Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Mac Server 10.2

Mac Server 10.2
BrettOZ
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2005, 07:43 AM

Anyone out there still running Server 10.2 ?

Just curious to know if it is still a good option for a basic Web/File/Quicktime server for Home? Are security updates still being released for this version? Any info would be appreciated...

CatOne
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2005, 12:10 PM

Ugh. A lot of the components are pretty old in 10.2. Why not use 10.4?

BrettOZ  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2005, 07:34 PM

I own 10.2 Server, just want to see if is worth upgrading to 10.4 ?

I do not really see any benefits, as I am running it on a G4 933 - not an Xserve... and only use it as a basic Web/File server

Just wanted to get some opinions...

clebin
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 19, 2005, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by CatOne
Ugh. A lot of the components are pretty old in 10.2. Why not use 10.4?
Shouldn't you ask him exactly what he needs before he wastes his own money on a software upgrade?

By default 10.4 still uses Apache 1.3, so it's not going to make much difference to your web-serving. There is an Apache 2.0 installation you can set up, but unless you have a requirement for it, I wouldn't bother.

I recently upgraded a web-server from 10.2 to 10.4 because PHP 5 was not available for 10.2 and I needed the new XML functions.

Unless you've got a solid requirement like that, I really wouldn't bother.

What you use on your desktop is a different matter - 10.4 is much more enjoyable to use - but if basically what you're doing is downloading and uploading files, 10.2 is quite good enough IMO.

Chris

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2005, 04:07 PM

Apple doesn't offer updates for 10.2 anymore. If I were to use it as a server I would use the third party apache installation packages. Also, AFP and QTSS are vastly improved since Jag.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2005, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by clebin
Shouldn't you ask him exactly what he needs before he wastes his own money on a software upgrade?

By default 10.4 still uses Apache 1.3, so it's not going to make much difference to your web-serving. There is an Apache 2.0 installation you can set up, but unless you have a requirement for it, I wouldn't bother.

I recently upgraded a web-server from 10.2 to 10.4 because PHP 5 was not available for 10.2 and I needed the new XML functions.

Unless you've got a solid requirement like that, I really wouldn't bother.

What you use on your desktop is a different matter - 10.4 is much more enjoyable to use - but if basically what you're doing is downloading and uploading files, 10.2 is quite good enough IMO.

Chris
Apache is the same, but Perl and PHP are MUCH older versions, mySQL is a lot older version, and Ruby wasn't packaged with 10.2 at all. My advice if you want to use 10.2 is to download and build all the components from scratch.

Plus the mail server on 10.2 is hopelessly crappy (10.3 and 10.4 use Cyrus and Postfix, versus the old Apple Mail server which was an open relay by default), Open Directory works in 10.3/10.4 (versus being a fragile shell over NetInfo in 10.2)... the changes are huge.

I'd say 10.4 "client" would be a better server product than 10.2 server, if you just want to use Apache.

BrettOZ  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 21, 2005, 08:00 AM

Thanks for the advice everyone - much appreciated.

clebin
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 25, 2005, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by CatOne
Apache is the same, but Perl and PHP are MUCH older versions, mySQL is a lot older version, and Ruby wasn't packaged with 10.2 at all. My advice if you want to use 10.2 is to download and build all the components from scratch.

Plus the mail server on 10.2 is hopelessly crappy (10.3 and 10.4 use Cyrus and Postfix, versus the old Apple Mail server which was an open relay by default), Open Directory works in 10.3/10.4 (versus being a fragile shell over NetInfo in 10.2)... the changes are huge.

I'd say 10.4 "client" would be a better server product than 10.2 server, if you just want to use Apache.
There are installers available for PHP and MySQL - you don't need to build anything.

Entropy.ch has PHP 4.3.4, which IIRC is newer than the default PHP on OS X 10.4. To run PHP5 on Tiger you'd probably go to Entropy.ch anyway.

MySQL.com has MySQL 4.1 available for 10.2.

I doubt he needs Open Directory or anything more than SMTP if this is a simple web & file server.

You're right with your last point though.

Chris

BrettOZ  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2005, 10:18 AM

Ended up buying Tiger Server, just working through setting it up now

Thanks for the info though

clebin
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 26, 2005, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by BrettOZ
Ended up buying Tiger Server, just working through setting it up now

Thanks for the info though
Show off!

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2005, 01:38 PM

10.2 should be fine for basic web and filesharing.

10.2 is also more old-mac friendly than 10.3 or higher. It'll still do BootP (satic DHCP) for B&W G3s, iMacs, and PCI G4s that can't use NetBoot 2.0. In 10.3 and 10.4 you have to futs with the Machine Tree and manually enter in static IPs and enable NetBoot 1.0. It's a pain.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2005, 10:14 PM

I've got a 460 gig RAID 5 serving web and files to 40 clients via an Xserve 10.2. It works quite well, though I do want to upgrade just for the superior management tools in 10.4
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

Forum Links
Forum Rules