Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Installing OS X in an OLD beige Power Mac G3

Installing OS X in an OLD beige Power Mac G3
frdmfghtr
Senior User
Jun 12, 2007, 05:39 PM

The short and sweet: will OS X run on an old beige Power Mac G3, and if so, how do I install it?

The long version:

As a stop-gap measure, I want to install OS X Tiger on an old beige G3 with a 13 GB HD until a new iMac can be procured. I want to do this quickly to save data from a second old G3 before its hard drive permanently fails (it has a hard time starting already).

I've read so far that OS X won't install unless the CD-ROM is set up as the master drive and the HD is the slave drive (which I swap back once the installation is complete) and that the HD must have partitions no larger than 7.45 GB as reported by Disk Utility.

Is there anything else I need to know, or am I trying to revive a dead horse?

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2007, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by frdmfghtr View Post
or am I trying to revive a dead horse?
Yes.
Signature depreciated.

clebin
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 12, 2007, 06:16 PM

Ah, don't listen to him.

XPostFacto is the software you want and there's lots of intructions on that page.

I haven't tried it on my old Beige G3 yet (it's still running Jaguar) but I've decided to get some memory and a USB/Firewire card for the old thing. If accelerators weren't so expensive I'd probably get one of those too for the hell of it!

Chris

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2007, 07:00 PM

WAIT! If you want to save data from a drive that you suspect is failing, this is not the best way to proceed. You need to back up your drive immediately.

OreoCookie
Jun 12, 2007, 07:08 PM

If you know that your harddrive is failing. Don't touch the drive anymore. Back up all your data now onto a new, working drive!

Even if everything was working, don't bother putting 10.4 on that machine. Run a version of OS 9 or Linux on it, if you have to.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

clebin
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 13, 2007, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
If you know that your harddrive is failing. Don't touch the drive anymore. Back up all your data now onto a new, working drive!

Even if everything was working, don't bother putting 10.4 on that machine. Run a version of OS 9 or Linux on it, if you have to.
You've both got the wrong end of the stick. He's putting 10.4 on a fully working G3 to backup files from a SECOND G3 with a failing hard disk.

I installed Mandrake Linux on my G3 (with 128mb of RAM) sometime back, expecting performance to be good. In fact, while OS X was just about usable, Linux with KDE was completely unusable. Gnome or Enlightenment and more RAM might give you a better result, but Linux isn't the small optimised system it once was.

It isn't a simple install either, so I'd recommend going with OS X personally.

Chris

Forum Links
Forum Rules