Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > e-mailing photos from Mac to Pc

e-mailing photos from Mac to Pc
hawiken
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2001, 05:42 PM

Maybe someone can help: I'm taking photos of the house I'm building with a Kodak DC 120, saving them as JPEG's with Graphic Converter, and e-mailing them to the client through AOL. The trouble is, he says that he can't open them on his Windows 95 machine. I don't know what programs that he's running for graphics, and neither does he (!). I do know that he can open JPEG photos from another Windows machine, so I'm stumped. I thought that JPEG is a cross platform format, but maybe I need to send them as another format-Graphic Converter will do almost anything in that regard, I think. Any help will certainly be appreciated. Thanks, Ken.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2001, 09:55 PM

The problem may be your method of encoding on your Mac. In order for my Wintel-using family to get my pictures I had to change my email program's encoding to MIME. What email program are you using? I have Entourage and Outlook Express. The encoding options are in your Preferences file in the email application. In either of these, go to Compose in Preferences and look for "click here for attachment options." That will bring a menu of choices, all of which are o.k. for a Mac. Wintel users need to receive MIME encoded files. My Dad uses AOL on a Dell PC and he can see all my pictures from my G3 Power Mac since I switched to MIME encoding.

------------------
"There is no spoon."
iDisk: rseijas
Homepage: homepage.mac.com/rseijas

[This message has been edited by rambo47 (edited 02-11-2001).]

hawiken  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2001, 04:34 AM

Thanks for the reply, Rambo. I'm using AOL for e-mail, and I can't figure out how to change the encoding to MIME, as you suggest. I'll ask AOL support. Thanks.
Just one more reason why I love my Macs. Ken

Indigo Boy
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2001, 11:58 AM

This may be a really dumb question, but are you using the .jpg suffix on your title? (Do Windows computers still have to have a .jpg suffix to recognize the graphic as a JPEG?) Just a thought.

hawiken  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2001, 12:04 PM

Yes, I used the .jpg suffix. First thing that I tried. I think that the guy just doesn't know how to open them. I think that I really need to find out what graphics program he has. I don't know anything about Windows; does it have some native graphics support? Thanks for the help. Ken

austeros
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2001, 06:49 PM

try to zip the files before you send them (there should be shareware programs that do this) that might help

There's someone in my head but its not me...

artman
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2001, 08:20 PM

Here's a quickie and it'll work in all of these...the web browsers. First he saves the attachment(s) in a new folder. Then have him open Netscape/IE/or AOL's browser and in the application's File menu go to Open and he should have a choice for .jpg. They'll open in there.

I had a tough time opening some .jpgs from a friends digital camera on his Wintel set-up. They opened fine on his set-up but not my Mac (even in PhotoShop!) I opened them in Netscape then re-saved them. Then they opened fine. Just me two cents...

OH, and have him check out this Windoze App. Called LView Pro. A cheap but feature rich Image Viewer...
http://www.lview.com/index800.htm

------------------
The Artman @_@
http://www.artshack.com

[This message has been edited by artman (edited 02-12-2001).]

Bennylen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2001, 10:53 AM

I had a similiar problem in the past.

Are you sending him multiple files at once? If so, then AOL may automatically combine them into a stuff-it file (.sit). Most Windows machines aren't set up to read and decompress .sit files. If your friend is receiving .sit files then he needs to load stuff-it so he can decompress them.

hawiken  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2001, 03:54 AM

Aloha, Bennylen,
You are exactly right. I found that if I sent one photo at a time, he could open them. But, this is what I did...I am accessing AOL through their bring your own access program, so I had another ISP. I had been reluctant to set up another e-mail account through that ISP, just because, well, because everything is on AOL- my address book, etc. But business demanded changes, so I did set up that account, sent the photos encoded as MIME 64 bit, and voila, success. Thank you all for your help. BTW, I still haven't heard from AOL support.
One other thing, not to criticize anybody; I feel the slightest bit superior to the client because of his lack of computer skills, but he IS building a vacation home at a price tag of about 2.75 mill, so he can't be THAT stupid... Thanks to you all again,Ken

Jim Retzner
Feb 15, 2001, 01:14 AM

What about inserting your photos in your e-mails? I do often with Eudora Pro. A friend has sent photos via AOL to me using the same method. Just a thought.

Forum Links
Forum Rules