Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Where are you from?

Where are you from?
nonhuman
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2003, 11:45 PM

Ok, I got into this discussion with my girlfriend earlier tonight and am curious what other people think. If you live somewhere other than where you were born, which place are you from? Case in point: I was born in New Jersey. I lived there for 10 years, then we moved to California. Lived in California for 8 years and now I'm at college in Minnesota (and have been here for almost 3 years). Would you say I'm from New Jersey or from California? Usually when people ask me where I'm from I say that I live in California, if they ask me to specify I say I'm from New Jersey, but now live in California. Sarah (my girlfriend), however, disagrees. She says that I'm from California because that's where I live. Had I only lived in New Jersey for a very small portion of my life I would agree with her, but I spent most of my life there, and certainly more time than anywhere else.

So, which place am I from?

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2003, 11:49 PM

I know how you feel. I was born in Iceland and lived here for 5-6 years before my family moved to Sweden. I lived there until recently when I moved back to Iceland.

You should just answer that you are from the place you feel most like home. I do that when people ask me where I'm from. When I'm asked I say Sweden

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

Nicko
Professional Poster
May 17, 2003, 11:58 PM

Earth

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2003, 12:13 AM

Vell, I vas bohn in Chermany, und vee kame ofer to zis kuntry (America), in nineteen hoondert fifty zree, ven I vas chust a schmall boy off six yearz oldt! I've lived in 7 different cities in Michigan since coming over, so I guess I'm a Michiganian!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

CaseCom
Professional Poster
May 18, 2003, 12:17 AM

I was born in Tacoma, Wash., in 1969 and we moved to Minnesota a year later. When I was in college I always said I was from Minnesota.

I suppose if it had been the other way around, spent 17 years in Washington then my senior year of high school in Minnesota, then I don't know.

It all becomes less relevant after college anyway ... when I lived in Milwaukee in my 20s, I was from Milwaukee ... but sometimes people would ask where I was originally from, and then I said Minnesota (never mind that Tacoma thing).

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2003, 05:54 PM

Born in North Dakota, moved to Minnesota, moved back to North Dakota, then again to Minnesota...i just say i am from Minnesota cause North Dakota just didn't do it for me

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Zimphire
Baninated
May 18, 2003, 05:56 PM

I was born in Willoughby, Ohio. It's about 10-20 miles east of Cleveland.

boots
Professional Poster
May 18, 2003, 05:57 PM

I say I'm from Michigan via Texas.

The midwest shaped too much of who I am to claim anything other than Michigan, even though I haven't lived there for nearly 10 years.

If Heaven has a dress code, I'm walkin to Hell in my Tony Lamas.

Swiss Bob
Dedicated MacNNer
May 18, 2003, 06:01 PM

In my mind, you're from where you spent your formative years (probably where you went through high school).

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
May 18, 2003, 06:08 PM

i've never lived more than about 10 miles away from the Liver Buildings, which provide Liverpool with it's name
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

MindFad
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2003, 06:17 PM

Miami, FL, born and raised, down in the US's wang, right around where teh foreskin area would be, I guess. Been out of the state twice. Miami sucks. I plan on moving after school. If not out of FL, at least out of Miami.

Stubie
Forum Regular
May 18, 2003, 06:17 PM

I left Florida when I was 7, and seeing as I can vote just fine, I tend to just say I'm from Chicago.
Devsyn Development Studio: it tastes great and goes down smooth!

voodoo
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2003, 06:20 PM

Icelandic, with 99% Norwegian genes. I'm from Earth.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
May 18, 2003, 07:07 PM

I was born in Cardiff, Wales, and lived there until I was about 4.

I then lived in London for 10 Years, before moving back to Cardiff for a further 4 years.

Since then I have lived in (for more than 6 months), in order:

Bristol, Cardiff (again), Manchester, Hertfordshire... and finally Liverpool... which feels like home!

Despite all of this however, I will always be from Cardiff...

willed
Professional Poster
May 18, 2003, 07:22 PM

Born: Birmingham QEII hospital. Lived in Worcestershire until I was 12.
Moved to Somerset, nr. Taunton.
At 16 moved to East Somerset, nr. Bath
Now at Uni in Oxford. First time I've lived in a city (if you can really call it that. It's like a big tourist attraction really).

I think I'd care more if I came from a city - the countryside doesn't really have that much of an identity if you see what I mean.

All I know is that I'm not Northern :shudders at the thought:

:XI:
Mac Elite
May 18, 2003, 08:20 PM

/me closes one eye, points to the stars and tries to find where he is from.

erm, There.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2003, 09:29 PM

I'm from Minnesota and still feel that way, even though I haven't lived there since 1987.

My wife thinks I'm a New Yorker, but I say you can take the boy outta 'hota, but you can't take 'hota outta the boy.

My wife is more like nonhuman. She was raised first in NYC and then in LA, then back to NYC but then back to LA for high school, out east for college but back to LA in her twenties, but now living w/me in New York.

She says when she's in LA she's from New York and vhen she's here she feels a little from LA.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2003, 09:41 PM

Originally posted by Timo:

My wife is more like nonhuman.
Hm. Does that mean she has to shave every morning (but doesn't)

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2003, 09:53 PM

'66 - '72: London (UK)
'72 - '76: Peterborough (UK)
'76 - '86: Perth (Australia)
'86 - '99: Sydney
'99 - Now: Perth

I went to high school in Perth. I currently live in Perth. I guess I'm from Perth.

Apart from the slow people, I like it here.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2003, 09:59 PM

Originally posted by voodoo:

Dude, keep it up and my wife is going to lower the boom and cut off my...internet privileges.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2003, 10:05 PM

Originally posted by Timo:
Dude, keep it up and my wife is going to lower the boom and cut off my...internet privileges.
ay ay ay! hey ok, just send her over to me I'll smoothtalk her.. yea, see. *wince*

:�

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2003, 10:14 PM

Originally posted by voodoo:

Hey! I shave every morning! Well, every weekday morning, and sometimes even every weekend morning. Unless I didn't sleep that night. If I haven't slept, I couldn't care less.

dampeoples
Mac Elite
May 18, 2003, 10:14 PM

Born in Raleigh, NC, moved to Sumpter, SC, moved to Oxon Hill, MD, moved to Tryon, NC, moved back to Oxon Hill, MD, moved to SE DC, moved to Apple Valley, CA, moved to Huntington Beach, CA, moved back to Raleigh, NC.
I'm from Raleigh.

DesignerTerp
Dedicated MacNNer
May 18, 2003, 11:22 PM

Originally posted by dampeoples:
Born in Raleigh, NC, moved to Sumpter, SC, moved to Oxon Hill, MD, moved to Tryon, NC, moved back to Oxon Hill, MD, moved to SE DC, moved to Apple Valley, CA, moved to Huntington Beach, CA, moved back to Raleigh, NC.
I'm from Raleigh.
That's funny, my mom is from Tryon! My great-grandfather had a hosiery mill down there.

I'm from..here.
DC Metro area (MD), had a brief stint out west only to find out I'm more of an East Coast kinda gal, so I came back. And here I am.

Kilbey
Baninated
May 18, 2003, 11:34 PM

Originally posted by Swiss Bob:
In my mind, you're from where you spent your formative years (probably where you went through high school).
My wife would agree. She was born in Cincinatti, OH and lived there 12 years. Moved to Chicago for 1 year. Then, moved to Rochester, MI for a year. And then, moved to Traverse City, MI for High School. Then, moved to Kalalmazoon, MI for college. Now she lives in Durand, MI. If anyone asks her she says she was born in Cincinatti but is from Traverse City.

I was born 10 miles away from where I live now, and only moved away for 2.5 years to go to college. I am from Durand, MI.

Nicko
Professional Poster
May 18, 2003, 11:43 PM

Alberta > London, England > Nassau, Bahamas > Ontario > Northwest Territories > British Columbia > in two months, Nigeria

So I'm Canadian but not from any one specific place, so I stick with Earth

talisker
Mac Elite
May 18, 2003, 11:51 PM

1969-1993 Mostly Scotland (Edinburgh and a couple of small towns), with year long excursions to Australia and New Zealand.

1993-1995 Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England (way-aye man)

1995-1999 London

1999-2001 Edinburgh

2001-Now Auckland, New Zealand

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2003, 12:06 AM

Lima-Spokane-Longview-Tampa, by myself

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
May 19, 2003, 12:38 AM

born and grew up in toronto....moved to victoria in 1990. when i go back to toronto now, it does not feel like i am going home at all - i look forward to really coming "home" to victoria....i feel like this is where i belong right now.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2003, 01:44 AM

"Oranges and Lemons",
a medieval nursery rhyme. Always loved that one, detailing the great churches of The City and the east end.

Go up and go down
To the bells of London town
Bull's eyes and targets
Say the bells of St Margret's
Brickbats and tiles
Say the bells of St Giles'
Oranges and lemons
Say the bells of St Clement's

Pancakes and fritters
Say the bells of St Peter's
Two sticks and an apple
Say the bells of Whitechapel
Old Father Baldpate
Say the slow bells at Aldgate
Maids in white aprons
Say the bells at St Catherine's

Pokers and tongs
Say the bells of St Johns
Kettles and pans
Say the bells of St Anne's
Halfpence and farthings
Say the bells of St Martin's
When will you pay me?
Say the bells of Old Bailey
When I grow rich
Say the bells at Shoreditch
Pray, when will that be?
Say the bells of Stepney
I do not know
Says the great bell at Bow

Although I wasn't born in London I have spend most of my life there. London is a little bit like the US inasmuch anybody can become a Londoner purely by virtue of living there and making it home.
Other places I've lived for more than a year: Duesseldorf, New Orleans, Toronto, Hamburg.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 19, 2003, 03:13 AM

Tokyo --> Hong Kong --> Mannheim (what a culture shock - ugh!) --> Kobe, Japan (high school) --> Heidelberg --> Hamburg.

Kobe's where I spent my formative years, but not much of that town is left the way I knew it (since the big earthquake)...

Hamburg feels most like home (been here ten years now).

-s*

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2003, 08:33 AM

Born in Zimbabwe then my family moved to South Africa. i lived there until around 3 years ago, when i decided to go to london. haved lived between london and florida for the past year now.

Mars_Attacks
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2003, 08:53 AM

Extreme South Georgia.
Ewwww, don't touch it. Here,
poke at it with this stick.

gadster
Mac Elite
May 19, 2003, 09:20 AM

Syd-en-ey. Never lived more than 20k from the CBD. Have been to Brisbane once, and Fiji. That's it. Bit sheltered? But what a shelter!
e-gads

bleuvixen
Mac Enthusiast
May 19, 2003, 09:25 AM

I was born in Costa Rica moved when i was 2 spent the rest of my life up till now in Stuart,FL. I still say i'm Costa Rican.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
May 19, 2003, 09:25 AM

( Last edited by daimoni; Jul 11, 2004 at 02:11 AM. )

dencamp
Senior User
May 19, 2003, 09:36 AM

IN three decades, I have lived in 16 places. I moved 16 months after I was born, so I don't consider that home. I usually think of Oregon as home because my entire extended family is there.

Two steps forward (six steps back)

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2003, 09:43 AM

Not including residences under a year:
Worcester, MA--> Bristol, RI--> Warren, RI--> NYC--> Bristol, RI--> Warren, RI--> Barrington, RI--> Augusta, ME--> Rutland, MA--> Leicester, MA... where I am staying until the mortage is paid.

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2003, 10:09 AM

I lived in San Francisco continuously until I was 8, then my mom and stepdad took out upon the period of my life known as "the peregrinations," between the ages of 8 and 18. It looked something like this:

When i got out of high school, I got off the boat, and have stayed put in Austin ever since, some 25 years, now.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

andi*pandi
May 19, 2003, 10:39 AM

I am from Maine. I live in Massachusetts. I suppose if I live here another five years, I will have to say I am from Massachusetts.

There's "from" and "originally from."

Then you can get more general and just say New England. That covers everything.

Originally posted by maxelson:
Not including residences under a year:
Augusta, ME--
wha? did not know that. So, how did you like the fair city? My grandparents live/d there.

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2003, 10:52 AM

Well, I SORTA lived in Augusta. I actually lived in Kents Hill- 20 miles westish. At the school there. I was the TD. Job nearly killed me. "The way life should be" my ass.

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

nvaughan3
Mac Elite
May 19, 2003, 11:06 AM

I got all yall beat. Born in Kansas City, MO. Moved to Houston, TX when 6 mo. old. Moved to San Antonio when I was 8. Moved to Leawood, KS when I was 12. Then Overland Park, KS a year later. At 14, Wilmette, IL. Then onto Cornwall-on-Hudson, NY for about 3 months. Then back to IL for 6 months. Then I moved to Provo, Utah for about 18 months. After utah, it was Hinsdale IL for about a year. Then on to Costa Rica for 4 months. Then Athens, OH for 5 years, punctuated by brief stays in Pittsburgh and Mansfield, OH for about 4 months each. Then back to Hinsdale, IL. Then on to St. Joseph, MI, where I am now.

Am im not even a military brat.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2003, 11:31 AM

I usually say that I was born in Middletown, Ohio which is half way between Cincinnati & Dayton. Lived there till I was 26 when I entered the Air Force. Moved to Nebraska in 1974 where I was stationed at Offutt AFB near Omaha. I ended up living there for 10 years. We moved to Boston in 1984 because my wife wanted to live near her parents! I'm a native of Ohio a Buckeye. Now that I've been in Boston almost 20 years, guess that qualifies me a being from Boston also!

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

dampeoples
Mac Elite
May 19, 2003, 11:41 AM

Originally posted by DesignerTerp:
That's funny, my mom is from Tryon! My great-grandfather had a hosiery mill down there.
Man, Tryon is too small to find people from there
My dad's actually the Mayor there now.
I also have an uncle that works in the UofM library, very small world

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2003, 11:47 AM

The maxim is: Home is where your heart is. I was born in Brooklyn, lived in CT for 8 years, Upstate NY for 5, Michigan for 1, MA for 5, Florida for 10 years now I am back in MA.

Home for me is New England, Massachusetts mostly. This is where I consider myself at home.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

D'Espice
Mac Elite
May 19, 2003, 11:52 AM

I rule all: Born in Chicago, IL. Moved to Naples, FL at age 10, moved to Munich, Germany at age 12, moved back to Chicago at age 16 then back to Munich at age 17.

And now I'm still here and I'm probably gonna grow old in Munich.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

designbc
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2003, 01:33 PM

Born in Havana, Cuba. Lived there for 34 years. Then I moved to Miami in 1998.
There is no spoon

dreilly1
Mac Elite
May 19, 2003, 01:41 PM

I lived in NYC until college, went to college in Buffalo, grad school in Pittsburgh, then got a job in Rochester, NY (and I'm still here).

I live in Rochester but I'm from New York City. I know that I'm a city boy at heart because I see dandelions all over my suburban lawn, and I just don't give a damn!

Forum Links
Forum Rules