Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Firewall in StartupItems

Firewall in StartupItems
conny
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2002, 02:18 PM

I was going thru my StartupItems folder to clean up some stuff. I have a folder in there called "Firewall", I can't remember if I installed it or if it comes with MacOS X. Do you have it in there and does anybody know if that comes with the OS installation?

I also have Norton Presonal Firwall in there, and I don't need two firewalls....

BTP
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2002, 02:48 PM

Yes. OS X has a firewall. It probably isn't as easy to configure as Norton Personal Firewall, but it's there. If you did want to use it, you could configure it with Brickhouse, an app that just configures the OS X firewall.
A lie can go halfway around the world before the truth even gets its boots on. - Mark Twain

iSore
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2002, 03:05 PM

I'm under the impression that configuring the firewall X inherited from BSD (the ipfw rules) provides greater security that NPF. Something about ports running in "stealth" mode... maybe someone less clueless than myself could clear this up...
"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

-- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

dont.wanna.tell
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2002, 06:51 PM

I�m also not completely cluefull.. Sorry on that.

But as far as I do understand it its this way:
Norton Personal Firewall ist just what the name reads. A personal firewall. And while I haven�t used it I do understand it that way, that it allows you to specifically set _which_ application gets access to the internet.

Plus that it allows for some filtering rules.

The BSD-style firewall built in to macos X on the other hand is completely the "real" thing. Its a complete firewall, meant to secure a hole network. This way its not so easy to impossible to disallow specific applications the internet acces.

But on the other hand its meant to filter network traffic by type of traffic. And its verry good on that.

So your best bet may be to somehow combine the two things. But sorry, I dont know any further information on this.

Martin

yukon
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2002, 08:50 PM

enter the help of a frontend? anyone?
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

The DJ
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 21, 2002, 10:05 PM

Originally posted by conny:
<STRONG>I was going thru my StartupItems folder to clean up some stuff. I have a folder in there called "Firewall", I can't remember if I installed it or if it comes with MacOS X. Do you have it in there and does anybody know if that comes with the OS installation?

I also have Norton Presonal Firwall in there, and I don't need two firewalls....</STRONG>
Which startupitems folder, the one in /System/Library or the one in /Library?
I have no Firewall in the first, so it is not standard. You must have downloaded a firewall like Brickhouse or Firewall X once and used it.

DJ

Derk-Jan Hartman, Student of the University Twente (NL), developer of VLC media player

conny  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2002, 11:13 PM

Originally posted by The DJ:
<STRONG>

Which startupitems folder, the one in /System/Library or the one in /Library?
I have no Firewall in the first, so it is not standard. You must have downloaded a firewall like Brickhouse or Firewall X once and used it.

DJ</STRONG>
That's exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks. I was talking about /Library/StartupItems. All Apple stuff should be in /Syste/Lib...., that's why I was suspicious. I probably installed Brickhouse or something...

Forum Links
Forum Rules