Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > 3G Nano: Praise and Complaints

3G Nano: Praise and Complaints
ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2007, 11:28 PM

In the PLUS column...

I love the design of this thing. The pics do not do it justice.
Video looks incredible on the small screen.
The new interface is great.
I love the big album art, I didn't realize how much better it was until I saw my old Nano for the first time today. It looks archaic.
I love that the star ratings show up on the song display without having to click over to see them.
The new games are a nice step up. Solitaire is actually playable.
I swear that it sounds better and is a little louder overall.

In the minus column (some of these are very nitpicky)
This thing is buggy. I'm having all sorts of small annoying problems.
--When I click on a playlist, and then find the song I want in the playlist, it will frequently (about 33% of the time) skip ahead to the 2nd or 3rd song in the list.
--When I click on a podcast, it will start for one second and the turn off. Clicking on it again starts it every time. This happens about 75% of the time.
--Album art that I know is on there does not show up... and then will show up later.
--For some reason it keeps loading smart playlists I'm not asking it too. For example, I have a smart playlist for unrated songs in iTunes, and it has about 100 songs in it. I have another for the TV Shows I want to sync to my iPod. The TV playlist is set to sync and the not rated is not. A TV show will somehow end up in my not rated playlist, and then the playlist will show up on my Nano, but with only the TV show in the list. Totally weird.
--It's locked up on me a few times

In addition to the bugs...
I do not like how it always switches over to a dull white screen showing the time. I wish you could turn this off.
When using the sleep timer, the amount of time remaining does not show up anywhere, unlike every other iPod I have ever used.
When navigating from a song back to the top menu, it ALWAYS hangs for about 2-3 seconds when going from the list of songs to the music menu. Every time.
The click wheel is hard to find and use in a pocket. It doesn't have a very tactile feel.
It takes about twice as long to eject then my old Nano did.
Albums that have a lot of white on them look funny on the now playing screen. If the edges are white, it looks like a weird floating logo in a bunch of white space. There is no stroke around them.

At any rate, even though I just listed about 20 thing that annoy me about this thing, I do absolutely love it.I just wish that Apple would fix most of these problems soon, because they are annoying.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2007, 11:43 AM

Almost all of those issues will probably be fixed in a software update. I do love the new nano too. Apple's done a wonderful job with it.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2007, 12:27 PM

Would you recommend the new nano to by mother who is in her early fifties and has never used an ipod?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2007, 12:41 PM

No, get her a shuffle. Got my mom one and she loves it. Although she can name almost any song on any radio station, so she knows what's playing and what year it came out and if it was a platinum hit.

ort888  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2007, 01:08 PM

I would say that the Nano would be a better choice.

It's just as easy to use as any iPod, so anyone should be able to pick it up.

The shuffle really isn't that much easier to use. Plus, for $70 dollars more you get a screen, 4 times the storage and all of the extra bells and whistles the Nano comes with. Even if she won't use most of the features, just being able to go and pick the album she wants will be worth it.

You can always simplify the main menu for her so that she doesn't get overwhelmed with options she doesn't need.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

xtal
Senior User
Sep 20, 2007, 02:53 PM

Thanks for the review. I appreciate the in-depth analysis and the discussion of oversights. I agree that many will be fixed in upcoming updates, so you have a great deal to look forward to.

An aside: I still don't think it's enough to justify an upgrade from my recently-purchased 2G nano, especially since I love the Marware armband I have for running with the Nike+ system.

To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2007, 08:09 PM

I think the Nano it is... thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules