Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Should Gwen Ifill be replaced as VP Debate Moderator?

View Poll Results: Should Gwen Ifill be replaced as VP Debate Moderator?
Poll Options:
yes 17 votes (62.96%)
no 10 votes (37.04%)
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll
Should Gwen Ifill be replaced as VP Debate Moderator?
Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2008, 11:08 AM

Gwen Ifill, scheduled to be the moderator for the VP debate, has a book to be released on Inauguration Day. The name of the book? The Breakthrough: Politics and Race in the Age of Obama

There is some question whether or not Ifill should step down and allow someone else to moderate the VP debate. In most cases, this would be considered a conflict of interest.

According to Greta Van Susteren
in law, this would create a mistrial.
I guess it would be like a judge writing a book about the defendant during the trial.
45/47

Atheist
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2008, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
I guess it would be like a judge writing a book about the defendant during the trial.
I'm not sure I buy that argument. She's acting as a moderator. Her role is not to judge. If there is a history of her performing her job in a biased manner than I would agree. The fact that she wrote a book about Obama is not in itself reason to disqualify her.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2008, 11:43 AM

The mistrial analogy doesn't hold up exactly, but it is a conflict of interest. Can you see Sean Hannity being allowed to moderate one of these debates?

I can see why people would be upset. I'm a little turned off by it, to be honest.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 1, 2008, 11:51 AM

Ifill?

Ifill?

Previous life in the packing department at Apple?
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2008, 11:52 AM

Yep, it's not as clean as I'd like it to be. That said, I'm holding out hope that Palin will wipe the floor with Biden and everyone else, mostly because everyone thinks she can't.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Gee-Man
Senior User
Oct 1, 2008, 11:56 AM

Without knowing the contents of the book, which none of us have read, it's hard to say whether she is biased or not. The title doesn't sound all that pro-Obama - you'd have to be a fool to claim that writing a book about politics and race shouldn't include analysis of Obama.

Gwen Ifill isn't exactly known as a partisan gun-slinger, so comparisons to Hannity are completely off the mark. The McCain campaign certainly knows who Gwen Ifill is and agreed to have her moderate well in advance, so I doubt this is anything more than the right-wing blogosphere's weekly freak-out.

Before you guys try to work the refs in advance, wait until the actual debate. If she asks questions you guys don't like, I'm sure we'll all hear about it. Endlessly.

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 1, 2008, 12:03 PM

Didnt the McCain camp have a say in this? I would imagine they did... so quit whining.

paul w
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2008, 12:04 PM

I agree. There's waaaay too many conclusions being jumped to here.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2008, 12:19 PM

Has there ever been a reason before now to question Gwen Ifill's impartiality during a debate?
If so, then having someone with a pattern of bias moderate a debate is not good.
If not, then what does writing a book about race in a Presidential election have to do with her role as moderator? Nothing.*

*Unless you assume that as a black woman she is partial to the black presidential candidate because of their shared racial background. Of course, seeing how she is a woman she could also be partial to the female vice-presidential candidate because of their shared sex. So, who will she be more biased towards, the candidate of her same race or the candidate of her same sex?
(Do you see how DUMB it is to employ this line of reasoning?)
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

SDW2001
Forum Regular
Oct 1, 2008, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by TheWOAT View Post
Didnt the McCain camp have a say in this? I would imagine they did... so quit whining.
They say they didn't know.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2008, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
Yep, it's not as clean as I'd like it to be. That said, I'm holding out hope that Palin will wipe the floor with Biden and everyone else, mostly because everyone thinks she can't.
Keep holding on to that hope. Doesn't matter who the moderator is, Palin is about to get introduced to national politics the hard way.

SDW2001
Forum Regular
Oct 1, 2008, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy View Post
Has there ever been a reason before now to question Gwen Ifill's impartiality during a debate?
If so, then having someone with a pattern of bias moderate a debate is not good.
If not, then what does writing a book about race in a Presidential election have to do with her role as moderator? Nothing.*
Yes, there has been reason. She snipped at Cheney at least once, for example. And I have a feeling if the tables were turned, you'd be freaking out if this was someone coming out with a book called "McCain: War Hero, Senator, American."

*Unless you assume that as a black woman she is partial to the black presidential candidate because of their shared racial background. Of course, seeing how she is a woman she could also be partial to the female vice-presidential candidate because of their shared sex. So, who will she be more biased towards, the candidate of her same race or the candidate of her same sex?
(Do you see how DUMB it is to employ this line of reasoning?)
Yeah, I do. That's why no one is saying that. It's a strawman argument.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2008, 12:33 PM

Let 'em replace her, I don't feel like hearing hearing bitching about how Palin didn't get a fair shake.

Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post
Yes, there has been reason. She snipped at Cheney at least once, for example.
Apparently the McCain campaign didn't find this problematic, else they'd have objected before.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2008, 12:42 PM

The last thing they want is for her to be replaced. They just want an issue to harp about, like they always do.

Bob Schieffer, who is moderating one of the presidential debates, is a close family friend of Bush. Schieffer's brother was in business with Bush and was appointed an ambassador by Bush. Should he step down?

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2008, 12:57 PM

I agree with Dakar, replace her, if only because she'll give Republicans an excuse for Palin's fans to cry. Either way, she is in for a pounding, since McCain won't be able to sit next to her and answer the tougher questions.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2008, 01:02 PM

Apparently the McCain campaign didn't find this problematic, else they'd have objected before.
They didn't know.

Also: from this article:

During a vice-presidential candidate debate she moderated in 2004 – when Democrat John Edwards attacked Republican Dick Cheney's former employer, Halliburton – the vice president said, "I can respond, Gwen, but it's going to take more than 30 seconds."

"Well, that's all you've got," she told Cheney.

Ifill told the Associated Press Democrats were delighted with her answer, because they "thought I was being snippy to Cheney." She explained that wasn't her intent.

But she also was cited in complaints PBS Ombudsman Michael Getler said he received after Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin delivered her nomination acceptance speech at the Republican National Convention in St. Paul, Minn., earlier this month.

Some viewers complained of a "dismissive" look by Ifill during her report on Palin's speech. According to Getler, some also said she wore a look of "disgust" while reporting on the Republican candidate.
Video of the Palin incident seen here. Watch closely at the end of the clip.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2008, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Reread my post, you didn't get it.
( Last edited by Dakar V; Oct 1, 2008 at 01:11 PM. )

tie
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2008, 01:10 PM

McCain needs to suspend his campaign straightaway until this can be settled.
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2008, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by tie View Post
The cynical side of me is waiting for them to call for the debate to be suspended or cancelled until a suitable replacement can be found.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2008, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
The last thing they want is for her to be replaced. They just want an issue to harp about, like they always do.

Bob Schieffer, who is moderating one of the presidential debates, is a close family friend of Bush. Schieffer's brother was in business with Bush and was appointed an ambassador by Bush. Should he step down?
Schieffer hasn't written a book of praise for any politician. If he does feel one way or the other about any candidate, he has never (as far as I know) displayed any telltale signs of support. He's a terrific, impartial journalist, and that hasn't been brought into question. If Schieffer's relationship with the Bush family (of which I could find no solid details) was anything to be worried about, then you would have seen it all over the liberal blogosphere. Maybe as the third debate approaches, it will become an issue.

Regardless of how Gwen Ifill feels towards the candidates, she should've known that writing this book would damage public perception of her journalistic detachment and impartiality. It was an unwise move on her part.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2008, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
Reread my post, you didn't get it.
I only read parts of posts that match what I'm thinking in my head.

Or else I speed-read through your post and TOTALLY missed it. Color me red.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2008, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by tie View Post
I'll admit...I chuckled.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2008, 01:52 PM

Schieffer hasn't written a book of praise for any politician. If he does feel one way or the other about any candidate, he has never (as far as I know) displayed any telltale signs of support. He's a terrific, impartial journalist, and that hasn't been brought into question. If Schieffer's relationship with the Bush family (of which I could find no solid details) was anything to be worried about, then you would have seen it all over the liberal blogosphere. Maybe as the third debate approaches, it will become an issue.
I saw a look on Schieffer's face one time when he was talking to Biden.

Regardless of how Gwen Ifill feels towards the candidates, she should've known that writing this book would damage public perception of her journalistic detachment and impartiality. It was an unwise move on her part.
It was unwise of her to write a book? That she was working on long before she was asked by the two campaigns to be a debate moderator?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2008, 02:25 PM

She certainly does have an advantage in that everyone's expectations for her are low. All she really needs to do is hold her own and she might be seen as wiping the floor. Perhaps her performance in interviews to date have been carefully calculated to this goal ...

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2008, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Perhaps her performance in interviews to date have been carefully calculated to this goal ...
That'd be genius.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2008, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
I saw a look on Schieffer's face one time when he was talking to Biden.
Who doesn't have a look on their face when talking to Biden? Even his friends in the Democratic party have to utter the phrase, "No, Joe! Don't say that!" from time to time.

It was unwise of her to write a book? That she was working on long before she was asked by the two campaigns to be a debate moderator?
She was a VP debate moderator in '04. Why wouldn't she expect that possibility again?

And isn't she a journalist 24/7, 365? All I'm saying is that a flattering book about Obama's politics is not the type of thing someone gets into while trying to maintain an impartial image.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2008, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Perhaps her performance in interviews to date have been carefully calculated to this goal ...
That'd be genius.
Whew...the Couric interview was brutal...

Because of [EDIT - *sigh*] Palin and Couric.
( Last edited by Jawbone54; Oct 1, 2008 at 03:42 PM. )

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2008, 02:52 PM

I would totally vote for anyone running for office who used the slogan, "VOTE FOR PAIN"
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2008, 02:53 PM

"bring PAIN to the white house"

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2008, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
"bring PAIN to the white house"
"PAIN is the answer"

paul w
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2008, 03:00 PM

oh by the way:

"The McCain campaign itself has not complained."

I think if they did then we'd have something to talk about.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2008, 03:06 PM

"No PAIN, no GAIN"
( Last edited by ShortcutToMoncton; Oct 1, 2008 at 03:24 PM. )

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2008, 03:10 PM

And isn't she a journalist 24/7, 365? All I'm saying is that a flattering book about Obama's politics is not the type of thing someone gets into while trying to maintain an impartial image.
I'd like to see the book before I judge. It's a book about black politicians, not Obama. That doesn't seem like such a stretch for someone who's black and in political analysis. If it's like one of these many "George W. Bush: Our dear leader" books that are clearly campaign propaganda, obviously that would be inappropriate. I doubt that's what it is though.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2008, 03:24 PM

Seems to me that someone is judging a book based upon its cover. Merely mentioning Obama's name in the title is supposed to disqualify her from being a debate moderator? I think you'll have to do better than that.

OAW

PS: There is a reason why this is only a headline on Foxnews.com. And it doesn't reflect well on Foxnews.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2008, 03:25 PM

"Honesty. Integrity. Trust. PAIN."

macintologist
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2008, 05:26 PM

Yes, only to shut up the whining conservatives

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2008, 05:36 PM

Some relevant info ....

PBS journalist Gwen Ifill, moderator of the upcoming vice presidential debate, dismissed conservative questions about her impartiality because she is writing a book that includes material on Barack Obama.
Ifill said Wednesday that she hasn't even written her chapter on Obama for the book "The Breakthrough: Politics and Race in the Age of Obama," which is to be published by Doubleday on Jan. 20, 2009, the day a new president is inaugurated.
Originally Posted by Gwen Ifill
"I've got a pretty long track record covering politics and news, so I'm not particularly worried that one-day blog chatter is going to destroy my reputation," Ifill said. "The proof is in the pudding. They can watch the debate tomorrow night and make their own decisions about whether or not I've done my job."
Originally Posted by Sen. John McCain
"I think Gwen Ifill is a professional and I think she will do a completely objective job because she is a highly respected professional," he said Wednesday.
Ifill said Obama's story, which she has yet to write, is only a small part of the book, which discusses how politics in the black community have changed since the civil rights era. Among those subjects is Colin Powell, secretary of state in the Bush administration.
Ifill questions why people assume that her book will be favorable toward Obama.

"Do you think they made the same assumptions about Lou Cannon (who is white) when he wrote his book about Reagan?" said Ifill, who is black. Asked if there were racial motives at play, she said, "I don't know what it is. I find it curious."
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i...Zf73wD93HU6CG0

Sounds like some on the right may be using this foolishness to set the stage for the "biased liberal media" excuse if Palin has a bad debate performance tomorrow. Especially if she gets asked about the rather telling, yet alarmingly comical, interviews she's given lately.

OAW

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2008, 05:38 PM

I knew I should've waited before voting.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 1, 2008, 05:41 PM

Genius.

They should try playing with font colors.

Bring PALIN to the white house

No PALIN, no GAIN

Honesty. Integrity. Trust. PALIN.

-t

finboy
Oct 1, 2008, 06:13 PM

I haven't been able to find the reference about Gwen Ifill being in the governor's mansion with the coup folks during the Grenada invasion.

Wonder if that's just a rumor.

The Crook
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 1, 2008, 06:59 PM

15 votes yes?

Is this place generally conservative or something??
( Last edited by The Crook; Oct 1, 2008 at 07:13 PM. )

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2008, 07:01 PM

Here's the publisher's description (from Amazon.com)

In THE BREAKTHROUGH, veteran journalist Gwen Ifill surveys the American political landscape, shedding new light on the impact of Barack Obama’s stunning presidential campaign and introducing the emerging young African American politicians forging a bold new path to political power.

Ifill argues that the Black political structure formed during the Civil Rights movement is giving way to a generation of men and women who are the direct beneficiaries of the struggles of the 1960s. She offers incisive, detailed profiles of such prominent leaders as Newark Mayor Cory Booker, Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick, and U.S. Congressman Artur Davis of Alabama, and also covers up-and-coming figures from across the nation. Drawing on interviews with power brokers like Senator Obama, former Secretary of State Colin Powell, Vernon Jordan, the Reverend Jesse Jackson, and many others, as well as her own razor-sharp observations and analysis of such issues as generational conflict and the "black enough" conundrum, Ifill shows why this is a pivotal moment in American history.

THE BREAKTHROUGH is a remarkable look at contemporary politics and an essential foundation for understanding the future of American democracy.
It seems pretty clear to me that this is just a case of an unfortunate title. It's not at all comparable to writing a book about McCain as a war hero. A more apt comparison would be if a debate moderator had written a book about the impact on American politics of the rise of the generation of American politicians who had served in the Vietnam War.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Chongo  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2008, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
Some relevant info ...
Ifill said Obama's story, which she has yet to write, is only a small part of the book, which discusses how politics in the black community have changed since the civil rights era. Among those subjects is Colin Powell, secretary of state in the Bush administration.

OAW
Hmmm, Ifill discusses her book here. She states the book will be about four young African-Americans: Sen. Barack O' Bama, Gov. Patrick Duvall, Mayor Corey Booker, and Rep. Artur Davis. This was added to YouTube 9/17/08. She does not mention Sec. Powell. Two reasons, he's not young or Democrat
( Last edited by Chongo; Oct 1, 2008 at 07:50 PM. )
45/47

paul w
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2008, 07:15 PM

Nor was he elected to public office.

stumblinmike
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 1, 2008, 07:51 PM

Ha Ha Ha, Ha Ha Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, stop it, you're killing me. Ha Ha Ha, Ha Ha Ha,

Paco500
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2008, 10:12 AM

The Obama campaign should be demanding she be replaced. She could very well end up taking it easy on Palin to avoid charges of bais. Or, perhaps, she will take it easy on her as everyone knows it's not nice to tease the kids on the short bus.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2008, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Hmmm, Ifill discusses her book here. She states the book will be about four young African-Americans: Sen. Barack O' Bama, Gov. Patrick Duvall, Mayor Corey Booker, and Rep. Artur Davis. This was added to YouTube 9/17/08. She does not mention Sec. Powell. Two reasons, he's not young or Democrat
Oh jeez just give it a rest will you? The woman just said yesterday to the Associated Press that Colin Powell would be covered in her book. A book that is .... now try really, really hard to follow me ok ....... a book that is not done yet!

So how does a YouTube video posted a month ago in anyway contradict the statement she made to the AP yesterday?

How does a YouTube video posted a month ago in anyway contradict the synopsis of the book distributed by the publisher?

I mean seriously ... some of you right-wingers need to stop and do something novel ... like think .... before you start spouting off your latest tirade that is rooted in nothing more that ideology and hyper-partisanship. Conservatives writers and commentators are up in arms over this supposedly "pro-Obama" book. Amazing how they magically know this is what it is when the section on Obama hasn't even been written yet! And now here you are making a totally inane comment which basically says that you think you know more about what the unfinished book is about than the author herself.

If Gwen Ifill says that she, as the author, is going to cover Colin Powell in her book then any thinking person has no reason whatsoever to not to take her at her word. If the book is published, and Colin Powell is not mentioned ... then, and only then, will you be in a position to talk sh*t. Until then .... just get over the fact that Sarah Palin has shown herself on national TV to be remarkably uninformed and incoherent on some rather basic issues. Can she spout off right-wing talking points? Sure. Is she easy on the eyes? Most definitely. Has she come across as intelligent, informed, and articulate on national issues in interviews? Not so much. Will she do well in tonight's debate? We shall see. But I won't hold my breath because giving a speech full of talking points is one thing .... answering direct questions with a coherent answer that is actually on topic is quite another.

Continuing to harp on Gwen Ifill and her supposed "bias" only reveals the conservative desperation to prop up Palin .... who has demonstrated herself to be far from presidential material. Anyone who is familiar with Washington Week In Review knows that Ifill is about as professional and even-handed as they come.

OAW

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2008, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
Oh jeez just give it a rest will you? The woman just said yesterday to the Associated Press that Colin Powell would be covered in her book. A book that is .... now try really, really hard to follow me ok ....... a book that is not done yet!
Yes...just YESTERDAY she said this. Prior to yesterday, the book had Obama's name in the title and was a positive story of Obama and 4 other young black politicians. This in addition to the free PR story she did on Obama that you can find here:

Essence.com - The Obamas: Portrait of an American Family

Could you point to where she's ever done any kind of positive major story on John McCain? Surely, if these positive Obama mentions are just part of her job as a journalist that she's done the same kind of reporting for McCain or Palin? If you just ignore her obvious disdain for Palin and chalk that up to simply misunderstanding Ifill's reactions or exaggerating them, surely she's got a balance for all this pro-Obama stuff right?

Sometimes, you guys just kill me

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2008, 12:09 PM

lol, if you have something positive to say about Obama, you're partisan!

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2008, 12:19 PM

lol, if you have something positive to say about Obama, you're partisan!
No, if you have something positive to say ONLY ABOUT OBAMA, you're partisan. It's not rocket science.

Forum Links
Forum Rules