Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Newbie Help Required

Newbie Help Required
Big George
Dec 5, 2000, 10:04 PM

G4 Tower with a clean h/d and for some reason I cannot start up from DVD Drive using restore cd.
Keep getting single folder(smiley) and flashing question mark.

Should I be worried or is this a simple problem to solve.

Any help will be gratefuly received.

Big George

G4 400Mhz 1mb Cache
20.5 gb Maxtor
128mb PC 100
DVD Drive
16mb ATI Rage 128
etc....

Dalgo
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 5, 2000, 10:59 PM

Have you tried holding down the c key or the option key when you boot?

WDL
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 5, 2000, 11:40 PM

Is the CD the one that shipped with your Mac?

WDL

cpu101
Dec 6, 2000, 03:57 AM

When ever a folder with a question mark shows up at startup it means your startup system folder cannot be found on the disk. Whenever you run into this problem it is usually solved by performing a mind meld on your computer (zapping the Pram and or holding the little red cuda button for 10 secs) This task is performed by holding the "p"+"r"+"option"+"apple" key at restart of course.

And if that doesnt help ya then try these helpful suggestions

1. Holding down the spacebar at startup will let you select a set of extensions/control panels before the system actually loads them. Holding shift at startup disables them.
2. Holding the "option" key at startup lets you select an alternate startup disk. For instance an external drive or a internal zip.
3. Holding the "c" key like the previous post stated is a boot from cd option.
4. And if all fails then you must startup holding the "shift"+"apple"+"option"+"delete" keys that usually does it for me.

There are some ways to optimize overall performance on your mac and if your interested please let me know.

Oh ya BTW!

You cant startup from a restore disk! It is for restoring software already installed on your computer therefor not having a valid system folder to boot from. Use the install disk that came with your system.

Jim Retzner
Dec 7, 2000, 01:37 AM

I've used my "Restore" CDRom to "restore" my G4 to its "out of the box" condition.
� boot up your Mac with the Restore CDRom in the drive and hold the "C" key down.
� when the install window appears chose the option for initializing your hard disk and restoring the Mac operating system.
� when it is finished installing restart your Mac.
� you'll see the Mac logos on a blue background with your restored system.

I hope this proves helpful to you.

------------------

MikeM32
Banned
Location: "Joisey" Home of the "Guido" and chicks with "Big Hair"
Dec 8, 2000, 03:26 AM

Occasionally some machines may not take the "C-Key" method, in which case use the Start-Up disk control panel, and select the CD as your start-up disk, then re-boot and restore the system.

Then when completed, simply switch the start-up disk back to your Hard Drive again before re-booting.

Mike

Jsnuff1
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2000, 12:30 PM

Originally posted by MikeM32:
Occasionally some machines may not take the "C-Key" method, in which case use the Start-Up disk control panel, and select the CD as your start-up disk, then re-boot and restore the system.

Then when completed, simply switch the start-up disk back to your Hard Drive again before re-booting.

Mike
hes saying that he cant boot up the system all, so how could you use the start-up disk control panel....First make sure all your cables are connected probably to your HD, if its not that then either something is wrong with the HD or the ATA diver

when you say your HD is clean do you mean its got no system software on it??In that case something is wrong with your CD-Drive

[This message has been edited by Jsnuff1 (edited 12-08-2000).]

beeH
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2000, 12:59 PM

Also MAKE SURE you disco EVERYTHING from your Mac!!!!
no printers, scanners, ext zip, cdrw etc....
Mac OS for productivity.
UNIX for stability.
Palm OS for mobility.
Windows for solitaire.

Forum Links
Forum Rules