Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Insider info from the WWDC sessions

Insider info from the WWDC sessions
conny
Forum Regular
Jun 27, 2003, 06:39 PM

Now we all know how Panther looks like and we have debated it for a couple of days. I think it looks very promising.
But what I'm even more interested in is all the little technical details that come up during the developer sessions. New APIs, anecdotes, performance improvements, future directions. Does anyone have any info to share from the sessions? Or does anyone know any blogs or articles from any developers that have been at WWDC?
I know this information is under NDA but that didn't stop Panther from getting out to the public.
I have heard things like Cocoa UI API being something totally new, how to programatically build a UI in Cocoa, not thru Interface Builder. I would like to know when (if) Apple is planning to relase a Advanced Video Codec (H.264) for mpeg4. There is some new SearchKit API, hopefully the same used for the new finder search.
Let's spill those beans...

The DJ
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 27, 2003, 07:22 PM

Originally posted by conny:
But what I'm even more interested in is all the little technical details that come up during the developer sessions. New APIs, anecdotes, performance improvements, future directions.
Yes, i was wondering the same thing actually.
I want some tech details

Derk-Jan Hartman, Student of the University Twente (NL), developer of VLC media player

conny  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 27, 2003, 07:45 PM

Here are some blogs from WWDC, doesn't give you much but some hints. Everyone is really hard on their NDA. Which I guess is good...

http://www.atomicbird.com/blog/
http://inessential.com/
http://www.scifihifi.com/weblog/wwdc2003
http://weblog.karelia.com/MacOSX
http://www.macnytt.com/diaries/index.lasso?rand=1532 (In swedish)

tikki
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2003, 11:00 AM

I really don't understand the purpose of the NDA to WWDC attendees. a) Developer tools are a free product b) We will all have them in short time

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

JLL
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2003, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by tikki:
I really don't understand the purpose of the NDA to WWDC attendees. a) Developer tools are a free product b) We will all have them in short time
The don't just talk about the developer tools.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2003, 11:56 AM

Are there any decent pics of the Apple Bash anywhere? My friend said that I'd not be allowed to take a camera in, only to see EVERYONE brought their camera

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2003, 04:11 PM

They are trying to make it a forward-looking conference with information about where Mac OS X is headed.

tikki
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2003, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by Angus_D:
They are trying to make it a forward-looking conference with information about where Mac OS X is headed.
It may be a forward looking conference, but I don't see what hte big difference is b/w spilling the beans on Panther (a forward looking OS) and Cocoa updates (a forward looking renovation to development stuff)

jguidroz
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 28, 2003, 07:11 PM

I got to listen to a couple of sessions for a few minutes through ichat, but the airport network has been bogged down and didn't seem to work all that well (at least the B network) when in the conference rooms. I should have news later on tonight when the guy gets back from WWDC.
B&W G3/300 OS X 10.3 Server
AL G4/1.5 OS X 10.3
Next computer G5/3.X Ghz OS X 10.x.x

Michel Fortin
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2003, 08:32 PM

It may be a forward looking conference, but I don't see what hte big difference is b/w spilling the beans on Panther (a forward looking OS) and Cocoa updates (a forward looking renovation to development stuff)
Maybe if all this information was public they would get less attendees...

tikki
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2003, 10:37 PM

Originally posted by Michel Fortin:
Maybe if all this information was public they would get less attendees...
good point, but there are still more sessions than the Cocoa State of the Union.

hamiltondj
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2003, 11:09 PM

I was at wwdc and I can tell you 2 things:

(1) wwdc is supposed to give developers an idea of both whats up for panther and what the direction will be beyond panther.

(2) Nobody (including myself) wants to break their NDA. It would be tough for me to distinguish what can be made public and what cannot. Thus, to be on the safe side, I decided to defer comments I make to the very general.

That being said, from what I have been able to see on the web, alot of information from wwdc has made it out through various sources. What's missing is nitty gritty details and, probably more importantly, description of the "forward thinking" statements.

All in all it was an excellent conference and I'm very encouraged. Its going to be an exciting time in the apple world over the next few months and years.

jetta_gt
Forum Regular
Jun 29, 2003, 12:01 AM

starman,

i brought my camera and made a 360 VR movie, it's pretty awesome, but as dumb as it sounds i probably won't post it anywhere, I am REALLY paranoid about my NDA, and wish to return to WWDC on scholarship next year...

jetta_gt

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2003, 05:09 PM

OK, I realize this is probably under NDA, but can anyone tell me anything about NSController? I've gotten little hints about it and it's driving me berserk not knowing what it does. If no one is allowed answer, that's ok.

smeger
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2003, 07:08 PM

Originally posted by Catfish_Man:
OK, I realize this is probably under NDA, but can anyone tell me anything about NSController? I've gotten little hints about it and it's driving me berserk not knowing what it does. If no one is allowed answer, that's ok.
I didn't go to WWDC and I'm not under NDA, so I can answer freely (but I don't know much). It seems that NSController is the rebirth of a sort of generic controller class that was in WebObjects. It automates a lot of the glue code that one needs to write in a controller class, saving you a lot of tediousness.

People seem really excited about it, so there's probably a bit more than just this.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

tikki
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2003, 08:30 PM

I am excited, and want some documentation. I didn't see any new documentation anywhere on ADC.

wadesworld
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 29, 2003, 10:44 PM

You too can learn everything that goes on at WWDC.

Simply pay $500 a year for a select membership, and $1,500 or so for the DVD set.

Why so much? Because if they gave the info away cheaply, nobody would show up at WWDC, and they'd have wasted millions.

Wade

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 30, 2003, 09:25 AM

I am excited, and want some documentation. I didn't see any new documentation anywhere on ADC.
There's a ton of documentation and sample code for seed users. What kind of account do you have? Free/Select/Premiere?

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

tikki
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2003, 11:21 AM

Originally posted by starman:
There's a ton of documentation and sample code for seed users. What kind of account do you have? Free/Select/Premiere?

Mike
Student

Forum Links
Forum Rules