Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Do you thinkg the Boy Scouts Should Exclude Gays and Atheists?

View Poll Results: Do you think the Scouts should exclude gays and atheists?
Poll Options:
Yes they are a private organization and can do what they like 66 votes (47.48%)
No, Everyone should get equal opportunity 53 votes (38.13%)
If the person is a good leader I don't see why they should exclude them 18 votes (12.95%)
Not sure 2 votes (1.44%)
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll
Do you thinkg the Boy Scouts Should Exclude Gays and Atheists? (Page 2)
deekay1
Mac Elite
May 20, 2003, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by talisker:
[Devils Advocate] So is it OK for a private organisation to exclude blacks if it wants to? [/Devils Advocate]
yes, its called economic fascism. as long as you have the money, you don't have to abide by the law and/or democratic principles.

hedonist, anarchist, agnostic, mac enthusiast and a strong believer in evolution and the yellow m&m conspiracy

Nicko
Professional Poster
May 20, 2003, 04:56 PM

Originally posted by deekay1:
yes, its called economic fascism. as long as you have the money, you don't have to abide by the law and/or democratic principles.

Oh thats it is it?.... well time to petition the WTO!

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2003, 05:02 PM

Hey star wars guy? Would you have sex with me? Probably not I'm not terribly attractive, and since you have a boy friend from what I understand, you're probably not likely to have sex with me. Thus excluding me from having sex with you. YOU HATEFUL HATEFUL PERSON!

You can be a Christian and not hate gays. If you do hate gays you're probably not a Christian. Do the boy scouts have the right to stop leaders from being gay or atheist... heck yeah. I wouldn't want to send my kid to learn religious ideas from someone who will tell them stuff I think is absolute bunk! Who would? Would you send your kids to a Christian church for VBS? Probably not. Parents are supposed to keep their kids from things they think will be harmful to them.
I am not likely to bring my son or daughter once I have kids, to a gay bar to play with the go go dancers either.
The scouts should deffinately be allowed to teach the kids whatever the heck they want so long as it's not against the law. Should they teach something? Possibly not. Personally I'd never exclude anyone who's gay from attending a bible study I'd lead... it's not like they'd be likely to start hitting on the people at the meetings so what's the harm? And while right now we don't have any gay students interested in attending my school's Christian group, we do have three non christians comming out regularly who don't feel hated and who actually enjoy hanging out with us.

talisker
Mac Elite
May 20, 2003, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by Superchic[k]en:
Hey star wars guy? Would you have sex with me? Probably not I'm not terribly attractive, and since you have a boy friend from what I understand, you're probably not likely to have sex with me. Thus excluding me from having sex with you. YOU HATEFUL HATEFUL PERSON!

You can be a Christian and not hate gays. If you do hate gays you're probably not a Christian. Do the boy scouts have the right to stop leaders from being gay or atheist... heck yeah. I wouldn't want to send my kid to learn religious ideas from someone who will tell them stuff I think is absolute bunk! Who would? Would you send your kids to a Christian church for VBS? Probably not. Parents are supposed to keep their kids from things they think will be harmful to them.
I am not likely to bring my son or daughter once I have kids, to a gay bar to play with the go go dancers either.
The scouts should deffinately be allowed to teach the kids whatever the heck they want so long as it's not against the law. Should they teach something? Possibly not. Personally I'd never exclude anyone who's gay from attending a bible study I'd lead... it's not like they'd be likely to start hitting on the people at the meetings so what's the harm? And while right now we don't have any gay students interested in attending my school's Christian group, we do have three non christians comming out regularly who don't feel hated and who actually enjoy hanging out with us.
Why do you bring up the example of "go go dancers" in a gay bar, when gay people are mentioned? Surely you wouldnt want to take your kids to see the female strippers in a "straight" strip club either, so presumably the scouts shouldnt employ straight people as leaders either.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
May 20, 2003, 05:16 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
What kid knows he is gay at 6?
What kid really, truly, knows whether he believes in god or not at such an early age?

Chris

kmkkid
Professional Poster
May 20, 2003, 05:23 PM

How is having a gay/atheist boy scout leader going to affect any of their beliefs? If I remember correctly from my time with scouts, we hardly ever talked about god/church and never about our sexual preferences. We had fun doing boy things (camping, survival skills.. etc), like all boys should do. It's people like you with closed minds that corrupt this world more and more everyday, and make false pretenses and accusations against certain groups of being something they never set out to be. It's a shame.

Chris

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2003, 05:24 PM

I nominate this for the stupidest most pointless post ever!

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

kmkkid
Professional Poster
May 20, 2003, 05:27 PM

Thats a tough one, considering all of his posts fall into that category.

Chris

talisker
Mac Elite
May 20, 2003, 05:29 PM

Originally posted by kmkkid:
How is having a gay/atheist boy scout leader going to affect any of their beliefs? If I remember correctly from my time with scouts, we hardly ever talked about god/church and never about our sexual preferences. We had fun doing boy things (camping, survival skills.. etc), like all boys should do. It's people like you with closed minds that corrupt this world more and more everyday, and make false pretenses and accusations against certain groups of being something they never set out to be. It's a shame.

Chris
Exactly - you don't send your kid to scouts to learn about God. You send them to church, bible class, sunday school whatever. In these places it would probably be innapropriate to have an athiest teaching them, but in the scouts I don't see why it matters. It's like being concerned that most woodwork teachers don't believe in the power of modern dance.

simonjames
Mac Elite
May 20, 2003, 06:12 PM

Damn Straight

lets not stop at gays and atheists - Blacks, Asians, Jews, Muslims and left handers should also be excluded!

And you think a private organisation could get away with racial discrimination? I don't think so.

Any discrimination should be banned by law but no, not in the States. Most western countries I can think of have passed laws like this but the people who run the Land of the Free still find it acceptable to lynch gay people up to fences and bash the crap out of them until they're dead.

Good One USA - set an example for the rest of the world.
this sig intentionally left blank

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
May 20, 2003, 06:43 PM

Originally posted by simonjames:
Any discrimination should be banned by law but no, not in the States. Most western countries I can think of have passed laws like this but the people who run the Land of the Free still find it acceptable to lynch gay people up to fences and bash the crap out of them until they're dead.
So no all-male or all-female schools then? What about all-male and all-female prisons? Are those out too?

And it's hardly acceptable to lynch gay people in the US. Laws and regulations aren't going to stop people from being bigotted and racist.

PowerPC 970
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2003, 07:10 PM

Originally posted by Nicko:
WOW racism is insidious indeed.

(racism/bigotry: same thing)
Well, yes. If you're a private club you can do whatever you want.

Same reason why a black college can refuse to not admit white people.

Swiss Bob
Dedicated MacNNer
May 20, 2003, 07:20 PM

Any discrimination should be banned by law
That's crap. It's the right of everyone in a free country to hang out with whoever they please. If they choose not to hang out with gays, straights, people with blonde hair, people who drive Neons, etc, etc, then that's their perogative.

Where is all of this non-discrimination PC stuff going anyways?

Am I going to have to sleep with an ugly bird or a guy every time I want to sleep with a gorgeous gal because to do otherwise would be discriminatory?

Am I going to have to like everyone, because to do otherwise would be discriminatory?

Am I going to have to run Windows 25% of the time because to not run it would be discrimination against Micro$oft's employees?

Living in a free country is about choice, not the removal of choice that so many liberal groups try to achieve under the disguise of "equality".

You choose your lifestyle. Don't expect your choices to be appreciated by everyone and don't expect the law to force them to like you or hang out with you. I personally chose to wear long hair, not shave for weeks at a time and wear army boots. I don't expect the local trendy bar to let me in. Should I scream "discrimination" and use the law to force them to let me in or should I just go hang out with other people with long hair and army boots?

Removal of choice, at any level, is the path to a dark, dark place. Mac users, of all people, should understand this.

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2003, 07:34 PM

Originally posted by fxbezak:
The ACLU has no problem saying that the boy scouts should be forced to let in anyone, but im pretty much screwed if I stand in times square and sell pictures of Hitler.
The ACLU is famous for defending the free speech rights of Nazis ( http://www.kansaspress.ku.edu/strwhe.html ). If you want to stand in Times Square and sell pictures of Hitler (why doesn't this surprise me?), there's a good chance that the ACLU would defend your right to do so.

n~s
Forum Regular
May 20, 2003, 07:39 PM

Chris
It's a fear thing. Scoutmasters usually take their troop out to the woods for days at a time. People are afraid to leave their kids with guardians who don't share their value system.

There's hothing wrong with being an athiest or a homosexual, but lots of parents wouldn't feel comfortable leaving their kids alone with one. They figure an athiest doesn't fear a god and will lack the same morals that a non-athiest claims to have. A lot of people think that homosexual also means pedophile and don't want to leave their kids alone with someone who might harm them. Neither of these assumptions are neccessarily true, but they're both common beliefs by a lot of people with kids who are interested in sending them to scouts.

So the Scouts can either try to make gay athiests happy or try to make the parents of most of their kids happy. Considering that their funding comes from the kids, who do you think they're going to listen to? If the parents feel strongly about it and make a case against the Scouts, you might see some change. The Scouts are private and aren't guaranteed any kind of funding. It doesn't make sense for them to alienate the people who support them financially.

I'm not saying it's right, just that it makes sense.
You are not your signature.

simonjames
Mac Elite
May 20, 2003, 07:43 PM

so you bigots who think its ok to ban people - do you think the scouts would be allowed to get away with banning people based on skin colour? I don't think so - but go ahead and pick on gays by all means.

PowerPC 970
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2003, 07:58 PM

so you bigots who think its ok to ban people - do you think the scouts would be allowed to get away with banning people based on skin colour? I don't think so - but go ahead and pick on gays by all means.
If they wanted to, yes, they can choose to not admit people based on skin color. However, that is not part their agenda.

The fact to the matter is that it is a PRIVATE organization. They have the right to refuse admittance to anyone for any reason, period.

As I noted above, black colleges can refuse to admit white students. You don't call them bigots and racists, do you? Of course not, you're going to accuse me of taking it out of context because black people have historically been the center of persecution... blah, blah, blah, blah. It's a private organization that only accepts applications from a minority group.

Why don't you go boycott the Free Masons. I hear they have pretty strict regulations on who can and can't join their club.

Swiss Bob
Dedicated MacNNer
May 20, 2003, 08:28 PM

Did I mention the time when a gay acquaintence of mine suggested we go get a late beer at the gay bar due to the fact it was the only place open really late and the night was young? They wouldn't let me in 'coz I'm straight.

Did I mention the fact that the gay mayor of my city wanted to have a gay pride march and the requests by 98% of the city's population to have a "straight pride" march the week after were refused?

You spout equality, but when you get true equality you moan like there's no tomorrow.

Go form a gay atheist scouts and stop your screaming.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
May 20, 2003, 08:43 PM

Originally posted by Swiss Bob:
Did I mention the fact that the gay mayor of my city wanted to have a gay pride march and the requests by 98% of the city's population to have a "straight pride" march the week after were refused?
98% of the city wanted to have a Straight Pride march?

Remind me never to go there....

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2003, 08:54 PM

There's a natural tension between the First Amendment right to free speech (and the implied right to free association) and the state's interest in fighting discrimination. The law has evolved as follows (this is just a thumbnail, plain-English description):

a) The state may prohibit public accomodations such as hotels, airlines, and hospitals from discriminating. Since such facilities serve little or no political or religious purpose, any free speech or free association interests they might have are outweighed by the state's interest in fighting discrimination.

b) Truly private clubs may discriminate, because their interest in free speech and free association outweighs the state's interest in fighting discrimination.

c) Civic organizations like the Jaycees and the Boy Scouts are in-between. They retain the right to deny membership to a person, but only insofar as the admission of that person would significantly effect the group's ability to advocate a viewpoint. The Court held that the Jaycees had to admit women because it would not effect their purpose of promoting commerce. On the other hand, the Court held that the Boy Scouts did not have to admit gays or atheists because it would effect their ability to advocate certain values.

There are still cases pending on whether the government can give preferential treatment (e.g. subsidies, free meeting space) to a discriminatory group like the Boy Scouts.

Here's a link to the Boy Scout case:

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/script...0&invol=99-699

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 20, 2003, 08:55 PM

Did I mention the time when a gay acquaintence of mine suggested we go get a late beer at the gay bar due to the fact it was the only place open really late and the night was young? They wouldn't let me in 'coz I'm straight.
I guess they'd lose my business. Too bad for them. (How did they know you were straight anyway? The gheydar must have been working overtime...)

Sounds like it may become a similar situation for the Scouts in the coming years. They're starting to p.o. too many people now with their anachronistic policies.

talisker
Mac Elite
May 20, 2003, 09:03 PM

That's because the gay guy who wouldnt let you in, or the gay bar owner who made the policy, was an arsehole. In the same way, many straight people are arseholes. Simple really.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
May 20, 2003, 09:18 PM

Originally posted by typoon:
I think the scouts should be allowed to exclude who they want. They are a private organization and should be able to make there own rules like it or not.
I agree with this as a "can" argument. They should be allowed to exclude anyone they like. But they are still small minded bigots for choosing to exclude gays and atheists.

Discrimination may be a right for private organizations. But that doesn't make discrimination right in itself.

Zimphire
Baninated
May 20, 2003, 09:19 PM

That is the best you could come up with?

Why would a black person want to join a HATE group that is against them? Are you saying that boyscouts are actually a hate group towards gays and Atheist?

Man you need to try a little harder then that.
No that isn't what I was saying. As a matter of fact, I explained what I was saying in my post. I know , I know, you reading it wouldn't have made a very interesting reply for you but none-the-less. I said why would anyone want to be apart of a group that goes against your beliefes?

Zimphire
Baninated
May 20, 2003, 09:22 PM

I will not associate with people who do not believe in the same things as I do
Nonesense. Or I wouldn't be in here hanging out now would I? Actually, I tend to hang out with people that don't see eye to eye with me

That is exactly how we get Zimphires and Superchickens later in life.
You say that like it's something bad. Let me give you a hint. Not everyone agrees with your choice of morals. Just like not everyone agrees with mine.

And you talk about Christians being on their high horse.

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
May 20, 2003, 09:22 PM

Man, this has been a stimulating thread. Sure made my day!!!
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

Zimphire
Baninated
May 20, 2003, 09:25 PM

Naw, he made valid points. Most of your posts however...

Zimphire
Baninated
May 20, 2003, 09:26 PM

That's crap. It's the right of everyone in a free country to hang out with whoever they please. If they choose not to hang out with gays, straights, people with blonde hair, people who drive Neons, etc, etc, then that's their perogative.

Where is all of this non-discrimination PC stuff going anyways?

Am I going to have to sleep with an ugly bird or a guy every time I want to sleep with a gorgeous gal because to do otherwise would be discriminatory?

Am I going to have to like everyone, because to do otherwise would be discriminatory?

Am I going to have to run Windows 25% of the time because to not run it would be discrimination against Micro$oft's employees?

Living in a free country is about choice, not the removal of choice that so many liberal groups try to achieve under the disguise of "equality".

You choose your lifestyle. Don't expect your choices to be appreciated by everyone and don't expect the law to force them to like you or hang out with you. I personally chose to wear long hair, not shave for weeks at a time and wear army boots. I don't expect the local trendy bar to let me in. Should I scream "discrimination" and use the law to force them to let me in or should I just go hang out with other people with long hair and army boots?

Removal of choice, at any level, is the path to a dark, dark place. Mac users, of all people, should understand this.
Exactly. And these people are usually the one SCREAMING about freedoms being taken away. I guess it's ok as long as it suites their agenda.

Swiss Bob
Dedicated MacNNer
May 20, 2003, 09:35 PM

Originally posted by talisker:
That's because the gay guy who wouldnt let you in, or the gay bar owner who made the policy, was an arsehole. In the same way, many straight people are arseholes. Simple really.
Exactly. In a free country, everyone has a right to be an arsehole. Including the Scouts.

Swiss Bob
Dedicated MacNNer
May 20, 2003, 09:37 PM

Originally posted by maxintosh:
98% of the city wanted to have a Straight Pride march?

Remind me never to go there....
You miss the point. If the mayor had called for a straight pride march, then quite probably that same 98% of the city population would have been calling for a gay pride march. It's called "equality" and we understand the true meaning of the word quite well here.

Anyhow. What makes a gay pride march right and a straight pride march wrong? Are you a heterophobe or something?

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2003, 09:46 PM

They wouldn't let me in 'coz I'm straight.
Or maybe you're ugly.

Just kidding, just kidding . . .

AB^2=BCxAC
Grizzled Veteran
May 20, 2003, 09:47 PM

Freedom is based on tolerance, but discrimination is based on intolerance. There's no little-thin line to cross, it's a pretty big border that most of us know when we're crossing.

Except when it comes to these four things, again and again and again: religious bias, ethnocentrism, homophobia, and chauvenism.

When some people have their blinders on to those problems, and they go about trying to enforce the status quo (where their intolerance directly effects status and social power of victims), there are other people out there who have spent their lives trying to learn about why the status quo is so damn ignorant and inflexible. They ask why someone's freedom is less important than anothers.

Freedom isn't just for special interest groups, or conversely isn't just for victims. If you want to protect a group's freedoms, you have to protect an individual's freedoms too. And the mandate for many who see problems with discrimination is to alleviate oppressive intolerance, not to barge in where they aren't wanted.

Yeesh.
( Last edited by AB^2=BCxAC; May 20, 2003 at 09:54 PM. )
"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." Richard Ashcroft

shanraghan
Senior User
May 20, 2003, 10:39 PM

Originally posted by typoon:
IMO Yes if it so desires. Much like a "private" Country club can exclude who they want.
Alright then. How about this: in the 1960s and earlier, shoe shops, clothes shops, and various other types of stores would force people of color to take backseats, lesser service or simply refuse service. These were private organizations. Do you believe that was within their rights? Should they be allowed to do that?
[CENSORED]

Newbies generally fulfil one of two functions: being a pain in the ass or fodder for the vets. If they survive to Senoir Membership, then their role undergoes a little change...

shanraghan: self-appointed French-speaking Chef de MacNN! Serving gourmet newbie-yaki to vets since the demise of the Drunken Circle Tool!

Saul Goode
Forum Regular
May 20, 2003, 10:57 PM

Originally posted by shanraghan:
Alright then. How about this: in the 1960s and earlier, shoe shops, clothes shops, and various other types of stores would force people of color to take backseats, lesser service or simply refuse service. These were private organizations. Do you believe that was within their rights? Should they be allowed to do that?
Shops and stores are NOT "private organizations". They are privately owned, yes, but they are public places. The same rules don't apply.

There is a private, adult club near me that is an open sex/swinger scene.(er, don't ask me how I know about it) Naked people boinking wherever they please and they don't allow you in unless you are a single woman, or a MF/FF couple. (no MM) How do you think that behavior would go over in a shoe store? Or even a public bar where it is adults only? They would be in dezeep shiznit. Different rules for different situations.

If a practicing Klansman or Nazi tried to join the Nation of Islam, you gonna back him up? Didn't think so.

I'll stop using the term "colored" as soon as they do.
I'm somewhat of an enigma: an atheist conservative.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
May 20, 2003, 11:50 PM

Wow, I wasnt aware of the fact that bars ID you AND ask your sexual preference before entering....

I'll go get the hose, cause your knee high in BS.

Chris

maxintosh
Mac Elite
May 20, 2003, 11:54 PM

Anyhow. What makes a gay pride march right and a straight pride march wrong? Are you a heterophobe or something?
Every day is a straight pride march. In the store, on the street, in the movies... Heterosexism runs rampant.

You clearly miss the point of gay pride. You and the 98% of the population that was clamoring for a straight pride parade. It would be quite redundant...

maxintosh
Mac Elite
May 20, 2003, 11:56 PM

Wow, I wasnt aware of the fact that bars ID you AND ask your sexual preference before entering....

LOL, exactly. I'd love to go to a bar that asks for your Homo Membership Card.

Your clothes must have really clashed that night....

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2003, 11:59 PM

Originally posted by Saul Goode:
There is a private, adult club near me that is an open sex/swinger scene.(er, don't ask me how I know about it) Naked people boinking wherever they please and they don't allow you in unless you are a single woman . . .
That's no club - that's my house.

simonjames
Mac Elite
May 21, 2003, 12:06 AM

I'm not American (though I have lived in Chicago for a year) and I've never heard of same-race colleges - its another form of discrimination and therefore shouldn't be allowed.

As for Swiss Bob and the gay bar - how the hell did the bouncer know you were straight? Do you dress *that* badly? Or maybe it was your attitude? Or maybe this story is complete BS?

And Saule - the shop scenario is pertinent to this argument. Sorry you don't see it that way. Clubs, bars, shops etc do have the right to not admit people they don't like but if there is a pattern to it then its discrimination.

The sex club discrimination scenario is quite common - I have a friend who tried to get into a club one night wearing trainers. The bouncer wouldn't allow him in on the account of his shoes. The next night he came back with his girlfriend wearing exactly the same shoes - walked past the same bouncer without a problem. He was so pi$$ed.

What point am I trying to make? Most people here have never been the target of harrassment or discrimination. Because of this you will never understand what its like to be on the wrong end of the stick. Not your problem - just be a little more tolerant/understanding.

Treat others as you would like to be treated yourself. Not a religious commandment - just a way of making the world a nicer place to live in.

Swiss Bob
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2003, 12:08 AM

Yeah. You're right. You've probably tried to get into way more British gay bars than I have, so I'll bow to your superior judgement.

Swiss Bob
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2003, 12:14 AM

As for Swiss Bob and the gay bar - how the hell did the bouncer know you were straight? Do you dress *that* badly? Or maybe it was your attitude? Or maybe this story is complete BS?
No, it's not BS. It happened. I've no idea how the guy knew I'm straight, but he did.

But then, I, as a straight guy, can tell if a guy's gay just by looking at him (mannerisms, way he holds himself, etc). If I can do this, surely gay guys can do the opposite?

Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2003, 12:19 AM

You miss the point. If the mayor had called for a straight pride march, then quite probably that same 98% of the city population would have been calling for a gay pride march. It's called "equality" and we understand the true meaning of the word quite well here.

Do you even know what the poing of a gay march is or are you incredibly stupid?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Swiss Bob
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2003, 12:21 AM

Originally posted by maxintosh:
Every day is a straight pride march. In the store, on the street, in the movies... Heterosexism runs rampant.

You clearly miss the point of gay pride. You and the 98% of the population that was clamoring for a straight pride parade. It would be quite redundant...
No, you're wrong. "Every day" is a bunch of people walking around minding their own business and not pushing their sexuality into everyone else's faces.

Funny how heterosexuals don't feel the need to take "pride" in their sexuality, isn't it? Why do homosexuals feel the need to take "pride" in theirs?

I ask again: If you can have a "gay pride" march, why can't heterosexuals have a "straight pride" march? You're not discriminating, are you?

forkies
Mac Elite
May 21, 2003, 12:22 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
...I said why would anyone want to be apart of a group that goes against your beliefes?
then

Originally posted by Zimphire:
...Actually, I tend to hang out with people that don't see eye to eye with me

Mystical, magical, amazing! | Part 2 | The spread of Christianity is our goal. -Railroader

Swiss Bob
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2003, 12:23 AM

Do you even know what the poing of a gay march is or are you incredibly stupid?
So what's the point? And why can't heterosexuals have their own marches too?

Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2003, 12:24 AM

Funny how heterosexuals don't feel the need to take "pride" in their sexuality, isn't it? Why do homosexuals feel the need to take "pride" in theirs?
because we are the ones discriminated by everyone, religious groups, beat up and not even acknowledged by our own government (even though we pay taxes) you idiot.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Saul Goode
Forum Regular
May 21, 2003, 12:28 AM

And Saule - the shop scenario is pertinent to this argument. Sorry you don't see it that way. Clubs, bars, shops etc do have the right to not admit people they don't like but if there is a pattern to it then its discrimination.

The sex club discrimination scenario is quite common - I have a friend who tried to get into a club one night wearing trainers. The bouncer wouldn't allow him in on the account of his shoes. The next night he came back with his girlfriend wearing exactly the same shoes - walked past the same bouncer without a problem. He was so pi$$ed.

I see what you are trying to say, but the main point I was making is that though a bar and the sex club are privately owned, the bar couldn't get away with letting/encouraging people to get naked and screw out in the open. At the club it is perfectly legal. Different rules for different situations.

Enforcing anti-discrimination laws in public shops and such is to ensure that EVERYONE is allowed fair and equal acces to society. The boyscout thing is NOT the same.

I'll stop using the term "colored" as soon as they do.
I'm somewhat of an enigma: an atheist conservative.

Swiss Bob
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2003, 12:37 AM

because we are the ones discriminated by everyone, religious groups, beat up and not even acknowledged by our own government (even though we pay taxes) you idiot.
No, sorry dude. You can't have one rule for yourselves and another rule for everyone else. Equality doesn't work like that.

If you have gay marches, you must be prepared for people to want to have straight marches. If you have pro-black organisations, you must be prepared for people to have pro-white organisations.

You can't have one rule for yourselves and another rule for everyone else.
You can't spout "equality" whilst denying other people the right to do what you do.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
May 21, 2003, 12:42 AM

But then, I, as a straight guy, can tell if a guy's gay just by looking at him (mannerisms, way he holds himself, etc). If I can do this, surely gay guys can do the opposite?
My, my, arnt we biggoted tonight? And how may I ask do you know a gay guy when you see one? Because of stereotypes right? Yeah, I thought so.

Loser.

Chris

Nicko
Professional Poster
May 21, 2003, 12:46 AM

My, my, arnt we biggoted tonight? And how may I ask do you know a gay guy when you see one? Because of stereotypes right? Yeah, I thought so.

Loser.

Chris

He must have put alot of time and effort into perfecting his 'gaydar'

Forum Links
Forum Rules