Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > mouse on my G4 died

mouse on my G4 died
jgales
Jan 3, 2001, 01:43 PM

After a restart on my AGP graohics 400 MHz G4 the mouse didn't work. Several more restarts returned the same result. The keyboard works, i am using it now! I switched the port and it didn't help. It is the puck mouse. I am limited as to what i can do, some things just need the mouse (extensions, software installs...). I can probobly get another mouse on loan pretty soon but is there a fix? I also booted with the programmers button down and it said there was a USB error (i forget the real wording, but it was to that effect)

Ruddigger
Senior User
Jan 3, 2001, 04:43 PM

Consider this a hint from whatever deity you prefer. In another words, use this an an excuse to GET A NEW MOUSE! i actually didn't mind the puck as much as most everyone else did, but after goig 3 button, I'll never go back. I suggest UniMouse by Contour...

------------------
-Ruddigger
------------------
Have you had your
gigaflop today?
Proud owner of the Original Macintruck

jgales
Jan 3, 2001, 06:06 PM

yeah i have a wacom tablet... I love it but a few days ago my machine started to have errors on startup, forcing me to boot w/o extensions. Soi went with the basic sys extensions and zapped the PRAM. That worked, i was jsut starting to add extensions and didn't get to the tablet yet. So i can't get the tablet to work b/c i have no mouse to move the extensions. I can get to extensions manager but there is no way to select on or off .

giambi1616
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2001, 01:13 AM

This has no real direct relation to the original post, but here goes:

I bought the new Microsoft InteliMouse, and I installed the driver. Then I re-started my computer. It wouldn't even boot up! I tried this more then 5 times, untiul finally I tok the mouse out, and put the old one back it. Guess what - worked fine.

damn microsoft....

------------------
-giambi1616

"It's not the size of your Mhz, but it's what you do with it."
-giambi1616

"It's not the size of your Mhz, but it's what you do with it."

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2001, 02:58 AM

My Intellimouse works fine, although occasionally, something on my USB bus gets gets corrupted by staying on too long, so I restart everything. If the mouse is plugged in through a hub, I suggest restarting that.
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

Jim Retzner
Jan 7, 2001, 04:08 AM

I've been using Kensignton's TurboBall and it works like a charm. Just be sure to go their web site and get the lastest version of MouseWorks.

georgius
Jan 7, 2001, 01:36 PM

go buy an Apple Pro Mouse. They are great, and I love m,ine to bits. The hocky puck wasn't that bad though....

Rand
Forum Regular
Jan 7, 2001, 05:05 PM

It is well known that the puck-mice, however cute, are sometimes manufactured extrememly badly. I set up a lab of 34 iMacs, and 3 had faulty mice. Apple knows, and supposedly they will replace it, but I'd just buy a new one. The micro-------- intelimouse is good ( I had to say it) and the new apple one is good also.
I had a friend lose his G4 puck, so he just got the new apple one and loves it.

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2001, 09:09 PM

I like the sensitivity and looks of the pro-mouse, but it only has one button.

I tried both intellimouse trackballs and I'm too uncoordinated or something.

Bought an intellimouse explorer(M$ just sells it, HP invented and designed it) This thing rocks, and the pro-mouse sits in a corner.

Forum Links
Forum Rules