Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Optus Australia activations = major delay

Optus Australia activations = major delay
simonjames
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2008, 05:22 AM

It is over 3 days since I bought an iPhone 3G and I am still waiting on activation with Optus

I've tried calling 4 times (30+ minute calls) with no luck - they couldn't even find the online lodging of the service.

So today I go to an Optus store and a guy there tells me I should expect to wait another 3 days!

At least my credit card hasn't been charged and my old service still works (but not in the locked iPhone) but he suggested the billing date for the plan will be the date I purchased the phone and not when it becomes active - not overly happy about that as all I currently have is the equivalent of an iPod Touch.

Anyone else experiencing port delays with Optus and other carriers?
this sig intentionally left blank

MartiNZ
Senior User
Jul 13, 2008, 03:56 PM

Vodafone NZ has had a few cases like me ... Similar except that mine is activated, but still unable to connect to phone service, apparently due to the mishandling of transferring sim cards off prepay onto iPhone contracts.

I was told just to keep trying every few hours, turning the phone off and on, and they suggested '48 working hours' which was kind of annoying with release so close to the weekend! My prepay sim on my old phone did stop working so I've been without a phone completely since buying the iPhone ... Slightly ironically. Hopefully sorted some time this week.

Meantime, indeed, go the incredibly expensive iPod Touch !

simonjames  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2008, 03:19 AM

try ejecting the sim every now and again - I know you have a different problem with a different carrier but it worked for me.
this sig intentionally left blank

thirsty
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 15, 2008, 10:46 AM

are you an existing Optus Customer or were you having your number ported from another carrier... say Telstra

I'm with Vodafone.... did the upgrade and was working within minutes.
if you can't be part of the solution don't be part of the problem!!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules