Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > When new doesn't equal new (on ebay)

When new doesn't equal new (on ebay)
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 4, 2008, 07:54 PM

Just another cautionary tale for eBay buyers. A seller with nearly a 100% feedback rating (with >100 feedbacks) was Apple's in-ear earphones as new for a great price. I decided it was worth it to buy although the price seemed too low to be real. What I got in the mail was a small envelope containing just the earphones (not even the case for them), wrapped in a twist tie and with a strange piece of metal connecting two apparently severed pieces of the cord. I emailed the guy saying that I was dissatisfied and felt ripped off because the earphones weren't "new," lacked Apple packaging and were obviously repaired after being damaged. He had the nerve to respond with the claim that they actually are new and that he just discarded the packaging to save on shipping cost but that I could return it for a refund if I wanted to. Caveat emptor I suppose. It's just unfortunate - this is the first time I was burned on eBay.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2008, 08:21 PM

that's crud. who's the seller so i know not to buy from him/her??

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 4, 2008, 08:23 PM

A great big whopping negative feedback is in the works, I assume? "Tool," "jerk," "whacko" and other terms don't belong in that feedback, but "I felt ripped off, this was NOT a new item" and "the seller tried to get me to believe that he discarded the packaging to 'save on shipping' but it's obvious to anyone that the item has been repaired." That sort of thing.

Sorry for your problem-I hope you didn't spend much. Oh, and alcohol (I'd use 90%) works great for sanitizing things like earpieces...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2008, 01:05 PM

A friend bought a "new" Nokia N95 from some dude on eBay, trying to save $100 vs. the price at Tiger Direct.ca. What he got was some cheap-ass Chinese phone, that apparently had already been used since it listed China Mobile under locations, wrapped in an N95 knock-off case.

Caveat emptor applies triply so for eBay.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

silver
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2008, 02:18 PM

I have to agree, although I didn't buy anything from the fellow in question. I recently bought a Lacie D2 x18 burner(new) from ebay and I'm happy with purchase, the thing that burned me was that the box was unsealed, meaning the top flap for the Lacie box was just flapping in the wind so to speak and It looked like someone rummaged through the box taking out the blank media it came with. I little scotch tape would have done wonders.

Oh well the seller on ebay was espot. So far the unit burns and plays dvd's well and quiet. Just hated the box situation.
 MBP 17" 2.16ghz, ATI x1600 256, 100GBHD, 2GB ram, 23"AppleLCD

Forum Links
Forum Rules