Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Movie Recommendation : Nausicaa Of The Valley Of The Wind

Movie Recommendation : Nausicaa Of The Valley Of The Wind
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2006, 05:04 AM

Like some of you may know ive neveer been a fan of Japanese Animation. But after a good discussion with some of you here in a thread over a year ago, i took a chance with "Spirited Away" ..... then came "Howl's Moving Castle" ...made by the same Studio (Sudio Ghibli) (and directed by the same dude... Miyazaki).

I rented "Nausicaa Of The Valley Of The Wind" yesterday ...... it's an animated movie from 1984... same studio, same director as well. And it delivers.

The story is amazing, the animation beautiful, and something i recommend to anyone. In fact if your never been a fan of Japaneses animation....take a chance and rent out any of the 3 movies mentioned here. you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Also on a side note....the musical scores of these films are absolutely beautiful..... different, not bad different, great different. And something id love to add to my music collection.

Anyway, if you havent already, check this movie out.

Cheers

IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
Apr 14, 2006, 05:15 AM

Cartoon Netowrk has been playing his films every Saturday evening and I caught bits and pieces of it. I need to go buy it so I can watch the entire film now. If you liked those others, you'll also like then Princess Mononoke as well, one of my favorites.
- Eric

Spliff
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2006, 05:42 AM

Awesome film! Also check out Porco Rosso (it's fun and lightweight) and especially "Laputa: Castle in the Sky."

The Internet
Baninated
Apr 14, 2006, 06:08 AM

Someone timeline him. God.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2006, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by IFLY2HIGH
Cartoon Netowrk has been playing his films every Saturday evening and I caught bits and pieces of it. I need to go buy it so I can watch the entire film now. If you liked those others, you'll also like then Princess Mononoke as well, one of my favorites.
Yup, Princess Mononoke is a great movie as well. i love the whole 'nature' theme in Miyazaki's movies.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Apr 14, 2006, 09:54 AM

Just about anything by Miyazaki is good. He's one of the best in his field, and his work seldom if ever fits any of the common anime stereotypes.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Daveecee
Forum Regular
Apr 14, 2006, 10:00 AM

I like most of Miyazaki's work. Heck, I even enjoyed Panda Go Panda!

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2006, 07:48 PM

Nausicaä is an awesome flick. I first saw it as a Japanese language bootleg video shortly after its Japanese release. It has long been one of my favorites and with the newish release of Nausicaä and the Valley of the Wind, I get to watch this show with my daughter. Miyazaki's films are always in heavy rotation with my family.

Side note: I see Miyazaki's son is directing an anime version of Wizard of Earthsea... sounds promising.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 14, 2006, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by The Internet
Someone timeline him. God.
It's still 10 times better than any of your threads.

Miyazaki is a great filmmaker, and Nausicaa is probably his best work. Not necessarily the most complex, but a really good movie overall. I'll second (or seventh or whatever) the recommendation.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2006, 08:43 AM

The manga is one of the best reads I've ever had. If you can find it, read it. Its long, complex, and well drawn.

But who doesn't love My Neighbor Totoro?

FeLiZeCaT
Senior User
Apr 16, 2006, 11:20 AM

I really loved that movie, and I also greatly appreciated the manga. Wonderful.
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this, going flat-out, than some people in their lifetime

- Burt

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2006, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Spliff

Awesome film! Also check out Porco Rosso (it's fun and lightweight) and especially "Laputa: Castle in the Sky."
Seconding Porco Rosso
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2006, 09:41 PM

I watched 'My Neighbour Totoro' yesterday. it was.....different. I really liked the way they portrayed the relationship between the two sisters...very realistic imo. i didnt get teh whole totoro thing...didnt make much sence to me. but it's a beautiful movie (visually) to watch.

Cheers

hart
Senior User
Apr 24, 2006, 01:22 PM

we were just watching "Spirited Away" yesterday which I find very ominous but which my kids, 5,7 and 10 don't seem disturbed by, altho, a 5 yr old friend finds the coal sprites terrifying. These movies seem to strike the mind at a more symbolic rather than literal level so making sense isn't always the point. Maybe my children's subconcious minds are less timid than mine.

I think I'll go get Princess M. and see it myself.

anyway, if I have to consider one more "humorous" computer-animated movie about smart aleck animals going wild/escaping/having an adventure in NYC/being forced to go on some kind of trek etc etc I think I'm going to scream. We seem to be in a painfully repetitive streak of copy-cat movies made by people who for some reason are convinced that if a computer made it it must be good. Miyazaki, save me!!

Rev-O
Mac Elite
May 14, 2006, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
I watched 'My Neighbour Totoro' yesterday. it was.....different. I really liked the way they portrayed the relationship between the two sisters...very realistic imo. i didnt get teh whole totoro thing...didnt make much sence to me. but it's a beautiful movie (visually) to watch.

Cheers
Just sat down with my daughter and watched Totoro today for the first time.
Fantastic show! from me, from my 5 year old daughter. Perfect for curling up with a kid and escaping.
So far everything I've seen by Miyazaki is golden. I'll have to get Porco on of these days.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

FeLiZeCaT
Senior User
May 14, 2006, 04:48 PM

Miyazaki is one of those modern storytellers we can forget only with difficulty. Stories are unlike any others, protagonists are coming out from dreams, and there is kindness along the way in the most unlikely places.

I love it.
( Last edited by FeLiZeCaT; May 15, 2006 at 06:47 AM. )
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this, going flat-out, than some people in their lifetime

- Burt

Scifience
Mac Elite
May 14, 2006, 09:33 PM

Everything Miyazaki does is pretty amazing.

Nausicaa is absolutely great. It is a shame that it never (AFAIK) got a run in the theaters here in the US. It seems that the major American distributors are afraid of anime, for the most part.

Howl's Moving Castle is actually one of my least favorite Miyazaki movies; the story simply doesn't seem to hang together as well as in some of the others. Of course, from a visual aspect, it is outstanding, just like all of Ghibli's other stuff.

Totoro is, well, Totoro. Not much else to say about it. Wonderfully charming, but very different from most movies. A note: do not buy the US Fox release. It is terrible. The Japanese DVD is R2, but has English subtitles/audio and is a much better DVD. Fox cut scenes out for the US release.

One of the most under-appreciated Ghibli films is Neko no Ongaeshi (roughly "The Cat's Return," I don't know the actual English title). While it isn't directed by Miyazaki (IIRC, he was the executive producer), it has the same charm to it as all of his own films. If you haven't seen it, I'd highly recommend it. Amazon.jp link: http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/...600883-8362626

Another somewhat less 'popular' Miyazaki film is Majo no Takkyuubin (roughly "Witch's Express Delivery Service"). Another very charming Ghibli film that I highly recommend. Amazon.jp link: http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/...600883-8362626

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 14, 2006, 09:53 PM

The English title of Majo no Takkyuubin is Kiki's Delivery Service. I don't think Neko no Ongaeshi was released for English audiences, though I could be wrong.
Chuck
___

cpt kangarooski
Mac Elite
May 15, 2006, 12:46 AM

Chuckit--
It's out on video. Don't recall it in theaters, though.

Anyway, all this and no one's mentioned Castle of Cagliostro? For shame.
--
This and all my other posts are hereby in the public domain. I am a lawyer. But I'm not your lawyer, and this isn't legal advice.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2006, 02:58 AM

Scifience - The new Disney release of Totoro is great.

I recomend viewing all his films too.

-Owl

Scifience
Mac Elite
May 15, 2006, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by cpt kangarooski
Chuckit--
It's out on video. Don't recall it in theaters, though.

Anyway, all this and no one's mentioned Castle of Cagliostro? For shame.
That one was before Ghibli, which is why I think I forgot to mention it. Oops.

Scifience
Mac Elite
May 15, 2006, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by OwlBoy
Scifience - The new Disney release of Totoro is great.
Ah, didn't know that was out yet. That's good to know for telling other people, even though I'm perfectly content with my R2 release. Thanks.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 15, 2006, 01:35 PM

I just really don't like anime style of animation. I tried to watch that other movie he did and I couldn't get past 10 minutes.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2006, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
I just really don't like anime style of animation. I tried to watch that other movie he did and I couldn't get past 10 minutes.
What bugs you that much about it?

-Owl

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2006, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by Scifience
One of the most under-appreciated Ghibli films is Neko no Ongaeshi (roughly "The Cat's Return," I don't know the actual English title).
Ongaeshi is repayment for a favor done, not "return." I don't think it has an official English title, but I'd translate it as "The Cat's Appreciation" or something like that.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
May 16, 2006, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
Odd. I'm not a big anime fan, but the Ghibli style is far from [stereo]typical of the fare. It's really something different entirely.

The one anime-styled anime I could get into was Cowboy Bebop. Fantastic soundtrack; fun show.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Scifience
Mac Elite
May 16, 2006, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by wataru
Ongaeshi is repayment for a favor done, not "return." I don't think it has an official English title, but I'd translate it as "The Cat's Appreciation" or something like that.
That's what I was trying to get at. "Return" meaning "return a favor." Thanks for clearing it up; I make a bad translator.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 16, 2006, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by OwlBoy
What bugs you that much about it?

-Owl
It reminds me too much of stop motion or a flip book.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2006, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Scifience
That's what I was trying to get at. "Return" meaning "return a favor." Thanks for clearing it up; I make a bad translator.
"The Cat's Return" makes it sound like a sequel to "The Cat"

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2006, 12:56 PM

"The Cat's Return" makes it sound like a sequel to "The Cat"
That's the third movie. You have:

The Cat
The Cat 2: The Revenge!
The Cat 3: The Return!

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2006, 02:18 PM

Where does "Son of The Cat" fit in?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2006, 02:29 PM

That would be the direct-to-video sequel released several years later without any of the original cast.
Chuck
___

G Barnett
Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2006, 02:39 PM

And for the past few days, I've had that "Ohmu Theme" from Nausicaa stuck in my head. Whistling, humming, you name it. Oh, well. Could be worse pieces of music to have lingering around.

This is indeed, one of my absolute favorites.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2006, 02:52 PM

Where does "Son of The Cat" fit in?
The Cat 4: Son of The Cat
The Cat 5: The Litter
The Cat 6: Return of the Jedi

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2006, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by G Barnett
And for the past few days, I've had that "Ohmu Theme" from Nausicaa stuck in my head. Whistling, humming, you name it. Oh, well. Could be worse pieces of music to have lingering around.

This is indeed, one of my absolute favorites.
Hehehe....i know what u mean. i get the Howl's moving Castle and Nausica theme stuck in my head all the time. Maybe cause i listen to em all the time.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2006, 10:52 AM

Just watched Laputa: Castle in the sky and Porco Rosso ..... Laputa was amazing.

you kind of notice a common 'theme' between his movies. flight is always given a high standing in his movies. here's also a subtle theme on the importance of nature and the futility(is this a word?) or 'technology'.

I also started to notice the evolution of character design between his movies.

Porco Rosso, was ....different.....very different. it was enjoyable if a bit slow at times, but definately entertaining.

I definately recommend Laputa if you enjoyed Nausicaa, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle or Princess Mononoke.

Cheers

Forum Links
Forum Rules