Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > USB/Firewire Hub?

USB/Firewire Hub?
magneticpoet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2007, 04:14 PM

I'm in the market for a USB and Firewire hub for my Mac Mini/G4. I'm considering the "Belkin Hi-Speed USB 2.0 and FireWire 6-Port Hub for Mac mini" but it has mixed reviews at the apple store. I'm wondering if anyone has any input on that or any other hub that would be helpful. I need it mostly to work with my M-Audio Mbox2 and the Protools USB iLok or eKey or whatever it's called that lets you use the DSP plug-ins. When I try plugging the items into the USB ports on my keyboard, I get the low power error, so I need something with plenty of power.

Any suggestions?

blackmacx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2007, 05:04 PM

I was in the same boat and decided to do one better; I decided to buy a Newertech ministack v2; it's an USB 2/Firewire hub and it also an external hard drive enclosure. It also has the ability to automatically power-up and down when you turn your Mac on or off. I haven't received the unit yet, but reviews have been very good and it's also a secure way to have a backup unit (hard drive) as well. It also allows for a possible faster boot with the OS (if you want) installed on a 7200rpm drive as opposed to a 5400 or 4200rpm drive that would be in your Mac.

If you want, the place I bought my unit from was OWC: NewerTech miniStack FireWire and USB Hub and Hard Drive up to 750GB at OtherWorldComputing.com

I have bought things from them previously and they've been great.

Good luck,

BlackMacX
20" iMac (Intel)/2.1Ghz/1GB/250GB

magneticpoet  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2007, 06:22 PM

Cool, thanks. I just ordered the 250 gig. I'd like to use it as the system drive, but ProTools doesn't recommend you record to your system drive. Anyone know why that is? Is it really a bad idea?

blackmacx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2007, 07:28 PM

I would think the reason is disk thrashing and such; that being you don't necessarily want the System drive being both the OS drive and Protools one due to having to write (and I am just postulating here) alot of data to and from the HDD and also that it might take up a significant amount of space. Beyond that, you probably will get better performance from a separate drive for your audio recording due to needing to convert or save audio files (and you'd know better) that might be huge.

I would suggest that if you find the ministack v2 meets your requirements, make the Mac mini's drive your record to drive. If you need more space, or such, you could by another ministack v2.

Good luck and I get mine tomorrow. I am using it as my backup drive for my iMac (intel). I have an existing 200GB HDD to add into it (as I bought the empty ministack v2 w/o backup software (as I have it already)).

Cheers,

BlackMacX

blackmacx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2007, 07:29 AM

Just a quick update, I got the Newertech ministack v2 on Friday and set it fully up; the unit as stated on various forums is very small, the powered hubs are great and it's very quiet when in use (the noisiest thing about it is the hard drive spinning up or down and the requisite head arms turning on or off). I would say it's a great buy. The only issue it the import duty into Canada, it's made the unit more expensive than it might have been (if it were available in Toronto (where it's available, the dealer is perpared to charge a $25 shipping fee, which in CAD $ brings the unit to $5 more than it was to order it from OWC with the import duty added on).

I would get another unit without issue; though I want a SATA based enclosure and presently the only one of the same design it by MacPower.com.tw; I will wait for it to become available before ordering another, or I might just get a 2 or 4 bay SATA to Firewire enclosure from Weibetech.

Cheers,

BlackMacX

magneticpoet  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2007, 12:08 PM

My USB ports aren't working. Is there some configuration needed or do I need to run a usb cable from the HD to the Mini? Is that a dumb question? I just figured the Firewire connection handled all the communication between the Mini and the external?

Mr_E
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2007, 12:20 PM

You DO need to run a short USB cable. (mine came with a short USB and a FW).
You can use the FW for the drive data, and the USB can just act as a hub.

So there should be 2 cables from mini > ministack.

Originally Posted by magneticpoet View Post
My USB ports aren't working. Is there some configuration needed or do I need to run a usb cable from the HD to the Mini? Is that a dumb question? I just figured the Firewire connection handled all the communication between the Mini and the external?

magneticpoet  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2007, 02:52 PM

I knew that. (Not really.) Thanks. I guess that's why I only get one star next to my name.

magneticpoet  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2007, 05:44 PM

OK-The HD works as advertised so far. It is a little loud, but I imagine they all make SOME noise. [/I]

TonyM
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2007, 06:43 PM

I live in Toronto and i'm looking at getting the ministack v2 250GB. I just wanted to know what the final cost were with shipping, duties, taxes etc. Can you tell me what retailler you were talking about "(where it's available, the dealer is perpared to charge a $25 shipping fee, which in CAD $ brings the unit to $5 more than it was to order it from OWC with the import duty added on)." This would be great to know. Thank you very much

HowEver
Feb 3, 2007, 11:11 PM

I'd like to see an answer to this also!

Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
I live in Toronto and i'm looking at getting the ministack v2 250GB. I just wanted to know what the final cost were with shipping, duties, taxes etc. Can you tell me what retailler you were talking about "(where it's available, the dealer is perpared to charge a $25 shipping fee, which in CAD $ brings the unit to $5 more than it was to order it from OWC with the import duty added on)." This would be great to know. Thank you very much

blackmacx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2007, 09:36 AM

In response to both TonyM's and HowEver's questions, here is my reply for all to read; I hope it helps.

Further to your questions, the import duty from OWC and everything added about $20 CAD onto the cost (adjusted from US to CAD $); the final cost was about $110 CAD (for the bare case, cables, etc.); considering the price for the unit from OWC (in USD is $149 for the 250GB unit from NewerTech), I would think the end price would be about $200 CAD with shipping, duty, etc. The Canadian supplier is a Mississauga firm called MacDoc and the end price for the same empty unit that I got from the US would have been $91+tax+delivery charges (so, about $127 or so CAD all told). If I were able to pick it up in person, that's would have made it on par with OWC's price; but since I don't have a car, that idea was not possible. MacDoc is the only supplier I could find in the GTA at all. I will note, the ministack v2 is very quiet, the inclusion of a powered FW and USB hub is great too. The only drawback I find is the rate at which the drive ( you either place in the empty unit or in your case, will come with it) goes to sleep or wakes up. It's not really an issue, just something to note. Compared to other firewire/external enclosures I have bought, this is the quietest, smallest (for a 3.5" HDD) and coolest (temp) of any. The unit is sturdy, good looking and from a technical point-of-view, it is both very easy to construct and is very solid; so for anyone who might want to use it for a HDD of their own, it's a breeze (and for one who has experience, it's a matter of less than 5 minutes to build (in my case, I found)). Having the hub is a bonus feature. I will say, I am looking for a second one, but will wait until the SATA compatible ones are released (MacPower.tw.com has them, I think they are Newertech's supplier).

Good luck and email me if you have any questions I mightn't have answered.

Cheers,

BlackMacX

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2007, 04:27 PM

Very cool, I was looking at the MiniStack v2 for purchase in a few months to share among my 3 Macs.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Forum Links
Forum Rules