Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > World Community Grid?

World Community Grid?
Andrew F
May 24, 2006, 02:16 PM

I noticed that World Community Grid now has a Mac client for their FightAids@home project.

Does anyone know if this is a BOINC app, or if it's a stand-alone app?

The site mentions a download of their software, and doesn't use the language of "attach to a project." But mention that if you're a BOINC user... and it links to a registration page. Anyone know?

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org

tony.escobar
May 24, 2006, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew F
I noticed that World Community Grid now has a Mac client for their FightAids@home project.

Does anyone know if this is a BOINC app, or if it's a stand-alone app?

-snip-
It's a BOINC project, according to the BOINC home page.

QS

liebsmaschine
May 26, 2006, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by QSilver
It's a BOINC project, according to the BOINC home page.
Yes, it's BOINC. I registered for the WCG several months ago but suspended it in my BOINC client. On a fluke, I recently resumed the project, and when it didn't error out, I realized that there was now a Mac worker for it. So yes, it works.

*CONTROVERSIAL OPINION ALERT*
I don't have WCG set to a very high share while it's running the AIDS worker because I think the best way to limit (and hopefully eradicate) AIDS is to educate people that monogamous sexual contact is the best, and so my opinion is that the project is a poor use of my computer's time. However, I understand that it is difficult to educate an entire continent of people who are not very well connected to mass media and the Internet (and who have bigger worries in life than bandwidth caps and Net Neutrality laws), and so it may be better to actually try to find a cure for AIDS. I'm skeptical that will ever happen, though, and I'm of the mindset that our money, time and other resources are better spent finding cures for diseases, especially genetic diseases, that can't be protected against--like cancer--which is why I support projects like Rosetta@home, Folding@home, and Predictor@home.
*/CONTROVERSIAL OPINION ALERT*

Forum Links
Forum Rules