Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Moving to Japan - how to change locale on airport?

Moving to Japan - how to change locale on airport?
winternj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2006, 12:41 PM

A friend of mine is moving to Japan and I am helping get him ready for it. The 802.11b/g standard in the USA is a little different than in Europe and Japan, where there are a couple of extra channels (and i think the channel spacing might be a litle different too).

Does anyone know how to change the Locale from USA to Worldwide or Japan on both the Airport card in a powerbook/macbook, and on the airport extreme base station?

Thanks.

ibook_steve
Mar 14, 2006, 02:40 PM

This is news to me. It's not called a "standard" for nothing. I've been to Taiwan with zero problems with Airport. You might be thinking of how cell phones use different systems in different countries, but I've never heard of different wireless networking in different countries. Link?

Steve

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 14, 2006, 03:34 PM

I've used my powerbook on wifi networks in Europe, North America and Asia without any problems at all (also with my Airport Express). There are no 'country' settings to change on an Airport Extreme or any other Airport base station, or in your powerbook's airport settings.

schmoe
Forum Regular
Mar 14, 2006, 05:02 PM

The available channels differ per country, see http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58567. I thought there was a way to specify the country in the basestation configuration tools, but don't have them handy to try.

ibook_steve
Mar 14, 2006, 05:15 PM

Since channels 1 to 11 are common for everybody, why even worry about it? Just use 1 to 11 everywhere.

Steve

winternj  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2006, 07:34 PM

Because the computer may be used where the access point is set to channel 12-14?

Because there may be excessive interference on channels 1-11 in a densely populated city like Tokyo?

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 14, 2006, 08:38 PM

Take from my PB bought last November in Japan. Is there any way to specify the Locale and change it?
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

NyssaG
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2006, 09:08 PM

This is news to me too. I used to live in Europe - travelled throughout several countries in Europe - have been to the US and am now living in South America, and never had any trouble with the wifi standards....

mad cow disease
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 14, 2006, 11:33 PM

I'm currently in Tokyo and the city definitely isn't as wifi-friendly as many American cities I've been to. Regardless, I have had NO problems picking up a signal using my US-based Powerbook.

mad cow disease
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 14, 2006, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by winternj
Because the computer may be used where the access point is set to channel 12-14?

Because there may be excessive interference on channels 1-11 in a densely populated city like Tokyo?
You won't have any trouble with "excessive interference" here. Trust me. Nobody is lugging around a laptop over here - it is a majority cellphone-based culture.

winternj  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2006, 12:03 AM

OK, i'm not saying that it wont work at all. What I am saying is that there are extra channels available in japan that aren't available here, and if I am in a place where the base station is configured on channels 12-14, I won't be able to use it. I'd like to be able to change the settings when I travel so I can. In the PC world it's generally been a configuration option if you look for it, what regulatory locale you are in should be configurable....

vinster
Senior User
Mar 15, 2006, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by winternj
A friend of mine is moving to Japan and I am helping get him ready for it. The 802.11b/g standard in the USA is a little different than in Europe and Japan, where there are a couple of extra channels (and i think the channel spacing might be a litle different too).

Does anyone know how to change the Locale from USA to Worldwide or Japan on both the Airport card in a powerbook/macbook, and on the airport extreme base station?

Thanks.
The number of available channels is a regulatory issue so there's no user-accessible way to change those settings. They're probably set somewhere in read-ony memory. Apple's taking the safe route since PC cards that allow this functionality and improperly used could come into question by the authorities, however unlikely that might be.

From your post, it appears your friend's taking both the computer and a base station so there should be no incompatibility w/ that setup. I also doubt your friend will experience problems with any regularity in a public setting. If so, he can always ask the administrator at a school, internet cafe, etc. to change the channel of the wireless access point if access is that critical.

An alternative would be to buy a new wireless card and access point in Japan. He could purchase and install the card himself, if he's technically inclined, or ask an authorized Apple service center to do it for him (I'm not sure if Apple Japan would do this type of work but a service center would probably do it).

Good luck.

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 15, 2006, 01:46 AM

Yes, you really really don't see a lot of people carrying around a laptop with them in Japan. It's all cellphones.
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

mactopsuit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2006, 02:11 AM

I've heard of the additional channels being available possibility but with my current non-japanese PB, it works fine picking up WiFi signals in Tokyo.
[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]Celestine Collins, Realising Doodles | MacTopsuit | http://www.celestinecollins.com/[/FONT]

Forum Links
Forum Rules