Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Windows Media Player for X

Windows Media Player for X
conny
Forum Regular
Nov 7, 2001, 03:34 AM

I know there is a beta floating around but have anybody heard when Microsoft is planning to release the final. Simultanously with Office? I don't really like WMP but some sites only offers media readable by WMP. Any clues?

dtriska
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2001, 03:58 AM

Originally posted by conny:
<STRONG>I know there is a beta floating around but have anybody heard when Microsoft is planning to release the final. Simultanously with Office? I don't really like WMP but some sites only offers media readable by WMP. Any clues?</STRONG>
http://newforums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/u...&f=37&t=001260

The rumours are that Office v. X will be released November 18 or 19 (seeing as the 18th is a Sunday, it's probably the 19th or earlier).

The rumours continue that Windows Media Player is supposed to be released around the same time as Office v. X, and will be version 8, not 7.

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2001, 04:06 AM

nevermind... I misunderstood the original poster's comment. It's too late at night for me...

[ 11-07-2001: Message edited by: starfleetX ]
The server made a boo boo. (403)

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2001, 04:20 AM

A friend of mine's uncle's pets original owner, told my sisters boyfriends friend that WMP is going to ship with office X and will be available for download the same day (19th).... well thats what I heard.

Nick

karbon
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 2001, 06:56 AM

Originally posted by conny:
<STRONG>I know there is a beta floating around but have anybody heard when Microsoft is planning to release the final. Simultanously with Office? I don't really like WMP but some sites only offers media readable by WMP. Any clues?</STRONG>
I am not sure, but personally I think Microsoft will not release it until we have a new version of Internet Explorer. And the Mac platform really needs a new version of Internet Explorer now (there has only been very minor updates during the last two years). We need an IE that supports autocomplete in forms, has great java-support, handles certificates better, that's better multithreaded, is faster and does better html-rendering which will be similar to the windows version.

So, when Internet Explorer 6.0 is ready I think we'll see Windows Media Player at the same time, which will be fully integrated with it, as it is on the windows side.

Just my 2 cents!
[email protected]
"In the long run we're all dead" - Keynes

naden
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 2001, 07:27 AM

Ahhh hello ...

Microsoft during that time carbonised what is quite a large app to be porting to OSX.

Give them some credit.

Mafoo
Nov 7, 2001, 08:25 AM

I saw a beta of Windows media player for OS X at MacWorld NY this summer and its quite impressive. It has an Aqua compliant interface that is non intrusive. Comparing it to WMP for the PC i think that it is a conciderably better product.

--Mafoo

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2001, 09:42 AM

The Beta I 'aquired' crashes if you go into full screen and also resising does not work...

But apart from that it looks good

Cheers Edd

Forum Links
Forum Rules