Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > how come some applications do not support landscape view?

how come some applications do not support landscape view?
mindwaves
Jul 13, 2008, 12:20 PM

like mail and notes? I find it much easier to type on my new iPhone with that view as I am doing right now.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2008, 01:17 PM

Because the programmers didn't bother... consistency is not Apple's forte.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2008, 02:19 PM

They just aren't designed to do so. It might be easier, but it's also additional code. My guess is Apple wants to keep the base OS as small as possible so you can buy more 3rd party apps, therefore generating them more revenue.

MartiNZ
Senior User
Jul 13, 2008, 04:08 PM

That seems an annoying but likely reasoning. I think a lot of things will come solely from 3rd party apps... Eventually. But small adjustments to built-in programs shouldn't be on that list IMO. This phone costs enough already thanks!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2008, 04:32 PM

Because Apple thinks those apps are best viewed in portrait mode.

Regarding consistency, just FTR there is not one single OS manufacturer out there more dedicated to consistency than Apple. It's the one thing OS X does better than any other *NIX flavor . And obviously Windows or any of the phone OS don't even need to be mentioned here. Apple's software isn't always as consistent as we'd like, yet that changes nothing about the fact that in terms of consistency Apple leads the way.

Personally, I don't care so much about viewing everything in landscape. What I do miss is sometimes not being able to use the wide keyboard.
( Last edited by Simon; Jul 14, 2008 at 03:36 AM. )

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2008, 05:00 PM

One of the major complaints is there's no landscape mode in mail or text mode. That was true for the first gen as well as the new phones.

We can only hope some near update offers us those things (and copy-and-paste).
( Last edited by Randman; Jul 14, 2008 at 03:45 AM. )

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2008, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by Randman View Post
One of the major complaints is there's no landscape mode in mail or text mode. That was true for the first gen as well as the new phones.

We can only home some near update offers us those things (and copy-and-paste).
I agree with both points. In mail or text mode I'd like to have the wider keyboard. And obviously copy/paste needs to come to the iPhone. I don't really care how, but it needs to be there. Oh well, it will be added eventually I'm sure.

Forum Links
Forum Rules