain in the ass, yet I don't bother to turn it off globally just for that.
15" TiBook RIP :(
12" AlBook (867MHz/60GB/640MB RAM/SuperDrive/Airport Extreme/Bluetooth) as of 20 Feb 2003
30" ACD, G5 (Dual 2.5GHz/500GB/4GB RAM/6800 Ultra DDL/Airport Extreme/Bluetooth) as of 15 Dec 2004

MacMania
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2005, 06:04 PM

I sent iTunes feedback to apple long time ago, I would like to know every one opinion about it.

� BPM automatic calculation (write to ID3 Tag).

� Automatically update to the latest ID3 tag version and set older version to none.

� Lyric in ID3 Tag (Synchronized with the singer).

� Read CD cover on Album folder (it take 10 to 20 time less space than keep covers on each song).

� Keep CD info (CDDB - Gracenote) for reference on a special Disc Playlist after ejecting the disk.

� Publish to .Mac/Web my music catalog/collection with iTunes Store associate reference.

� ID3 Tag: Artist's Country, Languages, Record Label, Publisher, rip source (Vinyl, Cassette, FM), encode by, encode with.

� View music list as indexed folder by artists and album and keep the time space between track base on .m3u

Published on:
http://homepage.mac.com/oscar3d/mac/codes/feedback.html

bmedina
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2005, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Stradlater
If you burn the Apple Lossless files back into a CD, there are still gaps when you play it in a CD player?
People still burn CDs? Far more important is how it plays back on the computer and an iPod, and that's definitely not gapless.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2005, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh
ABILITY TO GROUP PLAYLISTS

and speed. I could care less about most the other stuff.

Something that could track beat per second and have music that "goes" together "play" together (think virtual DJ)...

that's about it...
...you mean, "I couldn't care less"

"I could care less" means that, you could actually..care less!

Proudest Monkey
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 30, 2005, 09:27 PM

the ability to create a data mp3 disk ... but apple wouldn't likely do that because there philosophy is to just use an ipod but i prefer a mp3 cd player in my car instead of a cd player with ipod
MacBook 13.3" C2D 2.0ghz 2gb/160gb

mr100percent
Forum Regular
May 1, 2005, 02:15 AM

Ah, can't iTunes already burn mp3 CDs, as well as Data CDs?

patman600
May 1, 2005, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh
Do you have that many copies of the same song?
I don't think I have more than 2 copies of any particular song, but that is enough to annoy me. Because they are separate tracks, each has about half of the playcount. This means that it ranks more middle of the line instead of towards the top of the playcount numbers. This bothers me as I have several smart playlist set up based on playcount/last played data. For example, I just heard "Shepherd Moons" by Enya twice in a row, on a smart playlist designed to never let me hear the same song twice until I have heard every other Enya song.

theFATangel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2005, 03:20 AM

I've got the answer to nearly all of your problems with iTunes (not really though). It simply doesn't exist but I sure wish a WinAmp for Mac OS X was available (CocoAmp?). Audio AND video playback. Nearly any codec can be played or a plugin installed to play it. GAPLESS playback (eg. using FLAC which by the way compresses smaller than ALC and isn't proprietary). You can enqueue and modify your playlists on the fly. More skins than you can shake a Shuffle at. Plugins to manage your iPod without all the "security" features to aviod piracy. Need I go on? I'm sure some of you will flame at all this and I have one word for you - MilkDrop - thank you Geiss.

No but seriously folks, a media player for the Mac is needed that doesn't try to manage your media for you, but one that silently knows where everything is, how to play it, and lets you do with your media what you want to do with it. Now that's a woma- er, ah, media player I can respect in the morning!

iTunes will NEVER fit the bill 'cause the people who own it are among the rich who want nothing more to be richer. Something like WinAmp scares them (and yes I know AOL owns it now, but they didn't create it - AND its still free unless you want the option to burn CDs with it).

For now I like using VLC. It isn't pretty, but man there's so much power hiding behind it - sometimes I find myself scared.

Just my opinion and two cents worth from a long time Mac/Windows user/lover.

theFATangel

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 1, 2005, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by ambush
Skins
What the fark for ?

To have even more GUI inconsistencies on the Mac ?
And for PCs, Apple shouldn't waste any resources on useless things like that.

-t

Thain Esh Kelch
Mac Enthusiast
May 1, 2005, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by goMac
No offense, but an iMac G3/233 is not that fast.
I know... :/ But it'll play Myth II just fine.. But it cant decode 3 mp3's without using all the processor power...

iMac 233 = 3 iPods..

Originally Posted by mr100percent
Ah, can't iTunes already burn mp3 CDs, as well as Data CDs?
I believe it can yes.

Mr Scruff
Mac Enthusiast
May 1, 2005, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Stradlater
MP3 isn't a gapless format (though LAME can kind of hack this by replacing that gap with part of an adjacent song.

AAC isn't a gapless format, either.

Apple didn't "single-handedly ruin" anything; this is how it's always been, this is how lossy formats work. Most people who listen to DJ sets encode the tracks into one single track.

Once you encode to either, and burn it to a CD, the gaps will remain.

If you don't want gaps, encode to Apple Lossless, which preserves everything of the original track.
Just because the mp3 format doesn't make it easy to support gapless playback, doesn't mean Apple shouldn't expend the meagre engineering effort required to solve the problem.

Winamp has been able to do this for at least 6 years. I personally listen to my mixes as one long track, but this is a poor solution.

As for burning to CDs, I don't listen to music on CD anymore. I listen to it on iTunes/iPod.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2005, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by macintologist
...you mean, "I couldn't care less"

"I could care less" means that, you could actually..care less!

I stand corrected.

Busemann
Mac Elite
May 1, 2005, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by theFATangel
Something like WinAmp scares them (and yes I know AOL owns it now, but they didn't create it - AND its still free unless you want the option to burn CDs with it).
FWIW, the lead WinAmp developer is now at the iTunes team.

clebin
Grizzled Veteran
May 1, 2005, 12:19 PM

Order albums chronologically!

I've been asking for this since the beginning because that's how you want to see an artist's albums represented. Nobody would sit down and order their albums alphabetically - or would they?

Chris

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
May 1, 2005, 08:16 PM

I would like for iTMS to support compilations and/or for the iPod export to use Grouping instead of album. A prime example of the need for this is the Complete U2. The iPod does not scroll the album name.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

midwinter
Mac Elite
May 2, 2005, 02:48 AM

I miss liner notes.

phrenzy
Forum Regular
May 2, 2005, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by goMac
No offense, but an iMac G3/233 is not that fast.
Give me a break. For mp3s? I used to play MP3s using 'MacAmp' on my fricking 90 mhz 7200 601 PPC and it didn't break a sweat. A g3/233 is plenty fast. Simply playing an mp3 should not bring any system to its knees.

WetWillie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2005, 10:39 AM

I have a lot of DJ sets, and it would be great if iTunes would:
- provide enough space in the Comments field to accomodate song/artist/label information for the set. It seems to truncate whatever is pasted in there after a certainnumber of characters
- let the user mark index points on a track

\\WW//

hcorf
Forum Regular
May 6, 2005, 01:07 AM

as far as skins go, they have done them already in wmp and it looks tacky. But who else would like to able to put itunes in aqua or the plasticy theme you can have if you hack safari?

Other than that i guess they are running out of ways to improve this app, and most of the functionality holes have been filled with 3rd party plugins i guess.
PB 15" 1.5ghz : 1gig : Combo

kikkoman
Senior User
May 6, 2005, 03:47 PM

I would like the ability to record internet radio stations in iTunes. If track information is broadcast with stream iTunes should split the stream into separate mp3 files. I would like the ability to schedule recordings. There are 3rd party apps that do this but I would like it integrated into iTunes. Internet radio primarily drives my purchases from the iTMS.

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
May 6, 2005, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Proudest Monkey
the ability to create a data mp3 disk ... but apple wouldn't likely do that because there philosophy is to just use an ipod but i prefer a mp3 cd player in my car instead of a cd player with ipod

Yes, iTunes can burn an "MP3" CD for use in CD players that recognize them - go to Preferences>Burning, and pick MP3 CD. It also allows Data CD to be picked which includes ALL the file types (MP3, AAC, AIFF, etc) in their data format (ie, not expanded to an audio CD).

L
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
May 6, 2005, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by phrenzy
Give me a break. For mp3s? I used to play MP3s using 'MacAmp' on my fricking 90 mhz 7200 601 PPC and it didn't break a sweat. A g3/233 is plenty fast. Simply playing an mp3 should not bring any system to its knees.
When MP3s first started coming around, I had a really hard time getting my 7100/66 to play them, In fact, it couldn't without frequent skipping. That being said, it had a 250Mb hard drive, so I had other problems on my hands

L
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

MartiNZ
Senior User
May 6, 2005, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by LeeG
When MP3s first started coming around, I had a really hard time getting my 7100/66 to play them, In fact, it couldn't without frequent skipping. That being said, it had a 250Mb hard drive, so I had other problems on my hands

L
Yeah I remember my brother had some early .mp3s on a 7200/120, and you couldn't do anything else while they were playing, without at least causing skips/pauses.

Forum Links
Forum Rules